Deep Scan on one vessel good for entire fleet?

Discuss ships, sections, and designs.
Qwestyngbeast

Deep Scan on one vessel good for entire fleet?

Post by Qwestyngbeast » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:06 pm

My searching has not come up with an answer to this specific question. Does a vessel with Deep Scan (DS) benefit the entire fleet as regards increased scan range? To clarify; does each ship in a fleet need its own DS section to get increased scan range, or will one ship in the fleet with DS benefit all ships in the fleet with increased scan range? The focus of my question is to determine if every ship in the fleet with long range weapons needs to have DS in order to get the most from the long range of the weapons, or will one ship pass that ability on to all the ships in the fleet? For example, if I have a Command and Control (CnC) dreadnought (dred) with an Electronic Warfare (EW) section and a swarm of destroyers with Photonic Torpedo launchers, do the destroyers need DS to fire the torps at max range or will the DS capability of the EW dred give the destroyers increased scan benefits?

BlueTemplar

Re: Deep Scan on one vessel good for entire fleet?

Post by BlueTemplar » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:08 pm

Tactical sensors are per-ship :
http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots1/S ... al_Sensors
(Otherwise, it would be weird for such a tech as Integrated Sensors to exist...)

However, advanced sensors (especially DN ones), have a much longer range than even a long-ranged weapon like Photonic Torpedoes. So one Deep Scan section on the battlefield (even a DE one) is often enough.

Also, if you do not have sensor view, you can always order your ships to force fire at a particular spot... but you'll be unlikely to hit anything smaller than a DN that way.

Qwestyngbeast

Post by Qwestyngbeast » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:37 pm

Thank you for your helpful reply BlueTemplar. If I understand you correctly, the technical answer to my question is that yes, the torpedo DE would need their own DS sections, however, as a practical matter they will not need DS sections if Integrated Sensors and Advanced Sensors are researched since they can access the sensor data of the dred and the area scanned by the dred will likely be more than the effective range of their weapons. Have I re-stated that correctly?

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:12 pm

If the DN has an Electronic Warfare section, then yes.
Also, in practice, Photonic Torpedoes have a lower range (2k) than standard ship scan range (3k), so you don't really need Deep Scan.
Though Integrated Sensors and Advanced CnC are highly recommended if you want to micromanage them yourself from the sensors screen!

Qwestyngbeast

Post by Qwestyngbeast » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:46 pm

Thank you again BlueTemplar. This is helpful info. I appreciate you taking time to make these insightful replies.

fredNN

Post by fredNN » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:05 pm

> Deep Scan on one vessel good for entire fleet?
In space (strategic map) yes.
In combat ship with DS section must be there (not in reserve) to scan. Also, CR DS section has longer scan range (~30%) than DE. DN Electronic Warfare has about same range as CR. The best scan has Scanner Station (about all combat area), but is not solution when scanning space (strategic map) for cloaked fleets (yes, I have Tunneling Sensors :!: ). So low chance of detection (for my Hiver) I serious think not building them anymore. :evil:

Deep Scan range in space is affected with Jammer section. A fleet with one Jammer is scanned at half range of Deep Scan. Good trick: use Jammer when attacking slow-moving race. :twisted:

Deep Scan in combat does not work ~500 distance around ship with Jammer section. To attack ships hidden with Jammer, you need a ship or Drone close to "see" them. If that ship or Drone is destroyed, all missiles and Torpedos lose lock on ships hidden with Jammer. Good trick: use Jammer when attacking race with good long-range weapons.

Return to “The Ships”