Colony Traps!

Discuss ships, sections, and designs.
MS_Cowboy

Colony Traps!

Post by MS_Cowboy » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:32 am

Are there any Morrigi players out there who make good use of colony traps? I generally consider it a waste of time and resources that could be spent attacking enemy colonies and otherwise advancing my early game war machine. Any thoughts on these?
Blinded by X-ray Lasers

Space Voyager

Re: Colony Traps!

Post by Space Voyager » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:25 am

Same here... I'd rather mine the planets than set traps. Faster to get the tech, cheaper to research and VERY efficient.
ErinysSolForce Intelligence has great difficulty penetrating Liir society to that depth, for obvious reasons. fibioLack of scuba gear?

erdrik

Post by erdrik » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:20 pm

Ive used them.
The only indication you get of them being triggered is a news ticker event, and the icon disappearing.
Someone paying attention would see it, but if your swamped with other problems/ don't use the news ticker event popups then you'll miss it.

Can't remember the research cost, but the ships themselves are pretty cheap.
Add you really can't beat the destructive power of a mining trap for that low cost...

As for mining, I got both mining and the traps.
I mined the system dry and put a colony trap there.
If you setup a few "latch fleets" for them it is pretty simple to spam your immidiate borders/dustballs with colony/mining traps.

("latch fleet" is what I call 4 tankers and a Gravboat, to help with flock speeds)

Space Voyager

Post by Space Voyager » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:15 am

erdrik wrote:Add you really can't beat the destructive power of a mining trap for that low cost...

That might be true, but by the time you get them and put them in place you could be using those extra resources for a loooong time.

Considering that fleets can refine at 0 resource planets as well, you could always mine them and lay mining traps later anyway. I wouldn't place them just to get a stinking (although expensive) mining ship, I want the whole battle fleet.
ErinysSolForce Intelligence has great difficulty penetrating Liir society to that depth, for obvious reasons. fibioLack of scuba gear?

ignus

Post by ignus » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:51 am

Autonomous Drones cost 22000 rp to research for Morrigi while it takes 73000 rp to research mining :wink:

You can deploy colony traps long before you ever was gonna be able to mine, if you wish to do so.

Space Voyager

Post by Space Voyager » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:45 am

I'd say mining costs 30.000 considering you WILL research up to salvage.

What techs do Morrigi start with? Because others will spend a lot more into the drone tree, but they don't have access to autonomous drones.

ignus

Post by ignus » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:59 am

Morrigi start with enough Drone technology that they can start researching Autonomous Drones on turn 1. Doing so will cost 22000 rp. If they instead immediately go for Mining at turn 1, it will cost 73000 rp.
They can theoretically produce mining traps alot earlier then they can produce mining ships, which was my point. That said, Salvage is obviously a mandatory tech while AD is not. But imo it's lots of fun :thumbsup:

Space Voyager

Post by Space Voyager » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:01 pm

ignus wrote:Morrigi start with enough Drone technology that they can start researching Autonomous Drones on turn 1. Doing so will cost 22000 rp. If they instead immediately go for Mining at turn 1, it will cost 73000 rp.
They can theoretically produce mining traps alot earlier then they can produce mining ships, which was my point. That said, Salvage is obviously a mandatory tech while AD is not. But imo it's lots of fun :thumbsup:

I almost reported your post. Missed "quote"... :D

Yes, I agree. And mining trap could be awesome when placed right. May try in the future.

fibio

Post by fibio » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:42 pm

I find the colony trap to be very useful when you don't have the military muscle to take and hold colonies, but can take territory. It allows you to take your eye off the ball so to speak and use your fleets to guard something other than your future holdings.
Buy my book - Six Seconds of Moonlight on the kindle store.

Anyone can be a god beneath the moonlight, but who can be a hero?

TriniWarlord

Post by TriniWarlord » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:26 pm

So if u colony trap a world an try 2 colonize it later u jus simply disable the trap? Its a "Duh" ques but still
Assumptions and interpretations are the lens through which we view the world, sometimes deluding ourselves that what we see is the truth.

the_ubernoob
Zuul Survivor
Zuul Survivor

Post by the_ubernoob » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:24 am

Well since the morrigi seem to be immune to the colony traps their ancestors planted years before hand, I imagine they would be immune to the ones they planted just a few years ago.

Don't know for fact, I never play as the morrigi, but that's just my assumption.
"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout."
-parody of the litany of command

ignus

Post by ignus » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:16 am

Yes, Morrigi disable their own traps. I don't know if Morrigi A can disable a trap laid by Morrigi B though.

Space Voyager

Post by Space Voyager » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:26 am

PD will make CT useless and a waste of time.

ignus

Post by ignus » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:40 am

It is only a waste of a time if you get no use out of it. Which means that if you are gonna research it, you might just as well do it early.

Space Voyager

Post by Space Voyager » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:56 am

ignus wrote:It is only a waste of a time if you get no use out of it. Which means that if you are gonna research it, you might just as well do it early.

TRUE. Also because this is the time when you can prevent those with wider CH ranges to populate all they see.

May as well try it someday... There are so many things to try in SotS...

Return to “The Ships”