Crew sizes

Discuss ships, sections, and designs.
Bropira

Crew sizes

Post by Bropira » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:24 am

As I watch my beautiful and perfect formations of ships face off against enemy empires I could not help but wonder how many brave crew died when that CnC ship got blown up for lagging behind the main fleet.

How many crew do Destroyers, Cruisers and Dreadnoughts carry with them?

Does it vary between the races?

How about the special ships like tankers, CnC, PD, Boreships and ER's?

Sure we can replace any losses with a simple click of a button but think of the lives that were lost!

fiendishrabbit

Re: Crew sizes

Post by fiendishrabbit » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:29 am

From the wonderful Sword of the Stars wiki:

Crew complements vary from race to race due to psychology and physiology. Human Destroyers have a crew complement of 15 – 20 while Hivers have a crew complement of 30 – 40. Tarka Destroyer crews number about 10 – 15 and Liir Destroyer crews run from 3 – 8 members, depending on the design of the ship.

Crew complements vary from race to race due to psychology and physiology. Human Cruisers have a crew complement of about 150 while Hivers have a crew complement of about 300. Tarka Cruiser crews number about 110 – 150 and Liir Cruiser crews run from 20 – 30 members depending on the design of the ship.

Crew complements vary from race to race due to psychology and physiology. Human Dreadnoughts have a crew complement of 800 – 1000 while Hivers have a crew complement of 1600 – 2000. Tarka Dreadnought crews number about 600 – 800 and Liir Dreadnought crews run to around 200 members, depending on the design of the ship.

I'm not sure if the numbers are actually correct as it doesn't post a source for the claims (naughty Silvaril =P).
You can't trust the Liir. Never trust someone that smiles all the time.

fiendishrabbit

Post by fiendishrabbit » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:30 am

On the discussion page Nspace notes that:

A Hammerhead/Armor/Fission CR has the following in game crew: Hiver = 130, Human = 61, Liir = 34, Tarka = 70 and Zuul = 84

Bropira

Post by Bropira » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:32 am

Doh! completely forggott about the wikki, thx.

silvaril
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Wiki thang.... ;p

Post by silvaril » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:37 am

Heya

Each Ship Section page on the Wiki also attempts to list the Crew numbers for those sections for each species.

If you find the data missing, please fill it in from the ship section files in your sots.gob file... ;p
silvaril wrote:Love is Love, God is God and I am still Living a Lifetime

Disclaimer:
The views of any individual may not necessarily represent those of "God"(tm)

fiendishrabbit

Re: Wiki thang.... ;p

Post by fiendishrabbit » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:46 am

silvaril wrote:Heya

Each Ship Section page on the Wiki also attempts to list the Crew numbers for those sections for each species.

If you find the data missing, please fill it in from the ship section files in your sots.gob file... ;p

What I'm wondering is if the Crew stat noted in each section is just combat crew (since it seems like it's meant to counter boarding pods) or the total crew?

whatamidoinghere

Post by whatamidoinghere » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:09 am

How do you stuff 300 hivers, environmental plants, weapons systems, comm equipment, and drives into a tin can 90m long?
Wonderful, wonderful cookies!

ANY 1.7.1 Firestorm Mod

silvaril
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

;p

Post by silvaril » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:57 am

Heya

Eggs...
silvaril wrote:Love is Love, God is God and I am still Living a Lifetime

Disclaimer:
The views of any individual may not necessarily represent those of "God"(tm)

Bhordin

Post by Bhordin » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:50 am

whatamidoinghere wrote:How do you stuff 300 hivers, environmental plants, weapons systems, comm equipment, and drives into a tin can 90m long?

Imagine the biome colonizers with thousands.

silvaril wrote:Eggs...

Easy for the Hivers, but what about the other races? That must be one huge suspended animation chamber on the luggage rack strapped to the top of the ship. Perhaps the colonists were miniaturized into Lilliputians? :lol:

Bropira

Post by Bropira » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:26 am

Wonder why the Liir field such small crew sizes for their ships?
Is it because they are less aggresive and innexperienced in war or is it that it takes less Liir because of their telekenesis/telepathy?

Either way I feel better knowing that few Liir died because of my mediocre command.

usermist2

Post by usermist2 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:55 am

It's because Liir are physically larger. Less Liir in a ship means less minds to connect to = greater chance of them going space-crazy.

Things Go Better With C2H5OH.

fiendishrabbit

Post by fiendishrabbit » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:05 pm

usermist2 wrote:It's because Liir are physically larger. Less Liir in a ship means less minds to connect to = greater chance of them going space-crazy.

They're not that much larger. I mean, given the way Liir look at these things they definitely won't be any Elders out there.

I think it has more to do with Liir sentiments. War is an abomination and being a Black Swimmer is being dead. Reducing the number of Liirs involved is probably a prime consideration.
In addition, the liirs abilities (telekineticly manipulate a dozen tools at once and having a crew that's quite aware of what everyone else is doing) I imagine really cuts down on the number of crew necessary to preform maintenance, engineering duties and damage control.

The Magus
Doomsayer

Post by The Magus » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:36 pm

fiendishrabbit wrote:In addition, the liirs abilities (telekineticly manipulate a dozen tools at once and having a crew that's quite aware of what everyone else is doing) I imagine really cuts down on the number of crew necessary to preform maintenance, engineering duties and damage control.

This. The Liir probably just need less people to man(dolphin?) as many tasks.

As far as 300 people on the colonizers go, part of what colonizers do has been said to be abstracted before. I imagine they're still insanely cramped, especially with SA when you can probably pack them in like sardines a little more literally, but the idea is that the pop, terraforming, and infra you see on the planet after they land is representative of roughly a year's worth of growth, development, and continued migration to the world.
The teacher cut in smoothly, "Yes, of course. SolForce never fails to remind us how necessary they are to our...'survival'. ... It amazes me that the human race ever managed to exist, before you lot came along."

Cai Rui smiled thinly. "What amazes me is how quickly the human race could cease to exist, if we were gone."

--The Deacon's Tale

patton1942

Post by patton1942 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:35 pm

Ever seen Das Boot? Thats what shipboard conditions are like, cramped to the point of being almost claustrophobic.
Mecron on Rebellions: "hell no, we won't go!" becomes "Holy crap! We don't wanna glow!"
Here be pirates

Kiith-sa

Post by Kiith-sa » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:34 am

Hey everyone! we'r presenting to yo the newest space snack! "Fried Bugs". The tastiest and biggest snack you'll ever find in the Middle of Nowhere(Tm) in deep space!

But wait there's more!: try the New Cr Jumbo Size !

But Wait there's more! : now with Deep freeze technology we bring yo 40% more crunchy! YUM!

:bangdesk: :bangdesk: :bangdesk: :bangdesk: :bangdesk: :bangdesk:

BTW what about Morrigi crews? I'd guess they are along Tarka Numbers
Im the Nomad of the Void...I come and go but never stay

Return to “The Ships”