Screenshots of the refugees?

Discuss ships, sections, and designs.
Ludovsky

Screenshots of the refugees?

Post by Ludovsky » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:12 am

I'm curious, but has anyone ever taken a screenshot of the refugee dreadnought?

I've always been curious as to what it looked like, as i always played Sword of the Stars 2 more than Prime and the refugees aren't(yet) in 2.

nickersonm

Re: Screenshots of the refugees?

Post by nickersonm » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:55 pm

I don't have a screenshot of them, but their battle loading art is here. They look similar to that in battle.

Ludovsky

Post by Ludovsky » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:26 am

Interesting. I always was curious what they looked like. The only units involving them were their mothership and battleriders, right?

nickersonm

Post by nickersonm » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:15 am

Yeah; an asteroid converted to a ramscoop vessel, and battleriders.

Ludovsky

Post by Ludovsky » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:10 am

I didn't realize that was an asteroid, uh.

Out of curiosity.... which races in SOTS Prime could uses Ram Scoops? Or was it like SOTS2 where only Hivers could amongst the playable races?

silvaril
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by silvaril » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:31 am

Heya

Ludovsky wrote:Out of curiosity.... which races in SOTS Prime could uses Ram Scoops? Or was it like SOTS2 where only Hivers could amongst the playable races?

Ram Scoops only make sense at Sublight speeds, hence only the Hiver.

Everyone else figures to be going FTL.
Of course, like most plans...
silvaril wrote:Love is Love, God is God and I am still Living a Lifetime

Disclaimer:
The views of any individual may not necessarily represent those of "God"(tm)

Ludovsky

Post by Ludovsky » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:14 pm

It actually makes me wonder if the refugees actually had any FTL.

Once, the mention of their use of ramscoop and so on made me wonder if they could be related to Hivers.
After all, Hivers lore note that in their past, they sent many colonization mission attempts, though without much success. However, it was mentionned that some colonies might have survived the attempt nonetheless, independent from the rest of the Hivers race(possibly enough for their own princesses to actually become Queens, as Black Obsidian once did with her own exile when invading Earth).

At the same time, there has been mention that Hivers have no issues with the modification of their own bodies. To the point that they might be at a risk of modifying themselves so much that they could hardly be reffered to as part of the same species anymore. The specific example noted was how, if it was easier to make a vaccuum-proof Hiver than a spacesuit designed to fit hivers, they almost always would go for a Vaccuum-proof Hiver.

All these elements made me wonders if the Refugees might not be actually related to the Hivers empire, the survivors of one of their "failed" colonization attempts before the time of Gate technology who, perhaps because they had landed on a planet unfit for proper colonization((or were unable to find a planet at all) would have instead taken to a life fully spent amongst the stars(the vaccum proof example), possibly reconverting some asteroid into a spaceship-colony for their use on a continued exodus to house their civilian population. And if their "princess" was isolated long enough to become a "queen" of their own, it might explain why they never stay anywhere long(even when offered a planet, as they were in Lore) to avoid the chance of being found out by Hivers... potentially due to tales of their own about the age of multiple Queens.

Or maybe they are refugees because of a conflict of their own amongst their own race, because of multiple Queens. Or I might be utterly lost and utterly wrong in my speculations ^^;

Return to “The Ships”