Tutorial Confusion

Thoughts on the Alpha demo? Let us know!
Scooby

Tutorial Confusion

Post by Scooby » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:24 am

"First Rule: Tell everyone about Ground Pounders" !lol

I just started checking out the demo, but I'm having a difficult time to follow the tutorial. The overall game mechanics seem fairly simple but still I'm confused.

I think the information given in the tutorial is sufficient but a few small improvements would probably help quite a lot to break the entry-barrier to the game. The modeless dialog is in the way. It is hard to understand what the text is describing when I can't see the play field. I also didn't find a way to recall the tutorial text which after a couples slides, I was already completely lost because I could not relate the tutorial to the play field.

I essentially gave up on the tutorial and reverted to good ol' exploration. Not to complain, just sayin'; I'm not a novice gamer by any stretch and I found it difficult...
How to manage your Hacker
How to hack your Manager

BlueTemplar

Re: Tutorial Confusion

Post by BlueTemplar » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:50 am

Same here, had to run the tutorial, play a mission, then run the tutorial again to understand all the logistic mechanics. Actually, they're explained clearly in the tutorial, but not being able to experiment is probably preventing understanding and assimilation?

Vanish

Post by Vanish » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:53 pm

I've thought along the same lines but, I felt reserving technical suggestions for when the beta forums open was probably the best way to go :P Besides I couldn't quite put the finger on what to suggest.

I've heard word from some long-time users that SotS1/2 were a bit difficult to get into as well, but after that stuff "clicks" into place quickly. Personally I find that philosophy refreshing, intentional or not.
"We have such sights to show you."
-Hellraiser

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:58 pm

Actually this very wordy tutorial is us trying to respond to people's problems with more sparse explanations ;)

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:59 am

@Mecron, I wouldn't say that the tutorial is very wordy. You guys are doing a fine job. The information is quite succinct and covers pretty much everything. I just have a hard time to follow it when I can't switch between the tutorial dialog and the game screen to make comparisons and I can't recall the dialogs that I have already passed without restarting the tutorial.
How to manage your Hacker
How to hack your Manager

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:06 am

yeah that troubles me as well...words vs screen real estate is tricky with this one.

Return to “Suggestions”