He's coming right at us!

Discuss ships, sections, and designs.
Dr. Weird

He's coming right at us!

Post by Dr. Weird » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:44 pm

Outside of this thread http://www.kerberos-productions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13256&p=227195&hilit=strafe#p227195 I havent seen any talk about strafe sections. Based on that they seem kind of weak. My own experience has been that to get any effectiveness out of strafe sections you need to set the ship on "pursuit" setting and be faster than the target. Ironically the jousting nature of DEs & CRs when facing a same sized ship means that standard or close to attack settings dont give the ship much time to target & fire so not alot of strafing goes on...

Has anyone had good success with strafe sections?
Scrodinger may or may not have been here...

The_Pastmaster

Re: He's coming right at us!

Post by The_Pastmaster » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:19 pm

You missed this one.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=13969
I realize that pulsars are not part of the Canadian military arsenal, but I find that if you shampoo an angry beaver aggressively with "oily hair" shampoo to dry out it's fur and rub it vigorously against a balloon before flinging it at the enemy with a trebuchet, you get a similar effect.

Eleahen wrote:You are a genius!

Someone said it :twisted:

Dr. Weird

Post by Dr. Weird » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:23 pm

Thanks Past, odd that the search function didnt call that one up...

In taking a look at it there's two guys saying Strafe is great for DEs and "meh" for CRs and then one guy saying he cant get any joy out of strafe DEs but loves his strafe CRs...

Based on the situations they describe I guess I'm inclined to think theyre more useful as a DE section (with the sniper cannons as described) although putting DF racks on a cruiser section does seem amusing in a destructive kind of way.
Scrodinger may or may not have been here...

Grizzam

Post by Grizzam » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:33 pm

yessir

I think its also a bit relative... some races just seem to get mediocre turret counts on their strafe sections (humans come to mind I believe). Tarka however carry quite a few (serious ouchies type of quite a few).

As with many things, you can get some great milage if you can micro manage to a degree, and I think that is key for most strafe sections. Granted I don't micro manage my early game strafe/armor DE's loaded up with UV lasers (beyond focus fire of course) until reflective armor starts to show... order-pursuit + the range of UV's does a fine job in itself, and few things are as rewarding as watching your fleet of 10 armor DE's chew cruisers up while avoiding most of their fire.

On the other hand, sniper cannon/missile fleets DO require a bit of micro management, regardless if you use strafe or not. You want to focus as much sniper cannon fire as you can on one target, and keep your missiles doing as much damage as possible and not firing at 'dead' targets.

Something worth mentioning with the Cruiser strafe + DF racks setup, is that you really need to line up shots as best you can and try to make them fairly accurate. It is entirely possible to have a few of your turrets in the strafe section fire while the rest have nothing to fire at, so don't get dismayed if you see a fairly light stream of DF fire a bit prematurely before you get to issue a stop>attack target command.

DervMan

Post by DervMan » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:02 am

I've also been horribly chewed up by Ultraviolet Laser armed Liir Destroyers, despite having a minor technological advantage.

I've found the Liir's drive system works really well with this section.

Space Voyager

Post by Space Voyager » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:46 am

DervMan wrote:I've found the Liir's drive system works really well with this section.

Definitely. Their drive system enables them huge turn rates, so they can bring that strafe sections to bear in no time.
ErinysSolForce Intelligence has great difficulty penetrating Liir society to that depth, for obvious reasons. fibioLack of scuba gear?

fiendishrabbit

Post by fiendishrabbit » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:41 am

Unfortunately Liir strafe sections aren't all that. Especially when compared against Liir battlebridge (which features twice the hitpoints, and 3 heavy laser hardpoints in exchange for 2 medium mounts and 5 points of turnspeed)?
If it wasn't for the increased cost and technology requirements there would be no reason for a Liir to put a Strafe section on a cruiser.

Now for CRs the Tarka, Morrigi or Zuul strafe sections are a different matter.
Plenty of medium mounts (8 medium+3 lights, 8+2 and 12 respectively).
If you're going Zuul you better put something with a hitpoint bonus or they'll instapop (AP massdrivers go, giving the command section 2.5 times the hitpoints of a DF rack equipped version)
For Morrigi HP it's not quite as much of a problem as their Commandsection is fairly well protected, although putting something like Phasers or Chakkars in there is still recommended.
Tarkas on the other hand do quite well with DF racks as their command section is pretty well armored anyway and the Alphastrike of DF racks really helps the Tarkas (as it gives you a good chance of popping 1-3 enemy cruisers on the first pass, which means less exposure for your vulnerable engine&mission sections).
You can't trust the Liir. Never trust someone that smiles all the time.

Profound_Darkness

Post by Profound_Darkness » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:21 pm

I still find one of my favorites for large chunks of the game to be Hiver Strafe/Barrage. The optimal I have found (works well against medium armor) is DF Racks (Antimatter missile tech) on the front with Missiles in other medium mounts (they don't face forward). The torp mount carries Kelvanic torps (or most any other torp will do). The heavies (antimatter section, rear facing) has MIRV missiles for PD saturation :). Works well with a EWAR Command dreadnought set to broadside and armed with DF Racks/PD/MIRV (or some other heavy hitter).
Mecron wrote:... "Hey aliens!! Candygram from the planet of crazy talking monkeys!!" ...

my fav tactical w/fav races :)

Return to “The Ships”