Kaiju-A-Gogo Kickstarter page is live - game details abound

Sometimes, in order to rule the world, you have to break a few cities!

Moderator: Erinys

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Re: Kaiju-A-Gogo Kickstarter page is live - game details abo

Post by Erinys » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:41 am

Slashman wrote:I think I just want to feel like supporting you guys now is actually leading toward you releasing something I can get excited about and use that enthusiasm in getting other people interested. Right now, none of my gamer friends are interested in The Pit, GP or Kaiju.

Hopefully whatever comes after Kaiju is something I (and a lot of other people) will be pumped about.

Oki doki. :) I can certainly appreciate your interest in our future plans. When we come up with something that interests you, we'll look forward to your enthusiastic support.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

zanzibar196
Note: Not A Moderator

Post by zanzibar196 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:15 pm

So, what's next for this awesome game? Can we expect an indigogo campaign?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

feld
Cassandra

Post by feld » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:26 am

Dear Kerberites,

Regret that the Kickstarter did not achieve its final goal and also that I did not have sufficient funds to cover the difference between our pledges and the goal.

I am VERY pleased with both the Pit and Ground Pounders. I believe there is a tiny chance that perhaps I was not as entirely enthused with those games when you announced them as I was about SotS 2. Small chance. Little. Hardly even mentionable, really. But still if I had not had enthusiasm (which of course is laughable) AND ESPECIALLY if I might have pined publically for more (financially suicidal) work on SotS, I'd have been proved COMPLETELY wrong by the games themselves in retrospect. But of course I was not at all surprised. Because only a crow eating cad would not have recognized the value of the Pit and GP beforehand...

...have I ever mentioned how much I HATE the taste of Morrigi? Even plasma fried? Darned Crows...

Anyway. I remain pumped for Kaiju-A-Go-Go. Cut my teeth on Crush, Crumble and Chomp and the Movie Monster Game. Kaiju looks like a blast. Definitely saving play money if you decide to fund that title another way.

v/r
feld

Ashbery76

Post by Ashbery76 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:01 pm

Do you really make the cash for phone games to justify limiting the design for pc gamers? I think this would have reached the target if it was a fully PC game.

zanzibar196
Note: Not A Moderator

Post by zanzibar196 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:15 pm

Ashbery76 wrote:Do you really make the cash for phone games to justify limiting the design for pc gamers? I think this would have reached the target if it was a fully PC game.

What do you mean? Unlike many mobile app developers, Kerberos doesn't do in-app purchases. It's the same as the PC version.... No clue how having the same game on multiple platforms hurts... Can you elaborate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:05 pm

Ash your sentence doesn't really make a lot of sense...could you clarify?

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:58 pm

Ashbery76 wrote:Do you really make the cash for phone games to justify limiting the design for pc gamers? I think this would have reached the target if it was a fully PC game.

The game isn't crippled to make it work on any of the platforms. They design the game and then make adjustments for platforms based on control schemes and pricing models(for mobile markets).

Maybe you're saying that announcing the game for mobile at the same time hurts the Kickstarter campaign? I have no idea. some PC gamers really hate the idea of sharing games cross platform. I don't personally. If the game is good, then the game is good. If it's bad, then it's bad on any platform.

What I would like to see is Kerberos digging back into meatier 4x stuff. But I suspect it will be a long while until that happens again.
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

Ashbery76

Post by Ashbery76 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:07 pm

Slashman wrote:

The game isn't crippled to make it work on any of the platforms. They design the game and then make adjustments for platforms based on control schemes and pricing models(for mobile markets).

Maybe you're saying that announcing the game for mobile at the same time hurts the Kickstarter campaign? I have no idea. some PC gamers really hate the idea of sharing games cross platform. I don't personally. If the game is good, then the game is good. If it's bad, then it's bad on any platform.

What I would like to see is Kerberos digging back into meatier 4x stuff. But I suspect it will be a long while until that happens again.

The design has to cater for the mobiles limited power and console style UI.The best kickstarters are PC only as the master race generally does not like mobile cross games.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:06 pm

People used to make limited observations about non-white folks...didn't make them right. That argument is a straw man because it ignores reality. As if every PC only project magically creates the look and feel of Assassins Creed. It doesn't. And the job of a designer is to make a game experience that fits both production and the needs of the game itself.

ScoSteSal118

Post by ScoSteSal118 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:41 pm

I mean, it's a goofy style of game, it doesn't need (and the developer can't afford to produce) highly detailed and sophisticated graphics...

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:15 pm

600 people on staff wouldn't make the game any more fun to play...just bloat the art footprint ;)

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:18 pm

I think the argument tends to be less about art style and more about control schemes.

For instance, in Diablo 1 and Diablo 2, you had a large number of abilities available, you brought all the ones you'd trained in every fight, and while you tended to rely mostly on a handful of them, many of them could be situationally useful. This was the case in part because the game was designed to be played using a mouse and keyboard, so you had a lot of keys that could be used to invoke abilities. In Diablo 3, although the game was designed for PC first, the number of abilities available at once was reduced to a half-dozen, in order to fit within the scope of what would be possible with a console controller and make a future console port easier. This irritated a lot of fans of the franchise who had liked having access to all those abilities in previous games -- it was a tradeoff they felt constrained their gameplay space in order to attempt to reach another market.

In the case of Kaiju-a-gogo, this is a new franchise. We don't know what tradeoffs Kerberos might be making. Would we have Kaiju with a dozen abilities being brought to the table at once if this were a PC-only game? Maybe... maybe not. We have no way of knowing. Anyone who makes a decision this early in development that Kaiju-a-gogo will not be worth their investment purely on the basis of the fact that it's not PC-exclusive is just being blindly prejudicial. There's no way an art designer can please that kind of customer and remain true to their own vision, so there's no sense in trying.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:19 am

Mecron wrote:600 people on staff wouldn't make the game any more fun to play...just bloat the art footprint ;)

I agree in principle, but many people judge games based on screenshots and first looks as to if they are interested in trying them.

I can't honestly say that I'd have been as attracted to try SotS 2 if the screenshots had shown dated looking graphics. Even while playing now, I still marvel at the look and design of all the different races' ships and weapons.

So while fancier graphics may not change the gameplay in any way, I don't agree that they do not greatly enhance the appeal and overall attractiveness of a game. I mean, if it were not so, nVidia and ATI would be out of business selling graphics cards and we'd all be playing games with the visual fidelity of the Atari 2600.
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:00 am

I wasn't asking anyone to agree ;)

usermist2

Post by usermist2 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:52 am

The art style of Kaiju reminds me of the SNES, which had some of my favorite game of all time DESPITE its limited graphics capability. Sure, pretty sells. But how many games have pretty art but awful gameplay? Quite a few, since designers know they can push the "oooh, pretty *drool*" button and people will buy it. Kerberos can't, won't, and hasn't done that at any point in their history of making games. (Yes, even BEFORE SotS1.) Therefore pushing my nostalgia buttons (and the ones of quite a few other people) is probably a wise move on Kerberos's part, especially since they can focus on actually making a fun game to play instead of one that just "looks pretty." You don't want to play it because it doesn't use gigabytes of graphics? That's fine, because there's a dozen more who love the art style Kerberos has gone with. You won't be missed.

Things Go Better With C2H5OH.

Return to “General-Discussion-A-GoGo”