Race with the best concentration of fire overall?

Discuss ships, sections, and designs.

Which race do you feel has the best ability to bring firepower to a target overall?:

Hiver
23%
Humans
6%
Liir
2%
Morrigi
45%
Tarkas
6%
Zuul
17%

Total votes: 47

fibio

Re: Race with the best concentration of fire overall?

Post by fibio » Tue May 18, 2010 10:51 pm

For us brawlers then the Humans are best at broadsiding, Hivers have the worst concentration but make the best imovable objects, Tarkas are great as long as you keep the enermy in front of you and Zuul just have an insane number of guns which ever way you look at them.
Buy my book - Six Seconds of Moonlight on the kindle store.

Anyone can be a god beneath the moonlight, but who can be a hero?

patton1942

Post by patton1942 » Wed May 19, 2010 3:48 am

I just can't believe, given the vagueness of the question, how FEW people selected Zuul. Yeah, Morri DNs are sick, but the rest of their ships are maybe, marginally better than humans.

Hands down, the race with the best firepower, across all 3 classes is the Zuul. The beam turrets in their DNs alone are insanely powerful.

They are gameplay balanced with tech and hits, but their ships have the most raw, firepower of any other race. More turrets and mounts than anybody.
Mecron on Rebellions: "hell no, we won't go!" becomes "Holy crap! We don't wanna glow!"
Here be pirates

TriniWarlord

Post by TriniWarlord » Mon May 24, 2010 3:35 pm

Dont down play the humans & certainly dont think they can only fire half their guns at any 1 target. U jus need to be a little micro-ing an try coming in for a broadside den doing a barrel roll an hitting them a second broadside. I'v tried this and I used 3 human armor CR's with DF racks against a Morrigi fleet and wiped out bout 8 of their CR's (PS their flat ship design means they jus eat up fire once u get in the thick of it) Morrigi are best at foward firing 4 this reason as their thin profile works best.
Also the Human Assault Blazer DN with 13, maybe more, beams are not to be downplayed either. Maybe not as much as Morrigi but still formidable.
That said the Morrigi DN Death Flocks are truly a Grand menace in their own right. Jus cant beat Morrigi DN's
Assumptions and interpretations are the lens through which we view the world, sometimes deluding ourselves that what we see is the truth.

fiendishrabbit

Post by fiendishrabbit » Mon May 24, 2010 3:45 pm

TriniWarlord wrote:I'v tried this and I used 3 human armor CR's with DF racks against a Morrigi fleet and wiped out bout 8 of their CR's (PS their flat ship design means they jus eat up fire once u get in the thick of it) Morrigi are best at foward firing 4 this reason as their thin profile works best.

The roll doesn't help humans that much.
Their firepower is really concentrated into those large turrets, and those are centerlined.
With a BB/Armor (IMHO the best human armor combination) you only miss out on 3 medium guns and a single heavy laser when broadsiding. That's maybe 20-30% of your total firepower.
Now Hivers on the other hand really benefit from rolling (adding maybe 5 more medium turret mounts) if they were equipped with something as slow-firing as dumbfires (which is pretty much dumbfires and phasers really. All of the other medium mounts fire so fast that you're just as likely to lose a salvo in the roll as gain one).
You can't trust the Liir. Never trust someone that smiles all the time.

TriniWarlord

Post by TriniWarlord » Mon May 24, 2010 4:17 pm

That depends on how u use ur sections, I personally use Armor sections as brawlers so BB isn't effective and prefer the Assault Blazer sections for forward firing power. Also the roll does help I'm not speculating I'v actually used this tactic and with a high damage slow rate of fire weapon like DF racks it does help in getting in those extra salvos. I hav even seen the turrets arc upwards (ie right angle to ship) so that almost all weapons fire at the target in a short space of time as it passes
Assumptions and interpretations are the lens through which we view the world, sometimes deluding ourselves that what we see is the truth.

fiendishrabbit

Post by fiendishrabbit » Mon May 24, 2010 4:32 pm

TriniWarlord wrote:That depends on how u use ur sections, I personally use Armor sections as brawlers so BB isn't effective and prefer the Assault Blazer sections for forward firing power.

There I think that you're wrong.
The human BB/Armor section is a hideously effective brawler.
In fact, that's where it excels (there is no other section that can match the BB in a brawl). It's tough. It has very wide arcs, so it will preform well when maneuvering and under chaotic conditions (in particular if you have enemies on every side) and its nowhere as sluggish as the assault section.

The assault/Blazer section is also pretty weak after the initial clash. BB/Armor just keeps on dealing damage.

SpardaSon21

Post by SpardaSon21 » Mon May 24, 2010 7:33 pm

Yep, Human CR Assault sections have 2 beams and a torp, and nothing else, so good luck brawling with that. Human CR Battle Bridge sections only have a single heavy beam, but a large and two mediums.

Coyote27

Post by Coyote27 » Mon May 24, 2010 11:02 pm

fiendishrabbit wrote:
There I think that you're wrong.

Protip: If you want to use both the broadside turrets and the heavy beam, put the beam in weapon group 2 and use face target, then select a target for group 1.

fiendishrabbit wrote:
Now Hivers on the other hand really benefit from rolling (adding maybe 5 more medium turret mounts) if they were equipped with something as slow-firing as dumbfires (which is pretty much dumbfires and phasers really. All of the other medium mounts fire so fast that you're just as likely to lose a salvo in the roll as gain one).

Or you could just force yourself into the middle of the enemy formation so every turret has a target...
"In the absence of any orders, go find something and kill it." -Erwin Rommel

fiendishrabbit

Post by fiendishrabbit » Tue May 25, 2010 7:39 am

Coyote27 wrote:Or you could just force yourself into the middle of the enemy formation so every turret has a target...

My preferred tactic :twisted:

Mesaia

Post by Mesaia » Tue May 25, 2010 7:42 am

Or you can just use your offside weapons to finish off leakers!

TriniWarlord

Post by TriniWarlord » Tue May 25, 2010 10:43 am

fiendishrabbit wrote:
In fact, that's where it excels (there is no other section that can match the BB in a brawl). It's tough. It has very wide arcs, so it will preform well when maneuvering and under chaotic conditions (in particular if you have enemies on every side) and its nowhere as sluggish as the assault section.

I see u hav a point dere, I'v never used them for that purpose early on because of the cost and slow turning,(I preferred cheap maneuverable ships) but as u mention it the large arc does provide good coverage thus reducing the need for excessive turning, (plus ionic thrusters should really help the turning) I'll hav to give it a try thanks :wink: & I only use the Assault section 4 forward firing heavy damage which is sometimes a very good tactic.

eg I once was battling a Zuul who had heavy stormers and other nasty mass driver weapons so his brawling potential was much higher, plus the Zuul live for the brawl. I decided to try to keep him at arms length and made the assault blazer with lancers and some torps and voila battle after battle I lay waste to his ships before he could get into range and I simply wasn't losing any ships at all. So its what's the best tactic at the time.

@Sparada: Try reading peoples posts properly before making obvious statements, I used assault blazer 4 "forward firing" NOT my brawling config

Return to “The Ships”