Ship design - is this going to work

Discuss ships, sections, and designs.
Lich

Ship design - is this going to work

Post by Lich » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:55 am

Hi,

I came out with interesting human DE design:
All light slots filled by light emitters, Sniper Cannon in medium one. First leve of Armour upgrade + First level of Antylaser coating.

Is this going to work? - seems like low tech, all around ship

Mesaia

Re: Ship design - is this going to work

Post by Mesaia » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:46 am

I would go for all Sniper Cannon in both medium and small mounts or all LEs in medium and small mounts instead.

Instead of Sniper, I might have gone for Emitters (the medium mount one) and 1st lvl Zuul speak. For a really killer short-mid range War DE.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:47 pm

Ugh, for that amount of research, Mesaia, I'd sink it into getting cruisers; the window of opportunity for early emitter DD effectiveness isn't *that* large. ;)

For my money, I would pick either snipers or light emitters, and call that good enough until cruisers come in and I can start using medium mounts in quantity on a more survivable platform.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Mesaia

Post by Mesaia » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:19 am

Well, I admit I use the Emittor on DEs mostly when I failed PD and I really want to get started on knocking an enemy back. Assuming that I have good DEs of course.

I was assuming that he would have opted for Emittors instead of Snipers. Getting CRs instead of Snipers is counter-indicated when you only have LEs for a weapon. :P

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:03 pm

I don't agree with that last. If I have only LEs as a weapon, I would still get CAs rather than snipers. LEs on CAs are fine if your opponent still has mostly DDs, and mass drivers or other early mediums are not hard to research. Besides, the main benefit of going for CAs is in terms of CnC and non-combat ships, so it's worthwhile even if I am still using mostly DDs for main combatants.
Zed's TARs (sample):

ivra

Post by ivra » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:38 pm

Don’t underestimate the power of Light Emitters. A CR CnC with DEs, all equipped with LEs is able to do well even when meeting DNs, at least if they are not equipped with anti-matter era weapons. You need a lot of reserve ships and a couple of reserve CR CnCs. The reason is that most DNs have a lot of fire power in the forward direction. So every forward shot is basically an overkill of one of your destroyers. But normally only one at a time and that takes time. Your destroyers have become swarming bees. Now, do not try this if you are facing a DN with antimatter cannons, meson beams, or heavy antimatter cannons. They can fire in any directions and will be able to target and kill a lot of your DEs in a short time.

I remember one game where I only researched Light Emitters, Emitters, and much later Heavy Emitters as my only weapons. Only after getting DN CnC did I start to research other weapons. It was a test and it worked surprisingly well. In order to take down a planet you either need assault shuttles or Heavy Emitters. The Light Emitters and the medium Emitters does not do much damage to the population and it takes forever to take down a planet.

I might add that I played this as Tarkas. The Tarka strafe section for a destroyer has 8 small slots. Combine this with the overthrusting engine for an even better result. In a battle vs a planet just select the planet and hit close in - and watch... This works even if the planet is heavily defended.
A lot of these road signs go missing every year as the tourists collect their trophies. It makes me wonder if this road sign is indeed the most wanted souvenir of Norway...

Mesaia

Post by Mesaia » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:28 am

CNC, R&S are rather far away from the tech budget that he specified.

I admit that Emittors are about double what Snipers would cost but it's still quite a bit cheaper than CRs and CNC and R&S. Plus he was talking about the design for his main combatant not his entire military system. Sometimes, you really really want to hit the other guy fast, not after another 10 turns of research.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:27 pm

If I wanted to hit my enemy now I certainly would not delay on the basis of getting medium emitters! :lol: It just doesn't offer that much of an improvement on dual lights to be worth delaying for.

Plus, getting Emitters now delays CA CnC by that 10 more turns. Not only is CA CnC far more useful for attacking than medium emitters, delaying it can be a critical blunder in a game against an aggressive opponent who wants to attack *you*. I would rather have CAs now and a leg up on CA CnC, than medium emitters, any day. ;)

In fact I would say that CAs by themselves, without reference to CA CnC, are more valuable than medium emitters or snipers (given you have light emitters), purely on the basis of (a) giving capabilities you didn't have before, as CAs are more survivable than DDs to many potential enemy weapons and offer better durability against most alpha strikes, and (b) they open up a lot more potential research paths, including weapon-oriented ones. CAs mean medium mount weapon spam is much more viable, or you could get HCLs, shields become a lot more useful... the flexibility they offer is far more helpful overall than a modest upgrade to a weapon system you already have or a second small mount weapon.
Zed's TARs (sample):

Return to “The Ships”