Zuul Assault Shuttle Questions

Discuss ships, sections, and designs.
Shatner

Zuul Assault Shuttle Questions

Post by Shatner » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:39 pm

In the past as the Zuul, I would put Strafe sections on my Scavengers to take advantage of the sweet, sweet 12 medium turret mounts. However, I recently started using assault sections instead because having a ship capable of launching both a slave disc AND an assault shuttle seems pretty synergistic. What I'll do is arrive in the system, launch a bunch of discs and shuttles, retreat the first wave of scavengers to make way for the next wave, repeat until I run out of scavengers AND THEN attack the planet's defense fleet while it is preoccupied frantically trying to shoot down 20 to 40 planetary assault craft. Obviously a fair number of the discs and/or shuttles never make it back to their motherships but I have ample R&S ships to replace them.

Or so I thought... I'm finding that my assault shuttles won't "repair" on my scavengers: lost slave discs are replaced but not shuttles. My assault/CnC ship (which has two flavors of riders as well: assault shuttle and boarding pods) recovers all three riders just fine. Is this a bug or am I missing something?

As a secondary question, do the costs of the rider get passed along to the costs of the mothership? For example, a slave disc covered with gauss cannons and mass drivers costs less than one armed with lasers and missiles. Would two otherwise identical scavengers cost the same if they were carrying the different slave discs? The same question applies for a drone ship with plain red laser drones vs UV beamers and improved reflective armor drones. I've checked before and it didn't look like the cost changed, but I was wondering if this was maybe a hidden cost.

Shatner

Re: Zuul Assault Shuttle Questions

Post by Shatner » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:24 pm

Nevermind about replacing/repairing assault shuttles. When I loaded my last save I was able to replace them this time and from then on out everything worked fine... more or less. There were a handful of times when one or another scavenger wouldn't recoup it's shuttle but I'm willing to downgrade the whole thing from "OMG bug" to "quirk" and move on.

I'm doing pretty well, all told, but I just started to backfill sensor technology and the turn I finished Advanced Sensors I noticed two things: there was this weird, cigar-shaped ship hanging out at the tip of my arm of the Spiral map and that there seemed to be a planet missing. Uh oh.... Any advice on how to fight Sparky with fusion era Zuul craft with a focus on AP rounds? Are corrosive missiles any good?

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Re: Zuul Assault Shuttle Questions

Post by ZedF » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:56 pm

Sparky is the one GM I've never faced, so I can't say for sure, but iirc minelayers are good (if cheesy.) Otherwise you need something to withstand his retargeting ubermissile barrage, like deflector DNs or heavy phaser PD plus weasels or something. Up close it has some nasty beam armament too, so iirc most answers try to stay out of range of those.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

silvaril
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

*chuckle*

Post by silvaril » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:36 pm

Heya

One classic approach to Sparky is to meet him in deep space to avoid risking a planet, and the risk that your fleet gets taken out when the system implodes...

The other classic approach involves a planet and disrupter family torpedoes... :twisted:
( which same prevents Sparky from being able to slow down on his approach to the planet... )
silvaril wrote:Love is Love, God is God and I am still Living a Lifetime

Disclaimer:
The views of any individual may not necessarily represent those of "God"(tm)

Return to “The Ships”