Ways to increase tactical speed

Discuss ships, sections, and designs.
Maerlyn

Ways to increase tactical speed

Post by Maerlyn » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:00 pm

Hi again,

SOTS2 hasnt yet suceeded in convincing my friends or me to really play it. There are still this weird issues with pathing, escpecially for Zuul and Loa, and the spacestation management seems a bit odd. Why, oh why do we need to do this? And the entire mission thing hasnt yet convinced us either.

So, we are back here playing SOTS 1 again. Still a great game. And here the next question arises, what ways are there to increase tactical speed?

In multiplayer (we only play against each other, playing against an AI seems like playing Solitaire, or managing space stations) tactical speed is of outmost importance. Faster ships can outrun an enemy or catch up if needed, they can destroy a colony by running from the defending fleet, missile kite the opponent etc.

So, what are the ways to essentially increase the tactical speed of a ship? Please dont talk about AM era, our games rarely get there, usually you are dead at that point :hween:.

I'll make a list of the things I know aincrease tactical speed and would really enjoy any further hints.

Pulsed Fission Drive
Hammerhead Section
AI Command Section (hard to get)
Fusion
Ionic Thrusters (the Wiki says it does, is this confirmed?)

Thats as far as I can tell. Is there anything else that I m missing?

What do you do if you cant keep up with your enemy and he keeps annoying you with hit and run tactics?

Nspace
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Re: Ways to increase tactical speed

Post by Nspace » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:34 pm

Pay attention to the turn speed and the tactical speed for each ship section, as some sections increase tactical speed while others decrease it. For example, compare the Armor mission section (+10 Tac. Speed for all but the Zuul) to the Barrage section (-5 or -10 Tac. Speed).

Maerlyn wrote:What do you do if you cant keep up with your enemy and he keeps annoying you with hit and run tactics?

I mix and match from the following:
1) Make my ships tougher, so every time my enemy "hits" I'm taking less damage than he is.
2) Invest in high alpha damage weapons. If my enemy is only in range for a few moments, lets make each shot really hurt.
3) Invest in long range weapons like missiles, drones or heavy plasma/fusion cannons. My enemy wants to stay at range, so I let them while my long range weapons pick away at them.
4) Develop cloaking and/or jamming. Jamming is a great MP tool anyway, but either one will force the enemy to have to get closer to your ships before they can fire.
5) Go on the offensive. :) If you are attacking his worlds, your enemy will have to either stand and fight or let his worlds be bombed.

Personally, I like option 5 the best. :)
"Quando omni flunkus, mortati" - "When all else fails, play dead"
SotS 1 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots1/Main_Page
SotS 2 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots2/SotS2_Codex

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:47 pm

Maerlyn wrote:Pulsed Fission Drive
Hammerhead Section
AI Command Section (hard to get)
Fusion
Ionic Thrusters (the Wiki says it does, is this confirmed?)

That's as far as I can tell. Is there anything else that I'm missing?

For non-ship speed you could also add small scale fusion and microfusion drives. Additionally, destroyers can use the overthruster mission section. Apart from overthrusters, regular armour sections have the best bonus to speed for mission sections. I'm not sure exactly what effect Ionic Thrusters have in SotS1, so you should probably test it out to see for yourself what it does.

What do you do if you cant keep up with your enemy and he keeps annoying you with hit and run tactics?

I agree with NSpace, if your enemy is focused on kiting he won't be so hot for DPS in a slugging match. Making him defend a fixed point or risk his economy getting trashed is often a good way to discourage/blunt a kiting-based strategy. Don't play his game, make him play yours. :) Of course your own economy will need to be able to support a powerful navy -- preferably more powerful than his -- for this to work well.

In addition to the other items on NSpace's list, shields can also be very helpful for preventing many long-range kiting weapons from being very effective. Most weapons/tactics that are useful to break or avoid shields tend to work best at brawling ranges, or else require a pretty high tech level.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Maerlyn

Post by Maerlyn » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:57 am

Thanx a lot for the replies. I didnt notice that the Armorsection is netting you a speed bonus as well. HH/Armor/Pulsed Fission ships give you a great spedbonus overall, regardless of the race (Liir still sucks though).

Return to “The Ships”