Kaiju-A-Gogo Kickstarter page is live - game details abound

Sometimes, in order to rule the world, you have to break a few cities!

Moderator: Erinys

Mecron
Kerberos

Re: Kaiju-A-Gogo Kickstarter page is live - game details abo

Post by Mecron » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:35 pm

actually we have received more support from non "hardcore" fans than ever before in terms of numbers of supporters

ScoSteSal118

Post by ScoSteSal118 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:30 pm

Hopefully a promising trend- looks likely to be a repeat of the last try (awesome Kickstarter, doesn't get enough, scaled back Indiegogo gets a game out) but with more reach to new fans that could lead to this pattern not lasting forever.

zanzibar196
Note: Not A Moderator

Kaiju-A-Gogo Kickstarter page is live - game details abound

Post by zanzibar196 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:01 am

I know as a hard core Kerberos fan, I am far more excited about kaiju than I was about ground pounders...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:33 am

I can't say I'm all that excited for any of the titles honestly.

I'm basically here for the SoTS 2 and games of similar scope and visuals.

I have, however, bought each of them and will likely do so for Kaiju as well. It's likely that most hardcore fans won't be all that interested in small, 2d indie games. It's not like there is a shortage of them right now. I'd say that the market is starting to lean heavily in the other direction.

The Pit, Ground Pounders and Kaiju are kind of aimed at a different audience. That's perfectly fine IMO. I'm just not that audience.

I was kind of hoping that Ground Pounders would be the last of the small 2d projects before we got something meatier, but I guess not.
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

FireStorm20

Post by FireStorm20 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:39 am

Slashman wrote:I can't say I'm all that excited for any of the titles honestly.

I'm basically here for the SoTS 2 and games of similar scope and visuals.

I have, however, bought each of them and will likely do so for Kaiju as well. It's likely that most hardcore fans won't be all that interested in small, 2d indie games. It's not like there is a shortage of them right now. I'd say that the market is starting to lean heavily in the other direction.

The Pit, Ground Pounders and Kaiju are kind of aimed at a different audience. That's perfectly fine IMO. I'm just not that audience.

I was kind of hoping that Ground Pounders would be the last of the small 2d projects before we got something meatier, but I guess not.

I feel a bit like you , and felt alot with the pit games , but actually in Kaiju im really interested, somehow i had a few times phantasises about similar games, giant robots that you can develop and upgrade, while fighting over world domination. I guess i should talk about it to a psychoanalyst:).
Faded steel heat

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:45 pm

FireStorm20 wrote:I feel a bit like you , and felt alot with the pit games , but actually in Kaiju im really interested, somehow i had a few times phantasises about similar games, giant robots that you can develop and upgrade, while fighting over world domination. I guess i should talk about it to a psychoanalyst:).

The concept is fine. I just haven't been grabbed by the visuals. When I think of smashing cities and decimating military resistance, I'm thinking of doing it in fully destructible 3d terrain so I can zoom in close and see civilians running and panicking. The 2d art style is just...meh to me on this one. I don't think it truly does the concept the justice it could. I just kinda see missed opportunity.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:12 pm

A kaiju destruction game with the budget and visuals of a real Godzilla movie sounds appealing, but at the end of the day it sounds like an FPS concept?

KAG is a strategy game--you're actually controlling the kaiju to achieve a goal, growing and developing it. :) As well as smashing cities to rubble. ;p

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:32 pm

Erinys wrote:A kaiju destruction game with the budget and visuals of a real Godzilla movie sounds appealing, but at the end of the day it sounds like an FPS concept?

KAG is a strategy game--you're actually controlling the kaiju to achieve a goal, growing and developing it. :) As well as smashing cities to rubble. ;p

--Arinn

Well if you think something like this is the budget and visuals of a Godzilla game, then maybe. Doesn't look like it to me though.

Strategy or not, there is something to be said for bringing your world to life with good visuals. Battle Worlds Kronos is somewhat comparable to Ground Pounders and also has more than decent visuals. Also done on a crowdfunding budget.

It doesn't have to look like Witcher 3 or Wargame: Airland Battle, but awesome explosions, buildings crumbling to rubble with a bit of physics, nicely rendered units. I'm much more excited for games that have depth AND nice visuals and animations.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:40 pm

Okay, Slash. You're making a valid point about what you like in a game, and the fact that other developers are making the games that you want to see is great.

Exactly what response would you like from us when you post these things? What should we think and feel in response to this message?

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

BellaStrega

Post by BellaStrega » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:03 am

I like the Kerberos aesthetic.

I mean, I'm not just saying that. Not everything needs to be 3d or more realistic. It's okay if stuff looks cartoonish.

I loved the art in SotS, though.

And really all I care about is having a kaiju smash things.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:14 am

Almost 600 supporters! wahoo! ;)

CrystalDragonSora

Post by CrystalDragonSora » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:28 am

I can understand the desire for epic 3D visuals (I go nuts over awesome-looking games like SotS II, FFXIV, hell I find Metroid Prime's visuals impressive despite the trilogy's age, among other games; all visually appealing in their own ways), but I've always had a soft spot in my heart for 2D visuals, and, for some reason, can never get enough of games like that. There's certainly an audience for both visual styles (for lack of a better term), and that's great.

While a 3D Kaiju-A-GoGo game sounds nice, I'm still happy with this 2D one. *shrugs* Then again I just want to smash stuff with Kaiju (coughginormasauruscough) so maybe I'm not the best person to be commenting here.

It's okay to have a different opinion! Just throwing in mine because...I felt like it.
The Crystal Dragon has a blog and Twitter!
We are...seven swords in unison.

The sun was born, and so it shall die, so only shadows comfort me. I know in darkness, I will find you, giving up inside like me... Each day shall end as it begins, and though you're far away from me... I know in darkness, I will find you, giving up inside like me...

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:10 am

Erinys wrote:Okay, Slash. You're making a valid point about what you like in a game, and the fact that other developers are making the games that you want to see is great.

Exactly what response would you like from us when you post these things? What should we think and feel in response to this message?

--Arinn

Well originally I was posting in response to the fact that more 'non-hardcore' fans were supporting Kaiju and the other projects. It could just be that they aren't really that taken with the new games.

I guess I'm hoping to hear that somewhere around the corner is something completely awesome from you guys that's a step up from what we got with The Pit or GP. Perhaps I'm being too hopeful or it's too soon.

I think I just want to feel like supporting you guys now is actually leading toward you releasing something I can get excited about and use that enthusiasm in getting other people interested. Right now, none of my gamer friends are interested in The Pit, GP or Kaiju.

Hopefully whatever comes after Kaiju is something I (and a lot of other people) will be pumped about.

BellaStrega

Post by BellaStrega » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:11 am

The Pit is completely awesome.

Nspace
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Nspace » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:35 am

BellaStrega wrote:The Pit is completely awesome.

QFT :!:

As I've said before, I was never really into roguelikes and wasn't too sure about The Pit initially. But I trust the folks at Kerberos to make fun and interesting games and that trust was rewarded with a game that I can pick up, lose a few hours to while having a bunch of fun, then put back down knowing that I'll be back again to play some more. Ground Pounders is the same way and I expect that Kaiju-a-GoGo will be as well.

Now lets get Kaiju-a-GoGo funded! :)
"Quando omni flunkus, mortati" - "When all else fails, play dead"
SotS 1 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots1/Main_Page
SotS 2 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots2/SotS2_Codex

Return to “General-Discussion-A-GoGo”