So, Leviathans...

All things Human, Hiver, Tarka, Liir, Zuul and Morrigi.

Moderator: Erinys

The Apprentice

Re: So, Leviathans...

Post by The Apprentice » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:42 pm

sorain wrote:moving back to LV's now that we know there are LV+ ships that are going to appear in SOTS 2, I am starting to seriusly wonder what to call them... Behemoth would make sense to me, but then again...

Mecron said this in one of the SotS teaser vid threads-
Mecron wrote:And in the category of clarification and teasers...Has anyone ever said the Suul'ka are limited to "civilized" size classes? :twisted:

I'm reminded of the Zuul DN's and the Constructor CR's of the various races in SotS Prime.Even though branded as CR's and DN's, they were much larger than other ships of the same hull size. Without more info, I would say its too early to claim that the Suul'Ka use a LV+ class.... in game, it could simply be their LV's are larger than the other "civilized" races' LV's.
Feel free to call me App- it's shorter.

ravbeaver

Post by ravbeaver » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:51 am

The Apprentice wrote:Mecron said this in one of the SotS teaser vid threads-
Mecron wrote:And in the category of clarification and teasers...Has anyone ever said the Suul'ka are limited to "civilized" size classes? :twisted:

I'm reminded of the Zuul DN's and the Constructor CR's of the various races in SotS Prime.Even though branded as CR's and DN's, they were much larger than other ships of the same hull size. Without more info, I would say its too early to claim that the Suul'Ka use a LV+ class.... in game, it could simply be their LV's are larger than the other "civilized" races' LV's.

Well, he did say size classes, rather than simply size. That's what makes me suspect that the Suul'ka will have a LV+ class. Of course, like you said, this IS all speculation for the moment.
"I came to Casablanca for my health. I came here for the waters."
"Waters? What waters? We're in the middle of the desert."
"I was misinformed."

RobAK801
Doomsayer

Post by RobAK801 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:17 am

I hope the stations get an LV class, something along the lines of DN repair -> LV shipyard, that would be great.
N* makes me miss my Commadore 64 and my copies of Starflight I + II :(

SolForce Grunt 1: With the Suul'ka on the loose Command has issued a F.U.C.K. You order.
SG2: A what?
SG1: A Fight Until Cthulu Kills You order!

U.E.D.C.

Post by U.E.D.C. » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:31 pm

Can you say argos?
Mecron wrote:"Hah! We rule the earth!!! Space is stupid anyway!"

patton1942

Post by patton1942 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:03 am

newestpiggy wrote:First time post here

From what i keep reading every one talks about having one with like every fleet, but it very well may end up being a one per empire like with the biggest CnC( dont remember the name). after all, it being so big it would take a huge amount of efort just to maintain one. It reminds me of the death star thow. Huge beond thought and can carry masive amounts of DEs. it might even make DEs itself, kind of a small moblie planet( or with the death star, moon). sorry if some of this has ben talked about but i dont have the time tonight to read the other 6 pages in this thread.

Since nobody else manged to remember to do this. Welcome to posting!

This is a very good point. We're allowed to have only 1 Flagship in ANY, so this line of thought is perfectly valid. I'm not aware of any statement that precludes this from being true. It puts all the comments from the developers on leviathans into an entirely new perspective as well. I'm going to have to go back and re-read everything we've gotten so far.
Mecron on Rebellions: "hell no, we won't go!" becomes "Holy crap! We don't wanna glow!"
Here be pirates

hargert

Post by hargert » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:45 pm

I doubt very much given the focus of the new ship class in interviews that we would be limited to only 1 LV class ship. The other races are going to need them to face the horror that is Suul'ka. Also if there was only one LV per faction then whatever fight has one will have an advantage unless 2 meet. I see them being the new DNs of this age. Very expensive to build and maintain but you will see multiple LVs by the end game.

U.E.D.C.

Post by U.E.D.C. » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:52 pm

It would be interesting though to have a limit of one LV but having many different types of LVs available. It could really effect one's tactics and reflect playstyle

mega cnc, end all solution to fleet supply, badass DE carrier, peaceful ship of good will, WMD lawn chair, battleship
Mecron wrote:"Hah! We rule the earth!!! Space is stupid anyway!"

chris0101

Post by chris0101 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:44 am

We'll see when it comes out ...

I suspect though that they'll just be a logical step up from dreadnoughts.
"Never trust a traitor, not even one you create."
- Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

RobAK801
Doomsayer

Post by RobAK801 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:26 pm

Yeah has been said elsewhere that LV's will be like DN's in Prime; you won't be building tons of them, but they won't be heavily restricted if you want to bankrupt your empire.

SolForce Grunt 1: With the Suul'ka on the loose Command has issued a F.U.C.K. You order.

chris0101

Post by chris0101 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:16 am

RobAK801 wrote:Yeah has been said elsewhere that LV's will be like DN's in Prime; you won't be building tons of them, but they won't be heavily restricted if you want to bankrupt your empire.

Makes you wonder if the regular destroyers have been devalued.

I don't think that we will ever have a situation where SOTS 1 was WWI and SOTS 2 was WWII because that isn't how space combat works. Detection ranges are enormous. Firing ranges are also enormous. There's no horizon so to speak. That means that a shot will go on forever. Drones on the other hand would be limited by their range, limited weapons, and limited protection. There's good reason why drones would not be manned - attrition rates would be enormous.

patton1942

Post by patton1942 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:23 am

Battle riders have taken the place of the regular destroyer. They're not used in SoTS II. I believe the line was they are not survivable enough to justify their continued use. Battleriders must have more armor in place of the sizable FTL engines.
Mecron on Rebellions: "hell no, we won't go!" becomes "Holy crap! We don't wanna glow!"
Here be pirates

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:06 am

Battleriders come in multiple sizes -- DDs and CAs at least. Plus DDs still exist as system defense ships (whether this is separate from battleriders or not.) The DD isn't gone, but FTL DDs are.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

chris0101

Post by chris0101 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:03 am

The point that I would like to emphasize (assuming that SOTS follows real life) is that the advantages of a carrier over a battleship at sea are not there in space. In fact, the advantages may lean in favour of the battleship rather than the carrier.

I think that there will still be a need for destroyers though. Having something cheap early game is still a necessity.

Another point worth discussing is the possibility of building battle riders with no mothership - namely a ship that has just slower than light engines and is pretty much restricted to within a solar system. Such a ship would have better firepower and protection in return for no travel across solar systems. This could put the advantage slightly more in favour of a defending side.

RobAK801
Doomsayer

Post by RobAK801 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:39 pm

Mecron said we would be able to build just riders as system ships and to replenish losses carriers suffer in battle, even being able to build in one system and ferry them with a carrier to another.

Mesaia

Post by Mesaia » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:29 am

Even in space, there are advantages to building smaller ships compared to larger ships. This is especially if your space drive imposes physical limitations such as structural stresses on larger ships. If your space drives imposes a 1G normal space thrust, a 900 meter space ship is not going to be able to accelerate as well as a smaller ship without more mass devoted to the structural framework. If your space drive works by enclosing your ship in a funky space-time bubble, then there may be issues with making the bubble large enough for the LV.

Return to “The Races”