Do you name your ships?

Discuss ships, sections, and designs.
TrashMan

Re: Do you name your ships?

Post by TrashMan » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:33 am

I actually name my Flagship "Pride of Terra".
Very WH40k-ish, altough not intentionally.

Hmm...

"Exterminatus"
"Might of the Emperor"
"Fist of the Emperor"?
halo07guy wrote: Praise be to Trashman! All will revel in his holy modding skillz!
And I say onto you: Blessed are those who play my mods - for they are good!

Halftroll

Post by Halftroll » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:31 am

CPTPromotable wrote:I like Boundless Arrogance as a flag name. ive been toying with more from my abortive battlefleet gothic days. Spite as well, or Reckless Vengeance. in my next human game im playing with all DN CNCs to be individually named and be the focus of the fleet, each fleet named after each DN CNC

for regular ships i tend to dip into crusade-esque or religious iconography, depending on race(i play black templars and witch/demonhunters in 40k, so it bleeds ovoer).

some halo ships ae too cool to pass up on occasion. pillar of autumn. come on seriously? who didnt think that was awesome.

Oh yea :thumbsup:

I also name my Drone carriers when human after US Carrier names. Lexington, Saratoga, Enterprise, Hornet, etc....ahh the old names are the best. You shouldnt name a ship after politicians what an insult :evil:

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:46 pm

your wisest post evar :thumbsup:

DervMan

Post by DervMan » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:55 pm

Yeah that's right.

Computers should be named after politicians.

At first, they're great. A change, a breath of fresh air.

Then you get used to how it works, how it runs, any quirks.

Over time it gets slower, more bloated.

Eventually, it upsets you and you can't wait to replace it.

Repeat. ;)

I used to call all of our servers after senior politicians...

Coyote27

Post by Coyote27 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:13 am

"Grand Imperial Thingamajig" sounds like a good flagship name to me.
"In the absence of any orders, go find something and kill it." -Erwin Rommel

Halftroll

Post by Halftroll » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:20 am

Mecron wrote:your wisest post evar :thumbsup:

Does his heroic pose :wink:

Monkeyking

Post by Monkeyking » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:51 am

Halftroll wrote:
CPTPromotable wrote:I like Boundless Arrogance as a flag name. ive been toying with more from my abortive battlefleet gothic days. Spite as well, or Reckless Vengeance. in my next human game im playing with all DN CNCs to be individually named and be the focus of the fleet, each fleet named after each DN CNC

for regular ships i tend to dip into crusade-esque or religious iconography, depending on race(i play black templars and witch/demonhunters in 40k, so it bleeds ovoer).

some halo ships ae too cool to pass up on occasion. pillar of autumn. come on seriously? who didnt think that was awesome.

I also name my Drone carriers when human after US Carrier names. Lexington, Saratoga, Enterprise, Hornet, etc....ahh the old names are the best. You shouldnt name a ship after politicians what an insult :evil:

Now now there are ships that are suited to be name after politicians. I find naming my propaganda ships after politicians extremely fitting. They both constantly spew out rhetoric.
"And I say that selling you soul to the devil is only done by the stupid. Why sell your soul for temporarily pleasure ,and eternal servitude where it be far easier to rent it." Charles John Heredia

BeefotronX

Post by BeefotronX » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:57 pm

I like to give diplomatic names to mine.

So destroyers get names like

Negotiations
Warnings
Pressure
Sternly Worded Rebuke
Possible Sanctions

Cruisers get somewhat stronger names like

Sanctions
Arms Inspection
Consequences

Dreadnoughts pull out the big guns then:

Serious Consequences
Dire Repercussions
Drastic Measures

fiendishrabbit

Post by fiendishrabbit » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:31 pm

Halftroll wrote:I also name my Drone carriers when human after US Carrier names. Lexington, Saratoga, Enterprise, Hornet, etc....ahh the old names are the best. You shouldnt name a ship after politicians what an insult :evil:

Well, there are politicians whose names I wouldn't consider insulting.
Of course all of them had the quality "Great Statesman" as well.

George Washington, Otto von Bismarck, Cyrus II, Victor Emmanuel, Charles de Gaulle.
You can't trust the Liir. Never trust someone that smiles all the time.

Meh

Post by Meh » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:46 am

Halftroll wrote:

I have to disagree with you, but in only one case: the 'Iron Duke', after the duke of wellington, who was a politician. admittadly he was also one of the best generals of the age and the only one not defeated by boneparte before that but still!

TriNova

Post by TriNova » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:26 am

I admit that I'm a sucker for ballistics weapons, even when I have access to better weapons. There is just something so visceral and personal about them. As a side-effect of this, I tend to design ships pretty similar to those of Stargate, BSG, Halo, and Mass Effect.

For example, one of my favorite designs for a Human DN is an Assualt/Drone DN loaded down with Missiles in broadside mounts and APMD/APHD in the rest. The drones are usually a 2:1 mixture of swarm drones to heavy drones, where the heavy drones have rockets and are "bombers" and the swarm drones have 1 Pulse Phaser and 1 interceptor missile and are "fighters". I name such a setup the BC-304 class.

Bhordin

Post by Bhordin » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:11 am

I normally don't name ships anything special. Couldn't resist in my current Liir game. Named the flagship Conclusive Result.

The Magus
Doomsayer

Post by The Magus » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:55 pm

Bhordin wrote:I normally don't name ships anything special. Couldn't resist in my current Liir game. Named the flagship Conclusive Result.

Heh. Nice ;)
The teacher cut in smoothly, "Yes, of course. SolForce never fails to remind us how necessary they are to our...'survival'. ... It amazes me that the human race ever managed to exist, before you lot came along."

Cai Rui smiled thinly. "What amazes me is how quickly the human race could cease to exist, if we were gone."

--The Deacon's Tale

C. Torannan

Post by C. Torannan » Sun May 30, 2010 7:08 am

I generally give my ships thematic names based on their role, armament and what race i'm playing. Here are some of the ones I use when playing as Humans.
CRs:
Deep Scan/Refinery - "Explorator"
Standard Command/Repair and Salvage - "Hospitlar" or "Pheonix"
Stanard Command/Biome Colonizer - "Manifest Destiny"
Battle Bridge/Blazer - Either "Longsword", "Gladius" or "Templar"
Assault/Strikeforce Command - "Warmaster", "Centurian" or "Knight Templar"

DNs:
ECW/Support - "Succor" or "Heart of the Queen"
Battle Bridge/Flagship Command - "Tora'Ka Ascendant"
Assault/Barrage - "Nightsword" or "Might of the Warrior"
Battle Bridge/Blazer - "Excalibur", "Blade of the Knight" or "Gungnir"
Assault/Armada Command - "Crown of the King"
I'm not Evil, I'm just Chaotic/Neutral.

C. Torannan

Post by C. Torannan » Sun May 30, 2010 7:11 am

BeefotronX wrote:I like to give diplomatic names to mine.

So destroyers get names like

Negotiations
Warnings
Pressure
Sternly Worded Rebuke
Possible Sanctions

Cruisers get somewhat stronger names like

Sanctions
Arms Inspection
Consequences

Dreadnoughts pull out the big guns then:

Serious Consequences
Dire Repercussions
Drastic Measures
oooh, those are some nice ones, i might use one or two of those for my more one off ships
I'm not Evil, I'm just Chaotic/Neutral.

Return to “The Ships”