Ships that don't make sense in SotS][...

Discuss ships, sections, and designs.
RobAK801
Doomsayer

Ships that don't make sense in SotS][...

Post by RobAK801 » Fri May 21, 2010 1:43 am

I was thinking the other day about ship changes in SotS][, specifically the DE being changed to STL only, and how it will affect ships currently in SotS Prime. Here are some ship classes I see dying out/changing:
DE:
Tanker- as a stl ship this would make no sense, as presumably in system there are numerous refuel points. Possibly a CR tanker similar to the refinery but lacking the refine function and hence be cheaper.
Extended Range- This DE like the tanker makes less sense to me, this role will be taken over by the Hvy ER CR.
Jammer- this one is iffy, still useful in tactical but on strategic may not function while docked to its carrier, I could see this changing to a CR command section similar to the EW section.
Any FTL ship of the DE class other than Gates- rip bores and DE grav boats are right out as they would need to be FTL to make a contribution. Gates however still make sense, strap them to a carrier and drop them on the dead worlds that you will mine but care little about, cheaper than CR Gates.

These are just some thoughts, any one else have any ideas, comments, contributions?
N* makes me miss my Commadore 64 and my copies of Starflight I + II :(

SolForce Grunt 1: With the Suul'ka on the loose Command has issued a F.U.C.K. You order.
SG2: A what?
SG1: A Fight Until Cthulu Kills You order!

Naja
Doomsayer

Re: Ships that don't make sense in SotS][...

Post by Naja » Fri May 21, 2010 5:19 am

Destroyers will probably be used for recon, so Deep Scan may not be totally phased out.

But all in all, SOTS II Destroyers are mostly just mobile weapons platforms. I don't expect too much specialization.

RobAK801
Doomsayer

Post by RobAK801 » Fri May 21, 2010 10:56 am

Here is another thought, current battleriders are single section ships, will this be the case in SotS][? If so then what does this do to the designs availible for DE class ships?

SolForce Grunt 1: With the Suul'ka on the loose Command has issued a F.U.C.K. You order.

Monkeyking

Post by Monkeyking » Sun May 23, 2010 12:28 am

I don't think there will be any available FTL capable destroyers in Sots 2. With the exception of Node missiles the idea of strapping a destroyers worth of explosives on a ship just seem like a really bad idea.
"And I say that selling you soul to the devil is only done by the stupid. Why sell your soul for temporarily pleasure ,and eternal servitude where it be far easier to rent it." Charles John Heredia

RobAK801
Doomsayer

Post by RobAK801 » Sun May 23, 2010 12:45 am

I don't think the node missile as it is now makes much sense for SotS][. I could see a multi-node missile CR, like an engine system carrying multiple node missiles as riders.

On a small abstract single planet system they are fine but how much damage can 1 node missile do on a larger scale less abstract system? More would be needed to be effective and so a multi-node missile CR would make more sense to me.

You could deliver more missiles on targets at once for less expense (node rings cost more than bombs after all), the delivery system may even be armed with defensive weapons to increase survivability (light mounts mostly for PD and maybe a med mount or 2 on the engine), and it has been mentioned that riders will be built seperate from carriers so it could even be possible to reuse the delivery system if it was a missile carrier instead of a fire-and-forget system (further saving on costs).

Just my opinion, take it for what it's worth.

Adamfostas

Post by Adamfostas » Fri May 28, 2010 12:33 pm

RobAK801 wrote:On a small abstract single planet system they are fine but how much damage can 1 node missile do on a larger scale less abstract system? More would be needed to be effective and so a multi-node missile CR would make more sense to me.

What if that missile could engender a solar flare powerful enough to irradiate every world in the system?

And yes, I have been reading a lot of Peter Hamilton lately, if you ask.

amtie

Post by amtie » Fri May 28, 2010 11:02 pm

Well the Sun can't do that... So I don't think a mere missile far less powerful and massive than a star can...

marshb

Post by marshb » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:12 am

I wonder if Sots2 will be moving in the direction of Homeworld like Motherships with not just battle craft but also auxiliary ships for mining and refining.

This would make the leviathans not just warships but important bases of operations that cant be casually thrown away, but be protected lest you suffer economic/infrastructural losses.

Has this concept already been discussed in the Sot2 query's by Mecron in the general discussions section? I don't want to go over already well trod ground :wink: .
Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future.

Orison of Sonmi-451

Adamfostas

Post by Adamfostas » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:02 pm

amtie wrote:Well the Sun can't do that... So I don't think a mere missile far less powerful and massive than a star can...

Ah, but you see, QUANTUM.

fibio

Post by fibio » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:18 pm

marshb wrote:I wonder if Sots2 will be moving in the direction of Homeworld like Motherships with not just battle craft but also auxiliary ships for mining and refining.

This would make the leviathans not just warships but important bases of operations that cant be casually thrown away, but be protected lest you suffer economic/infrastructural losses.

Has this concept already been discussed in the Sot2 query's by Mecron in the general discussions section? I don't want to go over already well trod ground :wink: .

While we haven't had any denials I would expect that Mecron might avoid making a game more like Homeworld, he's already made that one :wink:
Buy my book - Six Seconds of Moonlight on the kindle store.

Anyone can be a god beneath the moonlight, but who can be a hero?

marshb

Post by marshb » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:59 am

fibio wrote:
marshb wrote:I wonder if Sots2 will be moving in the direction of Homeworld like Motherships with not just battle craft but also auxiliary ships for mining and refining.

While we haven't had any denials I would expect that Mecron might avoid making a game more like Homeworld, he's already made that one :wink:

That's true, but a leviathan carrying destroyers and cruisers of varying mission sections would kinda sorta be close to that. Besides I'm secretly hoping it would have that logistical flavor :twisted: I don't see it as a bad thing :thumbsup: If, however, the leviathans manufactured their riders I'd have to agree that would be too close to a "Galaxy of Homeworld Motherships". Not a good thing. It would spoil the logistics aspect.

Taking care in choosing mission sections and load out of the leviathan at port should be part of the "strategy". Gee, I think I answered my own post. :oops:
Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future.

Orison of Sonmi-451

sorain

Post by sorain » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:32 am

Node missles only count as DE's because they can make transit. (IMHO)

I would expect the change to be from Strategic Bombardment Missle's to Strategic Bomardment Carrier (assuming that it requires a specalised section. If it does not, then SBM's abruptly become a lot more frightning. After all, how do you know that fleet is not prepared to swap out their CR's to the back line and let a pile of SBM's erupt into your face?)

Given that a SBM deployment (at least in my experience of using them) requires a C&C ship anyhow, making a CR that combines the two roles (a SBC mission section basically) allowing for double the capacity of a battle rider section. (IE if 3 DE battle riders, then 6 SBM's instead)

The resulting stand off ability would be a valuable tool. Another factor is that a scaling down of the SBM, combined with removal of the node ring engine module, would allow for their use from immoble and even mobile platforms. Imagine facing down a human world protected by its DE sats, CR sats, and DN sats armed with SBM's, backed up by the planet missles of course.

I wonder if DE trader vessels will vanish, or if that will be the final FTL DE classed ships. Speaking of, I dont think I have heard anything about Trade in SOTS ][. *immediately pictures a DN 'Uber Freighter', causing the accountant in his head to drool.*

Oh my...
The brain gets its power from performing many parallel operations, a computer from performing operations very quickly.

Mesaia

Post by Mesaia » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:07 am

Huh? What do you mean by strategic bombardment missiles?

Profound_Darkness

Post by Profound_Darkness » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:02 pm

I thought they were going for more detail in ship design - ie instead of a section dedicated to jamming for a cruiser you could have a section that has room for 1 or more subsystems such as jamming.

I don't see why node missiles would have to go away. It's still something like an ICBM is now. Sure you could strap a bunch of missiles onto a cruiser (well a couple with what we saw of the new encounter) but nothing seems at all amiss to me to have a massive payload strapped to an ftl engine moving forward to sots2.

As for single section only for riders - that is something of a sots prime limitation. We haven't been informed one way or the other (that I can remember) if this will change but I don't see why it can't change. IIRC it's not just DEs that can be riders (points at the Tarka in sots-any).

btw: A great way to think of sots2 - carrier oriented naval combat.
Mecron wrote:... "Hey aliens!! Candygram from the planet of crazy talking monkeys!!" ...

my fav tactical w/fav races :)

Return to “The Ships”