Assigning Freighters to Sectors

Discuss ships, sections, and designs.
Sentenza

Assigning Freighters to Sectors

Post by Sentenza » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:42 am

Sector A is well established, doesn't need more ships, but Sectors B-G are all in dire need of cruisers, and construction is slow.

(playing as Hiver) Is there a simpler way than building them at A, going to trade, selecting them manually, splitting off a new fleet, moving them to a nearby planet within A, waiting a turn, to finally use the gate network to move them to sector B?

That's a truckload of clicks, also, how do other races handle this, with the transit time and all?

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Re: Assigning Freighters to Sectors

Post by ZedF » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:39 am

You can chain together movement orders (IIRC by using shift-click) so you don't have to wait, you just issue a combination move order to a planet and then to the sector you want them to be in. Otherwise, that's pretty much the process, and without the turn wait in-between I don't find it incredibly micro-heavy providing you do it in reasonably large batches of freighters so you aren't doing it too often. Other races do it the same way; this works out better for some than for others.

What I find, though, is that early on money tends to be more of a limiting factor than production, whereas later on production is more limiting than money. If I concentrate on building freighters in production-poor sectors when money is tight, then when money is more easily come by the production-rich sectors can catch up more easily while the production-poor sectors have already got a good head start going. In this way I minimize the amount of freighters I need to move between sectors.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Sentenza

Re: Assigning Freighters to Sectors

Post by Sentenza » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:40 pm

It's control click, and it sure is handy, you're totally right, if I can do it once and then forget about it, it's no problem whatsoever, thanks a lot! :)

On a related note: Freighter Upkeep should be filtered out, my upkeep is artifically bloated.

But since I can't read the number anyhow... meh :)

Return to “The Ships”