Exact effects of the terrain?

Thoughts on the Alpha demo? Let us know!
Sayeth

Exact effects of the terrain?

Post by Sayeth » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:54 am

I cant help but wonder, since there are so many types of terrain it would be also nice if there would be an in-game indicator on what bonuses/penalties it has on units occupying it. So far it only tells you that it is a nice and forested hill suitable for hiking :roll:
"Life doesn't exist anywhere but Earth?"
That's like taking a cup of ocean water and saying there aren't any whales in the ocean.

Xonosch

Re: Exact effects of the terrain?

Post by Xonosch » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:23 am

You can see the exact modifier in-game. Click on "Roll" in the battle preview/review screen to see them. For example river crossings give -1 and hills give also -1 (cumulative). "Odds" and "Odd Shift" can also be clicked to see their details.

Sayeth

Post by Sayeth » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:53 am

Xonosch wrote:You can see the exact modifier in-game. Click on "Roll" in the battle preview/review screen to see them. For example river crossings give -1 and hills give also -1 (cumulative). "Odds" and "Odd Shift" can also be clicked to see their details.

Well, "in battle" is a little too late. When I want to decide where to send my units I want to know what place is best for them to attack/defend from...
That's like taking a cup of ocean water and saying there aren't any whales in the ocean.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:50 pm

the sotsdex will have all terrain details

DirectorNeumann

Post by DirectorNeumann » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:57 am

Sayeth wrote:I cant help but wonder, since there are so many types of terrain it would be also nice if there would be an in-game indicator on what bonuses/penalties it has on units occupying it. So far it only tells you that it is a nice and forested hill suitable for hiking :roll:

Ah, someone who has played Advanced Wars for too long. Well you got to remember that this game is based on the Panzer Generals series which is essentially 'tabletop hex games MADE ELECTRONIC'. Although I can understand your confusion.

Sayeth

Post by Sayeth » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:14 am

DirectorNeumann wrote:
Sayeth wrote:I cant help but wonder, since there are so many types of terrain it would be also nice if there would be an in-game indicator on what bonuses/penalties it has on units occupying it. So far it only tells you that it is a nice and forested hill suitable for hiking :roll:

Ah, someone who has played Advanced Wars for too long. Well you got to remember that this game is based on the Panzer Generals series which is essentially 'tabletop hex games MADE ELECTRONIC'. Although I can understand your confusion.

Well, switch Advanced Wars for "Battle for Wesnoth" and you got it right :roll: You can basically hover your cursor over a terrain hex with a unit selected and see exactly the movement cost to get there and the defensive value for being there before you make your decision ;)

DirectorNeumann

Post by DirectorNeumann » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:21 pm

Sayeth wrote:
Well, switch Advanced Wars for "Battle for Wesnoth" and you got it right :roll: You can basically hover your cursor over a terrain hex with a unit selected and see exactly the movement cost to get there and the defensive value for being there before you make your decision ;)

Well, no one can be right all the time. Advanced Wars is all what I have here right now. Haven't played Panzer Generals in a LONG time.

Anyway, maybe as a card or something to give simple stats like defensive values and what forms of movement have more than 1 MP expenditure might work.

Return to “Suggestions”