Bionomicon Character Generation

The Book of the Names of the Living

Moderator: Erinys

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Bionomicon Character Generation

Post by Erinys » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:14 am

I've posted some quick notes for the table-top version of Bionomicon, mainly the section from the core rule book on Character Generation. Includes the basic facts about Character Classes and the stats that the game uses.

The .pdf is available for free on my Patreon page, if anyone interested in this project would like to take a look.

Thanks all for your interest and support. :)

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

Nightshade

Re: Bionomicon Character Generation

Post by Nightshade » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:33 pm

Can I suggest strongly that you provide a non-rolled option for attributes, Arinn? I realize plenty of people are fine with it, but I know quite a few people who won't play a game with random rolls in character generation at all, no matter what else is appealing about the system. If you want to avoid too much minimaxing, put a floor on how low they can set it, but otherwise giving, say, 360 points and letting them distribute them probably produces approximately the same result.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:43 pm

It should be fairly easy to adapt this system to the House Rules of any given GM, or even to swap it over to another system. :)

--Arinn
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

Nightshade

Post by Nightshade » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:48 am

Erinys wrote:It should be fairly easy to adapt this system to the House Rules of any given GM, or even to swap it over to another system. :)

--Arinn

I realize. I just was suggesting that an alternate attribute generation method might save some people being turned off about it right out the gate. Personally, I'd find it interesting just as a reference work, but then I'm quite fond of the setting and a general post-apocalypse nut.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:20 pm

*nods* I tried several different methods this weekend of generating starting attributes for a character. After running it a few times, I've decided I don't like the 5 D20 as much as I'd hoped I would, for a couple of reasons. One, it's a bit time-consuming, and two, it gives you lamentably average Attributes in all categories, which is kinda lame.

I also tried using two d10 once to generate a percentile roll, but the range of values was a bit too extreme.

I think the results I liked best came from rolling 1 D20 and then multiplying it by 5, with ones not allowed. But I agree that setting all stats to 25 and giving people a small pool of Attribute Points to work with is also a viable solution. I may penalize the points added to take you up over 75 in any one category, to encourage more usefully well-rounded characters.

Definitely some pitfalls in translating games from one medium to another! :)

--Arinn

RobAK801
Doomsayer

Post by RobAK801 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:39 am

Keep the basic 5d20 mechanic but maximise 1 or more dice.

Currently 5d20 gives a range of 5-100, with an average score of 52-53
20+4d20 would make the minimum stat 24, with an average score of 62.
If the minimum or average still seems to low for PC characters (they are heroes after all) then a starting score of 40 plus 3d20 could work. A 43-100 range with an average of 71-72 gives a fairly heroic feel to players and mitigates much of the "pathetically average" feel that too wide a range can lead to.

You can drive these numbers even higher if you add a booster rule like: reroll 1s, roll 1 extra die and drop the lowest (40+4d20 drop lowest), or a minimum value rule like "Lucky 7s" where any roll less then 7 gets boosted to 7.

Seriously, I like the 5d20 concept, but agree that the range can lead to some very unimpressive character stats.
N* makes me miss my Commadore 64 and my copies of Starflight I + II :(

SolForce Grunt 1: With the Suul'ka on the loose Command has issued a F.U.C.K. You order.
SG2: A what?
SG1: A Fight Until Cthulu Kills You order!

Nightshade

Post by Nightshade » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:49 pm

That seems reasonable, Arinn. If you want to keep some version of random gen too, the above poster has some good points; while 5 dice tend to pile up a bit much, 1 die with a multiplier seems to have too much swing.

Return to “Bionomicon”