In general how man Impactor hits can a DN (Tarken) take

Discuss ships, sections, and designs.
spaced_monkey

In general how man Impactor hits can a DN (Tarken) take

Post by spaced_monkey » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:43 pm

just wondering i counted 11 or 12 before the battle took my attention away from that ship and it was still in one piece when i looked back at it. i thought that Impactors were good, should have stayed with the AM CR design :x

Ripost

Re: In general how man Impactor hits can a DN (Tarkan) take

Post by Ripost » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:39 am

Haven't fought a Tarka DN with impactors, but last time I was Tarka, I killed at lest 100 human DNs with the things. A set of 6 CRs, pounding away for a while, would take at least 3 salvos to kill the things. Assuming a few missed, that would be somewhere around 30 hits with neutronium Impactors (6 impactor CRs, 2 impactors/CR, 12 impactors/salvo)!

OK, did the math, and I come up with about those #s. A Human Adamantite DN (BB, Barrage, AM) comes up as 68000 HP (before weapon HP). An impactor is 1500, neutronium makes it 2250. This means 31 hits to kill the thing. Tarka DNs can come up even higher (Assault, Armor, AM, Adamantite at 77000 HP, but I think that's their max). And none of this counts the HP from their weapons, or the chance that one (or more) of the impactor rounds will hit a turret instead.

Bottom line, when you are hitting it with that many impactors, you are more likely to knock them back a way and wait for their return, and losing count. Also, realize that it really matters how much armor and which sections they have. I remember knocking a fair number of defending DNs into their own planets in these fights (gives a nice resource bonus, as well as lettting you kill them faster).

YMMV
-Ripost, incurable Newbie (and contagious, so keep away!)

spaced_monkey

Re: In general how man Impactor hits can a DN (Tarkan) take

Post by spaced_monkey » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:55 pm

Ripost wrote:Haven't fought a Tarka DN with impactors, but last time I was Tarka, I killed at lest 100 human DNs with the things. A set of 6 CRs, pounding away for a while, would take at least 3 salvos to kill the things. Assuming a few missed, that would be somewhere around 30 hits with neutronium Impactors (6 impactor CRs, 2 impactors/CR, 12 impactors/salvo)!

OK, did the math, and I come up with about those #s. A Human Adamantite DN (BB, Barrage, AM) comes up as 68000 HP (before weapon HP). An impactor is 1500, neutronium makes it 2250. This means 31 hits to kill the thing. Tarka DNs can come up even higher (Assault, Armor, AM, Adamantite at 77000 HP, but I think that's their max). And none of this counts the HP from their weapons, or the chance that one (or more) of the impactor rounds will hit a turret instead.

Bottom line, when you are hitting it with that many impactors, you are more likely to knock them back a way and wait for their return, and losing count. Also, realize that it really matters how much armor and which sections they have. I remember knocking a fair number of defending DNs into their own planets in these fights (gives a nice resource bonus, as well as lettting you kill them faster).

YMMV

ok its just that on the forum they talk about impactors as if there the second coming, they just didn't live up to there obvious hype ty :D

ps there ship was a barrage with what look like the guided weapons deflector dose that change the numbers much

Kimori

Re: In general how man Impactor hits can a DN (Tarken) take

Post by Kimori » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:02 pm

You're silly. Impactors are still godly. :P

Don't underestimate the ability to knock a whole dreadnought silly, keeping it out of the fight. Plus it's damn funny to watch one corkscrewing through space, desperately trying to regain enough control to actually shoot at anything.

Even if you don't kill it, it'll take forever to get it back into the fight.

ps there ship was a barrage with what look like the guided weapons deflector dose that change the numbers much

Unlucky you. THAT's why the impactor didn't seem to be performing so well. Deflectors (half-shield, blue-green colour) stop ALL physical projectiles, including Impactors. The dreadnought won't take any damage at all if you hit its deflector.

whatamidoinghere

Post by whatamidoinghere » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:47 am

Have you seen how many AM cannon rounds it takes to bring down a dread? Those things aren't called dreadnoughts for nothing.
Wonderful, wonderful cookies!

ANY 1.7.1 Firestorm Mod

fiendishrabbit

Post by fiendishrabbit » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:15 am

whatamidoinghere wrote:Have you seen how many AM cannon rounds it takes to bring down a dread? Those things aren't called dreadnoughts for nothing.

Lots. And if it has an absorption command section, that's almost 4 times as many (all while it's pouring back even more energy)
You can't trust the Liir. Never trust someone that smiles all the time.

spaced_monkey

Post by spaced_monkey » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:33 am

whatamidoinghere wrote:Have you seen how many AM cannon rounds it takes to bring down a dread? Those things aren't called dreadnoughts for nothing.

all I'm saying is when i used AM CR i lost less ships when i used impactors i was rebuilding my fleets after every battle when i was using AM it was every 5 -10 battles.

whatamidoinghere

Post by whatamidoinghere » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:02 pm

Huh. 'Cause I can farcast cruiser hiver impactor fleets to enemy worlds and have them reasonable hold their own.
Wonderful, wonderful cookies!

ANY 1.7.1 Firestorm Mod

fiendishrabbit

Post by fiendishrabbit » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:11 pm

Maybe he's using impactors without firecontrol and without deep scan support and Advanced CnC?

spaced_monkey

Post by spaced_monkey » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:31 pm

fiendishrabbit wrote:Maybe he's using impactors without firecontrol and without deep scan support and Advanced CnC?

my fleet consited of a DN CnC, 6 Impactor CRs, 4 deep scan drone DDs
2 R and R ships, 4 tankers for the extra range. I pefer the ai command section for ships.

fiendishrabbit

Post by fiendishrabbit » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:45 am

spaced_monkey wrote:
fiendishrabbit wrote:Maybe he's using impactors without firecontrol and without deep scan support and Advanced CnC?

2 R and R ships, 4 tankers for the extra range. I pefer the ai command section for ships.

Switch out (or add) 2-3 cruisers with strong armor or shields and close range weaponry.
Impactors work best if the enemy doesn't get too close. Have the short ranged cruisers (and maybe the DN CnC as well) as a flanking force and then engage while leaving the impactors with an open field of fire.
This is of course, once you think the enemy will be able to engage your forces at all.
It has several advantages. It will aim any deflector shields in a different direction (opening up for Impactor fire) and they'll either eat Impactors or they won't be able to effectively engage your short range cruisers.

And yes. AI command section is good if you have it.

spaced_monkey

Post by spaced_monkey » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:20 pm

fiendishrabbit wrote:
spaced_monkey wrote:

Switch out (or add) 2-3 cruisers with strong armor or shields and close range weaponry.
Impactors work best if the enemy doesn't get too close. Have the short ranged cruisers (and maybe the DN CnC as well) as a flanking force and then engage while leaving the impactors with an open field of fire.
This is of course, once you think the enemy will be able to engage your forces at all.
It has several advantages. It will aim any deflector shields in a different direction (opening up for Impactor fire) and they'll either eat Impactors or they won't be able to effectively engage your short range cruisers.

And yes. AI command section is good if you have it.

I'll have to look into it, ty for input fiendishrabbit :D

Return to “The Ships”