How we can help beyond pledging: Recap

Spaceships may control the black, but planets are controlled in the mud.

Moderator: Erinys

Vanish

How we can help beyond pledging: Recap

Post by Vanish » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:30 am

Pretty much entirely based on data collected from Blue Templar's awesome initiative. Since faith isn't sufficient for everybody, and we silly apes tend to be result-oriented, I wanted to show how much something as simple as posting a topic and keeping it alive can assist crowdsourcing efforts.

This is a summary, whose goal is to hopefully assist us in doing better next time, and perphaps motivate some fans "on the fence" into action. It's also a reminder that if for whatever reason you're unable to pledge; there is still a lot you can do!

Facts
:mg: In a few topics, it was quite clear we succeeded in drawing extra pledges. See the RSI topic, where Space Voyager also happens to deftly handle the most common negative feedback you might get (SotS2 bla bla, and "lole ur first post").
:mg: When I was nearly done posting in Hawawaa's threads, I thought about throwing in some 2D art from kickstarter updates. It turns out some forum-goers absolutely loved the art. One, in particular, went apenuts over the tarkas-waving-on-tank picture, and helped keep the thread active (maybe he even pledged, who knows?)
:mg: There actually were very little negative replies, all in all. Maybe in 2 or 3 topics out of 15+, and one wasn't even related to any drama. Unfortunately, many topics were also left silent after they were created. This does not mean those topics accomplished nothing; only that there's more to be done on that front :thumbsup:
:mg: Shadow Wolf posted an overwhelming list of strategy/indie forums which are great spots to spread the word. We didn't manage to get all of them, but what an amazing effort! Good place to start next time.
:mg: 2 forums in particular had tricky policies about what could be construed as "advertisement". One reply in particular thought the link to the Kickstarter was commercial and reported the topic. Another forum strongly suggested that an admin be contacted before advertising for crowdsourcing. No actions were taken on either front,however.

Conclusions / suggested guidelines
:mg: In the future, it would probably be best to consolidate 2 lists in a topic like Blue Templar's: A long list of all the forums where people could be potentially interested in hearing about the game, and a list of the forums which had a "spread the word" topic created in them. Everytime someone creates a topic in the main list, it goes to the 2nd one.
:mg: No forum is interested in spam or advertisement, obviously. But the majority of forums haven't been living in a box, and know what crowdsourcing is. And most are fine with CS projects being given coverage. If you intend on creating such a topic and are unsure, just skim over to the "publicity/advertisement" part of their user-agreement when you register. If there's nothing on the subject, simply put a small disclaimer at the top of your OP, and it should be fine.
:mg: Keep your OP to-the-point and simple. A short description of the game, 1 link to the crowsourced project's home page, a piece of art from the game, a funny or exciting game screenshot (example, sort-of: topic by Makail), then if you feel like it maybe a Q&A video or a small description of Kerberos with a personal touch.
:mg: When I say "keep the topics active", I don't refer to spam, so there's nothing to frown on. It's "constructive bumping" at worst, much like spreading the word about a crowdsourcer is not commercial advertisement. The part where everybody can help the most, and which requires the least effort, is simply discussing the game over there as you would here. If a user from another forum posts a reply, it looks a hell of a lot better if another guy from here comes in to reply to that post. Similarly, if the topic is going "silent" after a week or so, it also gives a better image if someone that is NOT the original topic creator goes in, and posts an update. It can be as simple as:

-"See this latest update?" or "I particularly liked X update/new piece of art"
-"I hear X gameplay feature is still on the table! / They've just announced how X feature will work!"
-"One of the stretch goals is a portable versions... keeping my fingers crossed!"
:mg: We can rise and shine sooner! As in, around the same time the crowdsourcer is launched or receives it's first major update.

In closing, I'd like to throw a reminder that every damn dollar helps, literally, because it helps KB set bigger and better goals for all aspects of their games. So pledging aside, we CAN make waves, and the more of us jump in the pool, the more likely... :huh: ... I forgot where I was going with that, but anyway you get the idea :thumbsup: Keep brawlin' and all that!

Edit: Also, a quick thanks for the unspoken efforts (or those I wasn't able to dig up) I'm sure many more have shown. Especially all the support on the Kickstarter's comment section!
:mg: In particular,Liana posted a very interesting equation a week ago showing how the project could be fully funded if all existing backers (about 350 at the time) added about 50$ to their current pledge.
:mg: Tobi also mentionned how funders who backed "Kronos" (is that another wargame?) might be strongly interested in this game. Let's see if we can find where they're hiding =)
:mg: Apparently Angry Joe is a fan of SotS, there might be some possibilities there
Last edited by Vanish on Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
"We have such sights to show you."
-Hellraiser

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Re: How we can help beyond pledging: Recap

Post by Erinys » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:57 am

Many thanks for the recap.

BORN TO BRAWL! :D

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

shadow wolf

Post by shadow wolf » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:13 pm

We must continue to spread the word. Right now.
Landmarks for your search:
1. Armageddon empire
2. Star Chamber: The Harbinger Saga
3. BattleTech
4. Warhammer 40,000
5. Squad Battles
6. Soldiers of Empires
7. Steel Panthers
8. Unity of Command
9. Battle Isle

On the forums with these games you can spread the word.
P.S. Then still have to think about where to look.

Vanish

Post by Vanish » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:31 am

shadow wolf wrote:We must continue to spread the word. Right now.
Landmarks for your search:

Thanks for the search keywords! Will be sure to use those when digging.

As for the enthusiasm, as much as I'd like to act now as well, I feel it would be jumping the gun a little. I would advocate waiting until KB has at least put up their campaign on indiegogo. The plan is to be there early this time, and hit hard, but until then, let's not forget we already have a multitude of topics on 20+ forums depicting a potentially different version of GP, which sends links to Kickstarter.

Of course, that's merely one way to go about it. As much as I'd like to prepare before consolidating our efforts and would rather preserve all the credibility we can get on foreign forums, I don't expect everyone to agree with this point of view or hold back. Regardless, expect a huge topic to be created the day the IGG funder goes up.

In the meantime, some tongue-in-cheek tease for Ms. Dembo and all the other hard-at-work folk at KB who brought us such a great Alpha demo and KS campaign =)

(all due props to original author)
Last edited by Vanish on Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We have such sights to show you."
-Hellraiser

marshb

Post by marshb » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:31 am

That is so cool! :thumbsup:
Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future.

Orison of Sonmi-451

shadow wolf

Post by shadow wolf » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:45 am

Vanish wrote:As for the enthusiasm, as much as I'd like to act now as well, I feel it would be jumping the gun a little. I would advocate waiting until KB has at least put up their campaign on indiegogo. The plan is to be there early this time, and hit hard, but until then, let's not forget we already have a multitude of topics on 20+ forums depicting a potentially different version of GP, which sends links to Kickstarter.

Ok.
P.S. While you can try to register at different useful forums.

Return to “GP General Discussion”