Propaganda ships - how do human use them?

Discuss ships, sections, and designs.
Orion_Steel

Propaganda ships - how do human use them?

Post by Orion_Steel » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:32 pm

Hi, I hope someone can help with this.

I am playing humans, and I want the Lir to be my friends - I recall reading somewhere that if you and Lir share a world the populatin limit is higher (I guess because they live in the sea). Despite giving Lir monies, not glassing or taking their colonies, only defending my colonies when they attack, they still hate me :(
Tried telling them how big my empire is (4th, they are 8th)

Now all I can think of is to use a propaganda ship to tell them how awsome I am :awesome:

Problem is I can't figure out how to do that as humans.
http://sots.rorschach.net/ say's you can improve relations if you park a Propaganda ship in deep space within 3 light year of enemy empire. But, the closest star is 4.7 from one of their colonies.

:?: Since I only have nodelines, how do I park my ship in deepspace 3 light years from their planet?

Thanks for any advice on how to use Propaganda ships as human (and getting the fish to like me)

OS
Last edited by Orion_Steel on Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nspace
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Re: Propaganda ships - how do human use them?

Post by Nspace » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:06 pm

You can take a node line to a Liir world and then move your fleet STL off of their planet for a turn or two. They will probably send a fleet to attack you at some point, but until then, your Propaganda ship will be working.

As for getting them to like you: Liir prefer research to money. Also if you attack and destroy the ships of their enemies inside their sensor range, that will help as well. Oh and if you can get a ceasefire with them and then stick to it, it's more likely that they will agree to a NAP.
"Quando omni flunkus, mortati" - "When all else fails, play dead"
SotS 1 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots1/Main_Page
SotS 2 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots2/SotS2_Codex

Orion_Steel

Post by Orion_Steel » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:53 am

Thanks Nspace.

I'll give it a try, but it sounds risky doing a "fly-by" of the planet before fleeing into space STL- can't even retreat or I'll end up going by node-lines again. I wonder if I can "get off" the node line from a nearby planet by flying towards a star with no lines, then change direction toward Lir world and avoid node-travel, then stop when in range. It will take forever - but may be worth it to avoid dodging planet missiles with my prop-cruiser.

Sadly the Lir keeps canceling my cease-fire, then fires on me... :(

I tried giving money, but I'll try research instead - perhaps an IA infection :twisted: .

Attacking their enemies in their sight is a great idea.

OS

usermist2

Post by usermist2 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:33 pm

Do you have the latest version of AMoC/ANY? The AI tended to be flakier in the earlier versions. If your ceasefires keep being broken a few turns after being set up, it means they aren't sure about your intentions.

Things Go Better With C2H5OH.

Orion_Steel

Post by Orion_Steel » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:40 pm

usermist2 wrote:Do you have the latest version of AMoC/ANY? The AI tended to be flakier in the earlier versions. If your ceasefires keep being broken a few turns after being set up, it means they aren't sure about your intentions.

I have the complete collection, V 1.8.0. I think that is the latest (excepting SOTS2). Is it :?:

Not sure why they are unsure of my intentions...silly fish.
I have not attacked any of their worlds, and only defended my self when they attack me. Guess self defence confuses them :shock:

When we first met they did open fire on me first, and I was glad - we both scouted a nice world, and now it is mine, all mine! Bwhahahahaa...<sorry>

Followup: I got my propaganda ship at 2.9 LY (used the approach above to get close in STL), but I guess it is not working...my colony had visit of 29 Lir cruisers...perhaps a sushi cooking show was accidentally included in the propaganda, cuz they seemed upset - a lot !lol

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:09 am

Once the Liir have decided you are an enemy they tend to stay that way. In order to be friends with the Liir you usually have to do it at the start of the game. Other races can be more swayed by events as they happen.

Apart from starting at the beginning of the game on the path of friendship with a given race, the most reliable way I've found to make a friend out of another race is to defend a colony of theirs from a 3rd party. You don't want to be leaving fleets of ships around in orbit when other enemy races aren't present, though.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Return to “The Ships”