Hunters *spoilers*

Discuss ships, sections, and designs.
SpardaSon21

Re: Hunters *spoilers*

Post by SpardaSon21 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:02 am

Did the planet spin backwards from all those pulsed gravvy beams?

GammaPaladin
Cassandra

Post by GammaPaladin » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:43 am

Nope, just slowed a bit.

I've seen planets stopped dead, completely still. But that was the work of Morri BB/War DNs, which have an obscene number of large turrets and can pretty much fire ALL of them on any target in the front arc.

patton1942

Post by patton1942 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:28 am

Connll wrote:I don´t know if this is a working strategy.

I load my carriers with missiles, and the AM- hunter has 2 large mounts that have very narrow firing arcs, pointed backwards. So I put nanite or KK missiles into those mounts.

My hunter Fleets have plenty of long-range firepower.

those ideas were more about denying the enemy the ability to withdraw its DNs and deploy more hunters. getting 30 DNs to warp in and withdraw takes time, so if you get close enough, quickly enough they can't withdraw to bring in more hunter carriers.

EMP weapons would work, not to mention corrosive / nanites. just spam the area the enemy is warping into and the hunters will start combat damaged and at a disadvantage.

None of these ideas are perfect and none of them may even work but until somebody tests them out in game, this is all just brain storming really.
Mecron on Rebellions: "hell no, we won't go!" becomes "Holy crap! We don't wanna glow!"
Here be pirates

Thermal Biotron

Post by Thermal Biotron » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:25 pm

patton1942 wrote:
Connll wrote:I don´t know if this is a working strategy.

I load my carriers with missiles, and the AM- hunter has 2 large mounts that have very narrow firing arcs, pointed backwards. So I put nanite or KK missiles into those mounts.

My hunter Fleets have plenty of long-range firepower.

those ideas were more about denying the enemy the ability to withdraw its DNs and deploy more hunters. getting 30 DNs to warp in and withdraw takes time, so if you get close enough, quickly enough they can't withdraw to bring in more hunter carriers.

Well the original comment was talking about getting 30 Hunters not DNs into a battle.

Still, if this was actually a problem I would think there would be a lot more yammering about them.
Used to...play...a detective. Mind can't help...but make...deductions.

patton1942

Post by patton1942 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:20 pm

exactly. you can't get that many in combat at once without either;

a.) outnumbering enough to field 15 DNs at once. at which point the whole thing is rather moot and not worth talking about. you've already won.

b) bringing long enough DNs to withdraw after releasing the hunters and bring in another set of DNs to release another set of hunters. Assuming this is the case, and assuming you've got at least a handful of DNs of your own to fight them with you now have something to discuss. My strategic brainstorming for keeping the enemy from withdrawing to bring in more DNs and their hunters is based on the second set of circumstances.

k?
Mecron on Rebellions: "hell no, we won't go!" becomes "Holy crap! We don't wanna glow!"
Here be pirates

Connll

Post by Connll » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:00 pm

Well, I do retreat the carriers in rder to get as many hunters fighting as possible.

Once I Cannot retreat the carriers anymore (or I have unoaded all the hunters), I leave the last one there, to fight as missile platforms.

usualy, the enemy has no choice but to close up and fight the hunters un melee range, otherwise, the flee wil cursh his planet unopposed.
Not to mention that there wil be a LOT of missiles flying his way...
Strength and Honor.

mreeves

Post by mreeves » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:58 pm

The Hunter-A's two rear large mounts seem to be meant as strafe mounts but are facing the wrong way. If you look at where they are placed they could fire forward through that large gap in the armor.

Reiver

Post by Reiver » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:06 pm

...You know, I'd almost be willing to believe that.

There's a few bugs with some of the ANY designs that Tarkas got as it is - for one, their Impactor section is all kinds of messed up in the weapon selection panel, and it seems possible the firing arcs were done wrong too (It's not often you see every small mount on a ship holding exactly a 180 degree weapons arc, either perfectly forward or to the side... and shooting through chunks of the ship in the process! :? )

So, y'know, it's actually fairly possible you could be onto somethin' there. *will have to have another look some time*

It also bothers me a little that it gets vastly fewer small gun mounts. What's wrong with having PDS on an advanced warship? :P

motorbit

Post by motorbit » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:02 pm

huntermounts look good for me.

most turret errors ive seen where on sections form the vanilla sots.
i did not see any wrong turretarcs in any, and i think there where none in amoc.

ignus

Post by ignus » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:56 pm

There have been incorrect turret mounts in sections from all expansions. AMoC had quite a few IIRC. Imo that was the least polished buy-able version of the game but that's not so strange since Kerberos packed so much new stuff into it. :thumbsup:

Imrix

Post by Imrix » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:13 pm

It's not just Tarka either. The Liir's dreadnought bio war mission section's medium mounts are all kinds of messed up.

Magnum

Post by Magnum » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:30 pm

Imrix wrote:It's not just Tarka either. The Liir's dreadnought bio war mission section's medium mounts are all kinds of messed up.

I rather like that they appear to shoot green biowar missiles out their bottoms...

Coyote27

Post by Coyote27 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:02 pm

At least weapon arcs are relatively easy to fix, you just have to spend a little time in Notepad. If the devs don't have time to fix these we could always make a placeholder mod or something.
"In the absence of any orders, go find something and kill it." -Erwin Rommel

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:13 am

or you could just be brave and realize that if there is a bad arc on a section that is 3 years old, it probably has had very little affect on gameplay :P

Imrix

Post by Imrix » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:57 am

Or, it could be the opposite and we're all so used to bugs like this cropping up because the devs can't be bothered that we just don't make a fuss about it anymore. That's the problem with making good quality stuff. You show people what "better" really looks like.

Return to “The Ships”