HIver DE point defence ships

Discuss ships, sections, and designs.
ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Re: HIver DE point defence ships

Post by ZedF » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:00 pm

I know they used to fire properly. They might have developed a bug. I'll try them out in my current Hiver game when the opportunity presents itself.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Vaughn

Post by Vaughn » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:15 pm

For fun and profit, I replaced the hiver PD section and hammerhead section with the Liir's.

The game developed a few glitches, but.. the liir sections worked beautifully, shooting down missiles left and right. So it's not purely a hiver thing - I can only think the rotation is messing it up somehow.

How would I turn that off?

Darloth

Post by Darloth » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:37 am

I think it's in the section file, just disassociate the animation.

However, I did just test hiver sections, and they work fine for me.

Here's a saved game, play as yellow hiver, there should be a battle with a DE point defense ship, a CR point defense ship, and some morrigi drones which the PD all fires at pretty effectively.

(PS: Save is someone else's, it was posted in reference to some other tech support - I didn't think you'd mind since it was already up here. Sorry, I didn't have any advanced hivers. If you don't want it here just say and I'll delete it again.)

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:29 pm

internal testing shows NO problems with hiver PD section accuracy

Baralgin

Post by Baralgin » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:33 pm

Are you sure you have checked out the RED button? If you are not officially at war with this species, your ships start fight with blocked weapons.

:idea:

Overdose

Post by Overdose » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:28 am

Baralgin wrote:Are you sure you have checked out the RED button? If you are not officially at war with this species, your ships start fight with blocked weapons.

:idea:

PD fires without needing to arm them, it's a defensive tool, even if your turned off, it fires, unless your Morrigi *maybe*, since they have to pop their guns out to target first.

I've had plenty of situations where a missile barrage gets shot down as i tell my fleet to hold fire till they are all in optimal range.....

of course in the version i'm running (1.6.3) PD doesn't seem to target asteroids, so i sometimes ram the smaller ones when telling a fleet to move.

Chernobog

Post by Chernobog » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:41 am

Yeah, PD stopped targeting asteroids in late BoB. One patch after the asteroids got a huge toughness boost, IIRC.

Baralgin

Post by Baralgin » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:17 am

The only other reason I can think of is that ships need to change the angle in order to face the enemy with their weapons, which have blind spots. You need to click on one of those icons, the one next to "pursue", I think it's called "close in" or something. Then ships will try to get in position to aim and fire their weapons. Ships will try to always maintain this position and not just stand there as missiles approach them.

Mesaia

Post by Mesaia » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:23 am

Or.. you can manually position your ships?

I only use the stance buttons when I'm lazy and I've 5 CRs chasing a tanker DE.

I really prefered the SoTS orientation where your ships don't point their noses at a target unless that have nose mounted direct fire weapons.

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:44 am

My 1.6.3 Hiver Gauss PD PD Cruisers seemed to not fire really often when faced with a Swarm - less than the gauss maelstrom I supposed it should have been. Could it be due to the lower range of the gauss pd, or to the hard tracking involved when a rolling ship with an already rotating section has to target a fast-moving swarmer?

Sometimes I find point defense ships a bit underwhelming, especially since placing a few pd turrets on well chosen spots on each ships seems to work as well if not better...

Taerkar

Post by Taerkar » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:07 am

I've had a related problem where after a few minutes the PD guns simply stop firing. This is rather annoying when I'm fighting a swarm encounter with a AP Mass-driver armed ship that carries PD Lasers. I've only really noticed it with Hivers, but I play them more than anything else.

Haven't really seen it since I installed AMoC, but the swarm doesn't seem to last as long anymore, maybe once or twice, but the beamers tend to cover if it does.
First rule of fire support: You never have enough.

Aspen28570

Post by Aspen28570 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:46 pm

Maybe it's a bug (like it has neen said before) did you try to uninstall and reinstall the game and do you have the recent patches?

Kimori

Post by Kimori » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:13 pm

If there was a bug it would've been fixed long ago. This is a 20-month-old necropost or something.

Return to “The Ships”