Old SOTS1 Tarka artwork too Japanese.

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse as Discovered in The Pit

Moderator: Erinys

SandboxHead

Old SOTS1 Tarka artwork too Japanese.

Post by SandboxHead » Sun May 01, 2016 12:11 pm

This is a lore suggestion from an owner of SOTS1 and The Pit. I do not know how it is for Tarka illustrations in SOTS2.

Basically, for future SOTS lore I recommend moving Tarka away from a stock homage of feudal Japan, in terms of visuals. I don't think it fits the species, and fantasy/ sci-fi races looking like samurai is really, really tired. Feudal Japan imagery has been so overused, it is no longer exotic. I have low tolerance for fantasy artists who think the entire world is either feudal England, or feudal Japan. :?

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Re: Old SOTS1 Tarka artwork too Japanese.

Post by ZedF » Sun May 01, 2016 12:21 pm

1. I suspect the ship has sailed for defining the Tarka; they are what they are. You would have needed to voice your opinion years ago.

2. For every person who finds a popular trope overdone, you'll find more who love it; hence its popularity. 'X is overdone' is maybe valid for choosing what new lore to come up with, but not a good reason to change established lore.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

SandboxHead

Post by SandboxHead » Sun May 01, 2016 12:25 pm

ZedF wrote:1. I suspect the ship has sailed for defining the Tarka; they are what they are. You would have needed to voice your opinion years ago.

It's actually not difficult at all to change Tarka illustrations, considering that the actual lore text never connects Tarka to Asian-like culture. The motif is entirely visual.
Game franchises change their visual motifs all the time through the successive games, with evolving styles and artists.
However, if the artists doubled-down on the Japan motif for Tarka in SOTS2, then I can see how it would be difficult. I don't know; I don't have SOTS2.

Ciurrioc

Post by Ciurrioc » Sun May 01, 2016 3:18 pm

While Tarka Illustrations in Sots 2's Lore Book show's Asian inspired culture as well from the Artists perspective, they aren't solely depicted as such, they have "Euro" Influences as well (Silver Era Armor and Weapons" and with the Character Icons you can pick for that race in game there aren't folks wearing Kimonos now are there :D.

my Long winded point is, its Artist's rendition. its going to draw from somewhere and "asian" influences were closest to what they had envisioned for the Tarka's. If anything the Hivers draw closer parallels to Feudal Japan Culture if anything.

they didn't have any of the races seem Euro-centric either, and managed to get some Meso/South American influences in on/from ( :awesome: ) the Morrigi too.

to say nothing about the Loa.

"Don't worry about it" is what I'm getting at. and Welcome to the Forums, always nice to have new blood
Has seen the Cover of the fabled Mecronomicon

"Who's hands shape what is"

Been around since 07...forum ate my account...rip 8/3/13

SandboxHead

Post by SandboxHead » Sun May 01, 2016 11:44 pm

In SOTS1 illustrations, Tarka in space battles do not have any Japanese motifs. Hopefully the Japanese motif is purely historical/ ceremonial for them.
I know there are no medieval visual homages in SOTS; I was complaining in general regarding fantasy genre (and sci-fi to a lesser extent). It's gotten to the point of staleness: everything is either medieval, or samurai.
The worst offender in recent memory, for me, was Might & Magic Heroes 6 (HoMM 6). The Nagas should have had awesome Hindu/ Indian flavor, but became... wait for it... Japanese. UGH. :x

Ciurrioc

Post by Ciurrioc » Mon May 02, 2016 1:55 am

to get slightly off topic one of the Largest cringe worthy instances of Japanese renditions on an Alien race was that short film about the Elites and the first arbiter in the Halo Universe, -that- was terribad
Has seen the Cover of the fabled Mecronomicon

"Who's hands shape what is"

Been around since 07...forum ate my account...rip 8/3/13

MZ0125

Post by MZ0125 » Fri May 20, 2016 12:12 pm

SandboxHead wrote:In SOTS1 illustrations, Tarka in space battles do not have any Japanese motifs. Hopefully the Japanese motif is purely historical/ ceremonial for them.
I know there are no medieval visual homages in SOTS; I was complaining in general regarding fantasy genre (and sci-fi to a lesser extent). It's gotten to the point of staleness: everything is either medieval, or samurai.
The worst offender in recent memory, for me, was Might & Magic Heroes 6 (HoMM 6). The Nagas should have had awesome Hindu/ Indian flavor, but became... wait for it... Japanese. UGH. :x

They feel just fine to me. At least they are not generic "reptilian" ships like in many other 4x games.

SandboxHead

Post by SandboxHead » Sat May 21, 2016 1:39 pm

MZ0125 wrote:They feel just fine to me. At least they are not generic "reptilian" ships like in many other 4x games.

I was talking about the Tarka themselves in the loading pictures, not about their ships.
However, their ships in SOTS1 do look "reptilian". Not that I have any problems with that.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon May 23, 2016 11:11 pm

SBH perhaps you should take into account that similar environments lead to similar solutions 8)

Return to “Son of The Lore”