Speculation on Suul'ka faction ships

Discuss ships, sections, and designs.
RobAK801
Doomsayer

Re: Speculation on Suul'ka faction ships

Post by RobAK801 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:31 pm

DM: Penfold, what do you do when you're scared?
Penfold: I SCREAM!!!
*DM & Penfold land in a giant bowl of "ice cream"*

Perhaps the Lords of Winter give you such painful brain freeze you scream in pain and are temporarily blinded! :bangdesk:

I can't wait for next year to see just how far off all our wild speculations have been :thumbsup:
N* makes me miss my Commadore 64 and my copies of Starflight I + II :(

SolForce Grunt 1: With the Suul'ka on the loose Command has issued a F.U.C.K. You order.
SG2: A what?
SG1: A Fight Until Cthulu Kills You order!

GammaPaladin
Cassandra

Post by GammaPaladin » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:17 pm

I had a hilarious thought about battle riders in SotS II the other day. Not a serious one, but it would be hilarious. Imagine an LV warping in, deploying 3 DN battle riders (Like the Tarka DN carrier has 3 CR riders), each of which deploys 3 CR riders, each of which deploys 3 DE riders, each of which launches 2 drones.

That would be hilarious to watch. I'd have to call it the "Fleet in a box" :)

TriNova

Post by TriNova » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:08 am

That would kill my framerate, and I get the feeling that such ships won't be allowed to be carried, as if your carrying drones and other ships, that leaves little space for your ship to latch on to the LV.

brotherswing

Post by brotherswing » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:58 pm

True, but it would so be worth watching my video card melt. Kinda like sending the Morrigi flagship with three drone DN's after a swarm infestation.
If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?
- Albert Einstein -

Yuji

Post by Yuji » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:12 pm

This is my opinion ok.

When I saw the trailer for SOTS 2 Lord of Winter, those Zuul like ships didn't even took a shot on the Argos Naval Yard, that big cloudy thing must've something that covered a large...whatever it is while chasing the Zuul Ships, it must've been Leviathan ships, to what I've seen in the overview of SOTS 2 on youtube, some of those new ship designs looks somewhat biological.

Those Zuul Ships must've been running from that monstrous thingy and ran to Argos Naval Yard for it to leave them alone.

hargert

Post by hargert » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:40 pm

Not quite those are the herald ships that are bringing the word of the lord of winters return. The cloudy thing is the node line point and them coming out of it. Also from comments made by the devs the speculation is that is a larger than Leviathan sized ship of some kind. Right now we dont have much to go on.

waaaghmasta

Post by waaaghmasta » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:24 pm

Well i to finished antiquarians by getting myself wiped out, but strangely i saw the ending video to, the big mask thing with multiple tenacles looks like a helmet of cthulhu if u ask me. And it did SCREAM just like the menacing shadow over Argos Naval Shipyard.

Yuji

Post by Yuji » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:15 am

Probably then you are right if those were the herald.

Sons of Skaro

Post by Sons of Skaro » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:44 am

Maybe monsterously huge Suul'ka ships are not quite a Death Star rip-off.

I'd like to think it was meant to be a hommage to the inspired visions of Konami's Salamander (Life Force),

Transformers' Unicron,

Babylon 5's Vorlon and Shadow Planet-Killers (Okay, nobody actually got to see the Shadow's Planet-Killers :roll: ),

the "Beast-Planet" of War Planets,

and the Dalek Crucible.

Hmmm... Maybe it is a Death Star rip-off. :wink:
Bring it on!

That's no moon. It's a space station.
-"Ben" Obi-Wan Kenobi
EXTERMINATE!

MrBoom

Post by MrBoom » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:53 pm

GammaPaladin wrote:I had a hilarious thought about battle riders in SotS II the other day. Not a serious one, but it would be hilarious. Imagine an LV warping in, deploying 3 DN battle riders (Like the Tarka DN carrier has 3 CR riders), each of which deploys 3 CR riders, each of which deploys 3 DE riders, each of which launches 2 drones.

That would be hilarious to watch. I'd have to call it the "Fleet in a box" :)

That'd be the "Matryoshka" class Leviathan :thumbsup:

MS_Cowboy

Post by MS_Cowboy » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:28 pm

I don't really like the idea of an entire size class of build-able super ships available only to one race. I read a suggestion and even had similar ideas myself before about a mobile faction, not using colonies but rather operating from a mobile mothership which roves the galaxy consuming resources from planets and moving on ID4 style.

Of course at the time mecron dismissed it as a cool but completely unworkable idea, but maybe they actually went back to that and came up with something that actually works. The larger size class would be the mothership/ships rather than a normal ship class you can just build like any other which would ease my concerns about them having a class the others don't. Another concern I had was that they would be too thematically similar to zuul like this, being resource gobbling locusts consuming the universe, a sort of super zuul. But since I've been reading things to the effect of zuul no longer being an actual playable race but rather a subfaction of sorts for the Liir and Suulka, they would no longer have overlapping themes.

Come to think of it, they could have motherships in this way without giving up traditional colonies since the player race is supposed to be zuul and suulka combined. The super-home-planet-like mothership being the suulka half of the coalition, while the zuul half keep normal colonies like always.
Blinded by X-ray Lasers

Rix

Post by Rix » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:02 am

I've always loved the nomad race concept. Cheap, early mining destroyers busily ferrying resources to the worldship from two or three nearby worlds as it drifts slowly toward the richer galactic core. Racial construction ships taking the place of colonizers, building hab complexes, defense clusters, newborn worldships. An unholy combination of morrigi self improvement and zuul voraciousness. I could make suggestions on how to try and make it work for hours.

Sadly it is not to be.

Sometimes though, I deliberately draw out SP games with the Zuul until I can make Devourer-centered fleets complete with an overly elaborate flock of support and mining ships bolstering the destroyer swarm and massive command ship. It comes close.
This is not a signature.

TrashMan

Post by TrashMan » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:19 am

Nomad space-races are..iffi..

Massive world-ship would be HORRIFICLY difficult to construct, they'd have to be moon-sized.
This planet is barely big enough for us here and we're already polluting the hell out of it.
A nomading worldship? Just looks like an unbelievable waste of resources.
halo07guy wrote: Praise be to Trashman! All will revel in his holy modding skillz!
And I say onto you: Blessed are those who play my mods - for they are good!

the_ubernoob
Zuul Survivor
Zuul Survivor

Post by the_ubernoob » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:37 pm

Obviously the nightmare unit is a moon-sized sphere of tribbles.

The suulka couldn't field them until they had intercepted enough marshmallow ships to breed the tribbles to critical mass.
"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout."
-parody of the litany of command

Return to “The Ships”