Ionic Thrusters

Discuss ships, sections, and designs.
kdonovan

Ionic Thrusters

Post by kdonovan » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:51 pm

Are Ionic Thrusters automatically installed on all ships and missiles once research is complete? I assume so since I never saw anything to click to add them when designing a ship (like armor or suspended animation or recyclable fuel).

The speed and turn stats on the design screen did not change when I researched these - does the bonus just show up when you start fighting but never in the ship design screens etc.?

Generally, do people find them worthwhile? I would think they would be great for my Hiver cruisers which maneuver like bricks - but I'm not sure I notice much difference with them.

patton1942

Re: Ionic Thrusters

Post by patton1942 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:46 pm

yes and yes.

Turning is a big part of combat, and it makes slower turning sections (blazer, assault, etc) much more useful. At least, I have found it that way.
Mecron on Rebellions: "hell no, we won't go!" becomes "Holy crap! We don't wanna glow!"
Here be pirates

DervMan

Post by DervMan » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:48 pm

I'd reiterate; they are very useful, but Hiver ships are not agile... they are useful, but a percentage improvement over a small number still results in a small number! ;)

Zalzidrax

Post by Zalzidrax » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:40 am

That's rather misleading, looking at it that way though. It is actually a bigger improvement to slow turning ships than fast turning ships in terms of actual combat effectiveness. Reducing a ten second aiming time to 9 seconds is a much bigger improvement than reducing a 1 second aiming time to 0.9 seconds. (or whatever the percentage is)

DervMan

Post by DervMan » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:43 am

Well, sure; but as with everything, it depends on perspective. If Ionic Thrusters improve agility by 25% (this figure springs to mind) then that is a decent improvement, for sure. But the Hiver Cruiser may still feel tank-like compared to a Liir warship, just a little less tank like.

Eh. I can't put what I mean into words... ;)

I think what I'm trying to say is that you can't polish a ----. :lol:

ForceUser

Post by ForceUser » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:37 pm

Both perspectives are equally valid actually. Depends on how you (want to)use them. If you use a bunch of turreted weapons/section on a hiver ship then it's no big deal and if you put a ton of fixed beam or narrow/slow traverse turret section on a morigi ship then it's also no big deal. But if you manage to roll lancers/cutting beams with a hiver then that extra bit of turning could mean you would actually use the fixed beams a lot more and that they could be that bit more effective. Perhaps the little bit extra is no big BUT if you then combine it with the little bit extra from a hammerhead section then it all of a sudden becomes amazingly more useful as when you only had hammerheads.

just my 2c :)
Perspective Man: Much like common sense, it's so rare it's a gorram superpower.
Agent.nihilist wrote:Ooo! Whats the gesture for ramming!?
Korgan wrote:probably a pelvic thrust
Mecron wrote:oy that is wrong at so many levels...well done! :P

DervMan

Post by DervMan » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:44 pm

Absolutely - that's one of the fantastic things about SotS as well, as I often say. Polishing a ship's agility is only part of the argument, if that makes sense. ;)

Torezu

Post by Torezu » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:47 pm

It could also bump you a size class down (from DN to CR) on what you can effectively target with those beams. Some of that depends on what race you're fighting against. What I find interesting is that it increases turn speed for missiles, too...I've never had a problem with missiles hitting targets.

Maerlyn

Post by Maerlyn » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:39 am

The Wiki says that the Ionic Thrusters also increase the tactical Speed by 50%. For Missiles only of for Ships as well?

Increases turning speed by 25% for all ships and missiles. Increases tactical speed by +50%.
http://sots.rorschach.net/Ionic_Thrusters

This would make this tech really amazing and a "must have" tech in my eyes since tactical movespeed for ships is really important in combat.

However, I cant really believe it.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:20 am

I thought in SotS1 it increases thrust (and hence acceleration), not top speed, though I haven't played around with the tech that much. It's probably worth testing to be sure.

I seem to recall in SotS 2 someone mentioned it increases top speed as well.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Torezu

Post by Torezu » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:06 pm

I thought it was only rotation speed. I've noticed a difference in turning speed after researching it, but that's it...no tactical speed increase.

zanzibar196
Note: Not A Moderator

Ionic Thrusters

Post by zanzibar196 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:14 pm

Torezu wrote:I thought it was only rotation speed. I've noticed a difference in turning speed after researching it, but that's it...no tactical speed increase.

Rotation is the same thing as turning...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Torezu

Post by Torezu » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:47 pm

zanzibar196 wrote:
Torezu wrote:I thought it was only rotation speed. I've noticed a difference in turning speed after researching it, but that's it...no tactical speed increase.

Rotation is the same thing as turning...

Yes, and? I didn't intend to say that those were two different things.

Return to “The Ships”