Kickstarter video updated!

Spaceships may control the black, but planets are controlled in the mud.

Moderator: Erinys

castewarkp
Site Admin

Kickstarter video updated!

Post by castewarkp » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:10 am

We updated the Kickstarter video to hear a bit more from the team (and show off a few neat new things) - moving ahead, we'll be replying to some of the questions people have via video as well!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ker ... d-pounders

Space Voyager

Re: Kickstarter video updated!

Post by Space Voyager » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:18 am

I love the vid, much more personal (literally...). Please upload it to YT, too, so we can spam it around!
ErinysSolForce Intelligence has great difficulty penetrating Liir society to that depth, for obvious reasons. fibioLack of scuba gear?

Resok
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Resok » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:20 am

Very nice, dig the new video!

ScoSteSal118

Post by ScoSteSal118 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:07 pm

Yay, nicer video!

One thing that confused me for a moment, however, was in the 4th minute how Mr. Waine said that the hand-painted-in-one-piece map had to be loaded in pieces in game and then Mr. Blanks said that the whole map is rendered in one big chunk, not chopped up and done in tilesets. I initially thought that they were saying contradictory things (since afaik "render" can refer to things being loaded/drawn in game as well as referring to the actual first drawing/creation of the art) but then realized the second aforementioned meaning of the word. Is this confusion just me, or is it likely to cause enough confusion to merit an edit of the video? In any case, I thank you for taking the time to make this new version of the video and read feedback on it.

ddub
Kerberos

Post by ddub » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:26 pm

That was Mr Naso (Nextek that said that).

What we do is we hand paint the maps. We then run the map through a tool that chops it up into many hexes. This way, we do not need to load the entire map into the game and consume all the memory. This is not as much an issue for the PC as it is for mobile devices. If you've noticed the hexes "pop" when you are zoomed into the map and scroll around, those are the chopped up pieces being loaded to enable high def maps.

Thanks,

Nextek
Kerberos

Post by Nextek » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:52 pm

Yes as ddub said.

Myself and Ryan were talking from the technical and art side respectively.

Art-wise the source maps are one very large continuous image that bring mobile devices to their knees.
Tech side we have a tool that chips them into individual hexes, which can be loaded on the fly. This reduces the strain on mobile devices to nearly non-existent.

marshb

Post by marshb » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:26 pm

Very nice! Also, I liked the first edition of The Deacons Tale on the wall behind Mecron! I need to enshrine mine too! :D
Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future.

Orison of Sonmi-451

mcratdog
Kerberos

Post by mcratdog » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:30 pm

LOL I think what I was trying to say was that we don't have to assemble maps using random chopped up tile-set pieces but rather I paint them as one whole individual map(which then gets chopped up into specific pieces). Sorry wasn't very clear, our interviews were somewhat spontaneous and off the cuff causing my brain to not function quite at 100%;)hehe

Ryan

Ciurrioc

Post by Ciurrioc » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:19 pm

Hi Erinys hope you do voice overs for GP <3, Lmfao Mec's swagger, it made me mad and smile at the same time <3 go kerb Go. it was nice seeing the team :D
Has seen the Cover of the fabled Mecronomicon

"Who's hands shape what is"

Been around since 07...forum ate my account...rip 8/3/13

Return to “GP General Discussion”