We Are Not Invincible

Sometimes, in order to rule the world, you have to break a few cities!

Moderator: Erinys

Ciurrioc

Re: We Are Not Invincible

Post by Ciurrioc » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:25 am

Korgan wrote: yet something like a $10 goal kickstarter for potato salad is at 65k and climbing after 6 days :P
I'm sure many of us here wish we could do more to help you.

Like I don't even understand seriously
Has seen the Cover of the fabled Mecronomicon

"Who's hands shape what is"

Been around since 07...forum ate my account...rip 8/3/13

CrystalDragonSora

Post by CrystalDragonSora » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:09 am

I'm honestly not sure whether to laugh, scream, cry, or all three at the potato salad Kickstarter.

Just...wow.
The Crystal Dragon has a blog and Twitter!
We are...seven swords in unison.

The sun was born, and so it shall die, so only shadows comfort me. I know in darkness, I will find you, giving up inside like me... Each day shall end as it begins, and though you're far away from me... I know in darkness, I will find you, giving up inside like me...

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:47 pm

Look if icejjfish can generate 25 million views and make a living off youtube, why are we surprised that a guy who wants to make potato salad can do this on kickstarter?

Most of the successful game kickstarters are related to making sequels or spiritual successors of games people enjoyed in the past. The key for many kickstarter campaigns seems to be having something that people deeply and instantly identify with or being a developer with a certain level of renown. There are exceptions of course. But looking at the more successful campaigns, you kind of see a pattern:

Wasteland 2, Planetary Annihilation, Pillars of Eternity, Grim Dawn, Divinity: Original Sin, Limit Theory, Shadowrun Returns.

Anyway, crowd funding is always iffy, but so far it's either blow them away with some awesome visuals, appeal to their nostalgia or make your pitch sound so awesome that they build their dream game in their heads better than you ever could and they think that's what they're getting.
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:08 pm

I think I will start a kickstarter to raise funds to get a guy to travel the country and punch every person who contributed to the salad project once it passed 100$

fibio

Post by fibio » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:34 pm

The terifying thing is that that would probably raise a lot of money :shock:
Buy my book - Six Seconds of Moonlight on the kindle store.

Anyone can be a god beneath the moonlight, but who can be a hero?

The Apprentice

Post by The Apprentice » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:59 pm

On topic, I'm really glad Arinn was able to write the piece in the first place (I can't imagine it was easy), and gladder that it generated such a positive response.

It just crossed 110% funding! Who-hooo!
Feel free to call me App- it's shorter.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:13 pm

go team, go!

FireStorm20

Post by FireStorm20 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:41 am

Insane stuff about that salad funding lol.

On other hand plenty of really interesting projects with well made demos cant get anykind of money. I was really interested in contact vector https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/18 ... -rts/posts , but it didnt reach even 1/4 of its goal...

With videos liek this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUjrJ3OlGB0 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SayBcE7To7w#t=232.

Maybe that salad funding person had ton of friends or is a mafia boss lol. Honestly its beyond my understanding.
Faded steel heat

Cpt. Awesome

Post by Cpt. Awesome » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:59 pm

Mecron wrote:I think I will start a kickstarter to raise funds to get a guy to travel the country and punch every person who contributed to the salad project once it passed 100$

Thats really meta...like trying to punch human nature. People be silly and hop on the silly bandwagon all the time.

Seriously though I was hoping we were done with these "salad" kickstarters with random people just asking for money :(

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:59 pm

Since they changed the Kickstarter rules, Kickstarter does have the potential to become a giant legal money-laundering operation. This could explain some of the future "campaigns" you might see, where a great deal of money is raised for a seemingly meaningless or stupid cause. There are many ways to raise money in this world that AREN'T legal.

In this case, I do think the campaign is supported largely out of mean-spirited humor. Times are hard and there are a lot of creators, entrepreneurs, inventors and charities who try to use crowdfunding to support themselves. The Potato Salad campaign is a deliberate slap in the face to them.

It's also an intentional attempt to discredit and satirize crowdfunding in general. I think there is a VERY good reason that corporate media sources are so eager and willing to continually plug and popularize campaigns like this, and make sure as many people jump on the bandwagon as possible--while a lot of real and worthy projects get no attention at all from them.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

Space Voyager

Post by Space Voyager » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:59 am

I can't view this potato salad as a conspiracy. Anything is possible, naturally
.. I see it more as an idea ridicolous enough to get people to contribute for fun. That this fun is weird is true though. There are a lot of better ways to spend tze money, yet it is their to be wasted. Just as I can't support animals receiving treatments worth millions while people are dieing in the streets. Can't do much about it.
ErinysSolForce Intelligence has great difficulty penetrating Liir society to that depth, for obvious reasons. fibioLack of scuba gear?

Cpt. Awesome

Post by Cpt. Awesome » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:12 pm

I didn't exactly investigate, but I was under the impression that the potato salad campaign was just a non-deliberate slap in the face :S

I think its anyone who supported that campaign when it already reached it's goal was doing the face slapping.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:36 pm

I haven't used the word "conspiracy". But I have pointed out what is simply reality: this campaign has received signal boost from every corporate media outlet in the English-speaking world. Virtually any legitimate campaign would be fully funded with this much press coverage.

I don't need Potato Salad Man getting any more signal boost here, so I'm just going to lock the thread.

Thanks very much to everyone who actually does want us to continue our work. It is appreciated. :)

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

Return to “General-Discussion-A-GoGo”