GP resolution and Android phones

Spaceships may control the black, but planets are controlled in the mud.

Moderator: Erinys

BlueTemplar

GP resolution and Android phones

Post by BlueTemplar » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:27 pm

The GP alpha seems to run in 1280x768.
I suppose that no version of the game for lower resolutions will be made?

But then the problem is that only about 10% of android devices will be able to run GP (and about half of them tablets)...

So, isn't it a bit misleading saying that GP will be out on Android phones and tablets when actually only about 6% of the phones (and about half of the tablets) will have a resolution high enough to run it?

Maybe telling that "GP will be out on highest-resolution phones and tablets (1280x768 and over)" would be more appropriate?

Source for the numbers (obviously, highest resolution devices will have a larger % by Christmas, but I doubt it will be a big change considering how many android devices there are already out there...)
http://developer.android.com/about/dash ... index.html
http://developer.android.com/guide/prac ... ml#testing

ddub
Kerberos

Re: GP resolution and Android phones

Post by ddub » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:43 pm

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=48152&hilit=doom
This is early testing on an android device (Nextek's phone). I have also have it running fine on my tablet (Acer Iconia 500), which is over a year old.

Thanks,

Cpt. Awesome

Post by Cpt. Awesome » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:47 pm

I would suggest in general perhaps not taking any "tech" numbers from the PC alpha and making assumptions for other platforms. The usefulness of such extrapolation is likely not very high.

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:42 pm

Hmm, so there will be a different UI?
My bad, I should have looked at that screenshot again first.
I was worried when I saw that the card flavor text and the white icons over the units were showing as quite tiny even on my rather low DPI screen and wondering how it all will play out, compared to the UniWar UI...
(Also the cards seem to be about 480 pixels high...)

Nextek
Kerberos

Post by Nextek » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:13 pm

The game scales to fit the device.

The UI will be nearly identical across platforms.
The biggest risk on smaller devices is buttons/controls being too small, but we are working on making sure this doesn't happen.

On my Nexus 4 everything remains very playable, some UI is abit squished, but this is to be expected.

also note ddub linked to a picture of the first version to run on android, that UI is very basic. I will get a more recent pic when I can.

Return to “GP General Discussion”