one true design to fear(well 2 designs)

Discuss ships, sections, and designs.
General_Zergie

one true design to fear(well 2 designs)

Post by General_Zergie » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:35 am

I think one design that we can all agree on is a medium or heavy defense platform with tractor beams I mean if that latches onto your ship and it swings it planet side doesnt matter if the ship a dread its dead and no way to stop it's demise and worst if EVERY medium and heavy platform has tractor or if its a torp platform with disabling torps then you're really up the creek with the paddle lodges up your arse!

Mesaia

Re: one true design to fear(well 2 designs)

Post by Mesaia » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:47 am

Pffft. I'll top that one with Liir CRs with Tractors.

You can always stand off and hammer the sats with long range weapons.

Bhordin

Post by Bhordin » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:37 am

And I'll one up that, Liir DNs with tractor beams. Better yet, gravy beams. And for giggles, spin the DN sats with your impactors.

Hunterada

Post by Hunterada » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:05 pm

General_Zergie wrote:I think one design that we can all agree on is a medium or heavy defense platform with tractor beams I mean if that latches onto your ship and it swings it planet side doesnt matter if the ship a dread its dead and no way to stop it's demise and worst if EVERY medium and heavy platform has tractor or if its a torp platform with disabling torps then you're really up the creek with the paddle lodges up your arse!

Torps? Anything that CAN be shot down, given sufficient point defense WILL be shot down.

I just spent a few turns facing fully-populated DE/CR/DN rings of Zuul defense sats with tractors and missile spam of the standard, dumbfire and MIRVing varieties, using antimatter warheads. Zuul love that missile spam, it seems.

I'm still at the early cruiser level of warfighting tech.

With armor-piercing mass drivers/heavy driver cruisers, loading the rear bays with bog-standard fusion missiles, I filled every small bay in the fleet with laser PD, then brought in a pair of dedicated PD cruisers. (They got light emitters too). Then, I brought that unarmored fleet straight into the teeth of a Zuul missile swarm without a scratch and proceeded to blow away every single defense station that drifted within range of the mass drivers.

Sure, tractor beams are scary. But then you back up a little bit, turn around and sip a Coke while stripping off the defenses from a safe distance.
(Spreadsheet-using, statistics-wielding, game mechanics analyzing bastard)

Quester

Post by Quester » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:08 pm

I thought that had been "corrected" as a bug that slamed ships into a planet.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:13 pm

Hunterada wrote:
General_Zergie wrote: or if its a torp platform with disabling torps then you're really up the creek with the paddle lodges up your arse!

Torps? Anything that CAN be shot down, given sufficient point defense WILL be shot down.

Disabling torps can't be shot down.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

General_Zergie

Post by General_Zergie » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:57 pm

ZedF wrote:
Hunterada wrote:
General_Zergie wrote: or if its a torp platform with disabling torps then you're really up the creek with the paddle lodges up your arse!

Disabling torps can't be shot down.

thank you Zed yes EMP torps cant be shot down but with Harden electronic the effects are cut down but still an EMP torp hit your ship and tractors it in yea ur screw and as for impactors yes they will make them spazz out in spins and I know from experience that tractor beam can get a dread and toss it or slam it into the planet (used the tractor beam on defense platforms one time ingame and comp copied me)

Hunterada

Post by Hunterada » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:26 am

Good to know about the EMP torpedoes. The solution set remains the same though. Mounting tractors on CA/DN level sats is a no-brainer. It's very effective vs the AI, and effective exactly once against a human opponent. After that, a human will pause his ships a bit shy of your tractor range, then hammer the hell out of the defensive ring.
(Spreadsheet-using, statistics-wielding, game mechanics analyzing bastard)

The Apprentice

Post by The Apprentice » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:18 am

I've never put tractor beams on my defense sats. However, I have shot the engines off of invading ships and seen them crash against planets. It has always appeared to me that ships crashing into planets damage pop,infra, and haz.

Is it lessened when you use tractors to do it? How established a colony is required so the crashing ships won't wipe out the colony? Any rules of thumb?
Feel free to call me App- it's shorter.

Space Voyager

Post by Space Voyager » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:04 am

THe bigger the ship, the bigger the damage. Not at all sure how big.

But when a ship is so close to the colony for the tractor beam to catch it... It may be a lesser damage probability to just slam it into the planet. Not always the case, naturally.
ErinysSolForce Intelligence has great difficulty penetrating Liir society to that depth, for obvious reasons. fibioLack of scuba gear?

the_ubernoob
Zuul Survivor
Zuul Survivor

Post by the_ubernoob » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:22 pm

The Apprentice wrote:Is it lessened when you use tractors to do it? How established a colony is required so the crashing ships won't wipe out the colony? Any rules of thumb?

The impact of the crashing ship will inflict significantly less damage to the colony than that same ship would have inflicted with its weapons.
"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout."
-parody of the litany of command

spaced_monkey

Post by spaced_monkey » Fri May 14, 2010 6:00 am

the_ubernoob wrote:
The Apprentice wrote:Is it lessened when you use tractors to do it? How established a colony is required so the crashing ships won't wipe out the colony? Any rules of thumb?

The impact of the crashing ship will inflict significantly less damage to the colony than that same ship would have inflicted with its weapons.

Ok lets uses a Liir AI Armour dreadnought mass 101 000 (tons i think)

if you use simple math velocity x mass = energy you might find that the people of your planets would prefer the the weapons of the ship to hit rather then the ship.

whats really bad is that equation doesn't account for AM fuel if its an AM powered ship. technically slamming a am dreadnought against a planet may actually cause the planet to break up from that kind of impact. :bangdesk:

patton1942

Post by patton1942 » Sat May 15, 2010 5:16 am

your equation also doesn't take into account the fact that combat turns represent roughly 1 year of combat (1 turn, ~1 year).

I'm pretty sure the guns win this argument, my friend.
Mecron on Rebellions: "hell no, we won't go!" becomes "Holy crap! We don't wanna glow!"
Here be pirates

spaced_monkey

Post by spaced_monkey » Sun May 16, 2010 2:11 am

patton1942 wrote:your equation also doesn't take into account the fact that combat turns represent roughly 1 year of combat (1 turn, ~1 year).

I'm pretty sure the guns win this argument, my friend.

my battles last 120-240 seconds or 2-4 minutes, it makes me wonder what my fleets is doing for the rest of the minutes in that year (535 598) :roll:

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon May 17, 2010 7:21 pm

I dunno...trying to explain the concept of "abstraction" to their leader?

Return to “The Ships”