Kaiju-A-Gogo Kickstarter page is live - game details abound

Sometimes, in order to rule the world, you have to break a few cities!

Moderator: Erinys

Slashman

Re: Kaiju-A-Gogo Kickstarter page is live - game details abo

Post by Slashman » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:34 am

usermist2 wrote:The art style of Kaiju reminds me of the SNES, which had some of my favorite game of all time DESPITE its limited graphics capability. Sure, pretty sells. But how many games have pretty art but awful gameplay? Quite a few, since designers know they can push the "oooh, pretty *drool*" button and people will buy it. Kerberos can't, won't, and hasn't done that at any point in their history of making games. (Yes, even BEFORE SotS1.) Therefore pushing my nostalgia buttons (and the ones of quite a few other people) is probably a wise move on Kerberos's part, especially since they can focus on actually making a fun game to play instead of one that just "looks pretty." You don't want to play it because it doesn't use gigabytes of graphics? That's fine, because there's a dozen more who love the art style Kerberos has gone with. You won't be missed.

I find it highly interesting that apparently no middle ground exists between Cryengine 3 level of graphics (gigabytes of graphics?) and Retro 2D graphics.

Also, could you stop assuming what people want to play and why? :roll:
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:51 am

Usermist2 isn't complaining about the graphics or (I think) making assumptions. That wa Ashbery76.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

usermist2

Post by usermist2 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:47 pm

Yes, I was just saying that I like the retro graphics. I did make an assumption that there were several other people that also liked the nostalgia factor, since they've said so, in this forum. So, one complainy-pants vs several :D = not all games need to make your computer explode with graphics to be fun or good, which is the point I was making.

Things Go Better With C2H5OH.

Ludovsky

Post by Ludovsky » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:26 pm

usermist2 wrote:Yes, I was just saying that I like the retro graphics. I did make an assumption that there were several other people that also liked the nostalgia factor, since they've said so, in this forum. So, one complainy-pants vs several :D = not all games need to make your computer explode with graphics to be fun or good, which is the point I was making.

To be fair, talking about the "limited" graphics of the SNES games.... looking back at some like A Link to the Past, a couple of these titles have aged -very- nicely in my opinion.

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:28 pm

ZedF wrote:Usermist2 isn't complaining about the graphics or (I think) making assumptions. That wa Ashbery76.

Ashberry76 was complaining that making the game for mobile platforms as well as PC compromised the PC experience as a whole. He didn't mention graphics specifically. He said that it limited the design of the game. I don't see him mentioning graphics.

usermist2 wrote:Yes, I was just saying that I like the retro graphics. I did make an assumption that there were several other people that also liked the nostalgia factor, since they've said so, in this forum. So, one complainy-pants vs several :D = not all games need to make your computer explode with graphics to be fun or good, which is the point I was making.

Nowhere have I argued that there are not people who like the 2D retro look. I'm not speaking for everyone.

It is however, my personal opinion, that the 2D retro game experience is somewhat limiting. I'm not saying I don't or won't play those games. If that were so I would not own Braid, Terraria, Aquaria, Osmos, Jamestown and a bunch of other retro 2D titles that currently hold a place in my Steam library.

It is also my personal opinion that the gaming market isn't lacking in that regard. You can't scroll through a Greenlight batch of games these days without seeing several titles like that. There seems to be somewhat of a glut of these types of games.

For me, if I'm going to destroy a city, I would prefer it to be in a 3d engine for a number of reasons including camera freedom, real physics so that destructible objects can have a greater impact on the environment, better and more varied animations, better visuals for effects(explosions lasers etc.) and I could go on. That's just me.

I realize that its harder and more expensive to make a game like that and I'm not asking Kerberos to do it if their budget cannot handle it. I'm also not saying that I'm not going to buy it if it turns out to be interesting enough to catch my attention.
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:04 am

I enjoy fancier 3D art and 2D art as well as well-done retro graphics. And I think there is room in the world for both. I feel the same way about titles for PC and for other platforms. And I respect that other people have more limited tastes or stronger preferences in one direction or another.

As creators, we can't afford to limit what we do and what we are ABLE to do. Instead we have to accept that not everyone can love every game equally and just hope that if one game doesn't please a certain person, that the next game might work for them instead.

Ultimately what we are dealing with is the same problem that musicians deal with, if they have a long career: not every fan will be able to enjoy every album or song you choose to write and perform. A lot of us at Kerberos have been working as developers now for 15+ years. For a lot of that time we've been working together, on a variety of different projects in many different styles and genres. The games we've done and attempted over the course of a career are like the albums and songs of a musician over a career.

Some people only like the prog rock operas, games like Homeworld, and are waiting for another album like that. Other people are digging our current catchy little pop song phase and are humming along, even while they catch the hints that there's a bigger picture below the surface of a game like The Pit. Other people are heavily into that one classic album we did that no one fully appreciated when it came out, but which has been on heavy rotation on college radio stations ever since.

*shrug*

S'all good. Thank you for liking and caring about any game we've made, basically, even if you don't like EVERY game we've made.

And thank you supporting us in what we do to whatever degree that you can. It is appreciated. :)

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

Ludovsky

Post by Ludovsky » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:14 am

Erinys wrote:I enjoy fancier 3D art and 2D art as well as well-done retro graphics. And I think there is room in the world for both. I feel the same way about titles for PC and for other platforms. And I respect that other people have more limited tastes or stronger preferences in one direction or another.

As creators, we can't afford to limit what we do and what we are ABLE to do. Instead we have to accept that not everyone can love every game equally and just hope that if one game doesn't please a certain person, that the next game might work for them instead.

Ultimately what we are dealing with is the same problem that musicians deal with, if they have a long career: not every fan will be able to enjoy every album or song you choose to write and perform. A lot of us at Kerberos have been working as developers now for 15+ years. For a lot of that time we've been working together, on a variety of different projects in many different styles and genres. The games we've done and attempted over the course of a career are like the albums and songs of a musician over a career.

Some people only like the prog rock operas, games like Homeworld, and are waiting for another album like that. Other people are digging our current catchy little pop song phase and are humming along, even while they catch the hints that there's a bigger picture below the surface of a game like The Pit. Other people are heavily into that one classic album we did that no one fully appreciated when it came out, but which has been on heavy rotation on college radio stations ever since.

*shrug*

S'all good. Thank you for liking and caring about any game we've made, basically, even if you don't like EVERY game we've made.

And thank you supporting us in what we do to whatever degree that you can. It is appreciated. :)

--Arinn

Is there a "fav/like this post" option somewhere on these forums? Because if there was/were, I'd totally do that.

zanzibar196
Note: Not A Moderator

Post by zanzibar196 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:33 pm

So... the indigogo campaign got about the same amount of cash as the kickstarter, yet it has about half the funders backing it. I really think this is due to the lifetime Kaiju perk, and hopefully Kerberos has learned from this for it's next kickstarter! I'd really like them to get the cash they ask for the first time! :)

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:10 am

The Subscription was a good idea. We will definitely try to offer something similar in the future, if a game will have many planned DLC's.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

Return to “General-Discussion-A-GoGo”