Stupid Relativity

Discuss ships, sections, and designs.
Raziel Star

Stupid Relativity

Post by Raziel Star » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:18 am

So apparently there are going to be new power sources beyond anti-matter in SotS2. While I have no idea what could be used after AM, some just occurred to me. Hivers not having an FTL drive recive the fastest STL engines. On the design screen AM Hiver ships can move at 1 LY/turn (.99 LY/turn on the strategic screen). Since the Hivers are literally traveling at the Max speed of the universe anything past AM shouldn't be able to push them faster. So if post AM era power sources will be avalible, will the Hivers just plateau out and maybe get an increase to their Farcaster range, or will their ships be "dumbed" at AM era to keep them from going over the speed of light.

Mesaia

Re: Stupid Relativity

Post by Mesaia » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:32 am

I believe that Mecron has specifically said that there would not be any power sources beyond AM. He didn't quite rule out novel applications or uses of power though. There's an example in SoTS itself of post-AM applications of manipulating power. Quantum Capacitors.

spaced_monkey

Post by spaced_monkey » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:42 pm

i thought i herd mention of zero point generators, Am is nice but nothing beats zpm's ( coffee cup size module that can power a Continent indefinitely on the power created by the universe expanding lol.)

ps the zero point generators they have work with have all failed to save after a fraction of a second of operation. meaning you could slam ships in to your own planets with only minor problems :thumbsup:

pps the fact that they potentially can be that small every system could have its own power supply and ship designers would need to worry so much about how to power them all in a ship design :bangdesk:

hargert

Post by hargert » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:52 am

Correct it has been said that no new power source as you can't beat turning matter into pure energy but we will have new techs to use that power with.

AnarchCassius

Post by AnarchCassius » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:13 pm

Coffee cup sized generator powering a continent? That sounds far-fetched even by zero point standards. By the time SotS is at that level they'll be having time wars and attempting to unravel each other on the starstring level or something. I believe Mec said ZP may exist but are not significant to SotS navies because the generators would likely be large and slow. I'd imagine it more as a passive economic/industry boost then anything to do with the ships. AM gives you the power you need when you need it and is small enough.

Hamann

Post by Hamann » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:16 am

Hmm, I wonder how Time Wars would be handled by KP. It would be fairly interesting, specially in Multiplayer

:bangdesk:
Hannster on Steam
Nubirak on most MMOs

Irgling

Post by Irgling » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:30 pm

Hamann wrote:Hmm, I wonder how Time Wars would be handled by KP. It would be fairly interesting, specially in Multiplayer

:bangdesk:

Forces all players to go into an earlier savegame with the time traveller keeping his time hopping forces. :D

AnarchCassius

Post by AnarchCassius » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:12 pm

Except only the time hopping fleet should have foreknowlege...

"Please stare directly at the center of the screen for short term memory wipe.*

*Kerberos Software is not responsible for epileptic seizure or other neurological damage."

Return to “The Ships”