Rebirth of Silver Imperium civilian technology

All things Human, Hiver, Tarka, Liir, Zuul and Morrigi.

Moderator: Erinys

Kaan'Ish

Rebirth of Silver Imperium civilian technology

Post by Kaan'Ish » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:17 pm

Hiya

I feel a little pushy, making a new topic as my first post on these forums after a couple of years of lurkage :oops: . Still, here we go...

There have been mentions, in some of the SOTS 2 teaser info, that the Tarka have begun to rediscover, and experiment with, the Silver Imperium's technical knowledge. I am curious about the impact that this technological renaissance has had on Tarkan civilian life, rather than the military.

It is likely that the Silver Imperium's higher technology base than the present-day would have led to advancements in civilian life, given that our own civilian technological bases have seen advancement alongside that of the military and other government sponsored programmes. The speculations on what the manifestations of this might have been are hampered by my limited understanding of the current state of Tarkan technology, as well as technical and scientific fields in general.

Have there, for example, been innovations in transport technologies? Such as the prototype wireless electric buses in certain cities on present-day Earth, or fuel-cell power plants. Are vehicles running on advanced power plants, utilising anti-grav or similar?
What about materials technology, such as our advancements in skyscraper construction. Are there widespread advances in stress-resistant materials allowing for the aestheticisation of large buildings, in synthetic engineering substances that allow for wider design tolerances and/or performance envelopes with regards to heat, friction reduction, etc?
Have electronics been further refined as a result of these technological developments? Such as the talk of integrated electronics, and embedded expert systems in all sorts of devices and objects in our current society.

Or are these speculations wide of the mark? Are these all the sorts of things which can be assumed to be already ubiquitous, or even obsolete, in the current SOTS era, let alone that of SOTS 2?

I realise that there is also, implicitly in the main question, speculation about the current state of Tarkan technology within the civilian sphere, with the baseline from which the Silver Imperium research and rediscovery is launching from, and to what extent it differs from the society we are familiar with, both in terms of technological ubiquity and application, and in terms of an alien culture.

This is a topic about which I know little, and am curious to learn more. Thanks for the time.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Re: Rebirth of Silver Imperium civilian technology

Post by Erinys » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:02 pm

Silver Imperium technology is actually not widely available, especially in the civilian sector. There are only a few bits and pieces, generally held as heirlooms and not subject to a back-engineer's dissection.

This being said, the collapse of the old empire should not be understood primarily as a loss of technology base. It was an incomprehensible tragedy in terms of life, resources, and development. The main advance which has been achieved over the course of the SotS Prime era, and which is coming to fruition in the opening years of SotS ][, is that the Supreme has been carefully assembling all available historical records on the Silver Imperium.

All of the space surrounding the ancient Tarka homeworld has been thoroughly re-explored and re-colonized, and there has been no sign anywhere of a surviving Silver Imperium population or even the ruins of an old colony. All the new worlds which the Tarka have colonized have been either pristine, or taken from other species.

And yet it is clear that there was an interstellar empire during that period. There are still images, items and records dating from the time. The names of the ancient colonies are known, and many living Tarka had ancestors who had gone to these places to live, work, etc.. A new imperial capitol had been established on a jewel world which was perfectly suited to Tarka comfort and prosperity. There had been progress, important advances in technology, and a powerful network of administration and trade throughout the united worlds.

And then...it was gone. Suddenly, overnight, all the most developed worlds of the Silver Imperium vanished. How? Why? Surely it is not difficult to understand why the Supreme Commander would want to know...and very soon, he will.

Whether he will be overjoyed with the answer, of course, remains to be seen.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

Jonny

Post by Jonny » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:34 pm

I'm guessing that part of these records are star charts, so that the Tarka know which worlds used to be part of the Silver Imperium? If not, maybe it wasn't the Imperium which vanished, but some power beyond Planet Killer level moved the Tarka Homeworld?

I don't know if time travel is possible in SotSverse, but maybe the Silver Imperium is the empire they're building now, and at some point in the future their Homeworld gets flung into the past?

It's the lack of ruins that really confuses the issue. Surely even if every single person was abducted at once and every settlement flattened by orbital barrage there would still be plenty of evidence in systems around their Homeworld?

fibio

Post by fibio » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:15 pm

If nothing else you could find the same DNA strands on the worlds as the species you transported.
Buy my book - Six Seconds of Moonlight on the kindle store.

Anyone can be a god beneath the moonlight, but who can be a hero?

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:17 pm

Exactly. And yet, despite everything, they don't.

Nor do the contemporary star charts match up.

--Arinn
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

Jonny

Post by Jonny » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:37 pm

Hmmm, I'm guessing as you said "ancient Tarka Homeworld" that it really is their homeworld and they're not just a far flung lost colony that thinks it's the birthplace of their species. Also because you've done that kind of thing before and I know you don't like repeating stuff. :lol:

It can't just be something like the Von Neumanns disassembling everything Tarkasian on their worlds and leaving nothing behind because the star charts wouldn't be different and there would still be ships in transit during the apocalypse that would have returned to the homeworld or still be drifting. Plus the Morrigi would remember it.

Soooo.... either the homeworld and/or it's solar system were moved, in which case there's a super advanced massive Tarkan empire out there looking for it's birthplace, or maybe the whole thing was an elaborate forgery perpetrated by some unknown race. Faking the whole thing in order to take Tarkan slaves off their homeworld without the population knowing about it, they think they're starting a new life in an off-world colony when they really end up slaving in the salt mines.

When did the Silver Imperium collapse anyway? Did it have any correlation with the Liir bioweapon attack on the Suul'ka?

*edit*

Although... "Silver Imperium". The name seems to have a ring of Morrigi glamour to it, something pure and fey you'd not normally associate with empire building. Did they bamboozle the ancient Tarka?

AlanF5

Post by AlanF5 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:33 pm

<shiver>
A forgery of that scale seems more impossible than moving the Tarka homeworld, or even solar system, either in space or in time.

What happened to the homeworld when the Silver Empire fell? Cities destroyed, famine and plague, oceans turned to blood, that sort of thing? Or was it just a great silence from everywhere else?
Download my zombie outbreak mini-sim: unfortunately, it's not Fort Zombie.

Winner of the "Guess what the zerker discs are an homage to?" race. (The Mandarin's ten rings)

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:43 am

Two major events happened at Kao'Kuuma at the fall of the Silver Imperium.

1) A complete and instantaneous cessation of transport and trade from the colonized Tarka worlds, including the new imperial capitol, combined with the disappearance of the majority of the Tarkasian fleet. Economic collapse and associated chaos ensued, including mass starvation, political revolution, etc..

2) The arrival of a hostile Hiver fleet, which wreaked havoc on the Tarka home system until the remaining fleet assets of the Silver Age could rally and fight one last, desperate, suicidal battle to eradicate the enemy Gate. The Tarka warrior caste succeeded in preventing the extinction of their race, but not before the shipyards and many important production facilities were destroyed. All the Tarka warships and scout vessels who fought in this battle were lost.

--Arinn

erdrik

Post by erdrik » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:03 am

when you say the star charts don't match up, do you mean the stars are in different positions than they should be, or that the systems that were once colonized by the Silver Imperium have yet to be found at all?

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:10 am

The systems are not there.

--Arinn

erdrik

Post by erdrik » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:22 am

mmm Not a system Killer if the disappearence was instant..

Maybe the homeworld did move.. I wonder if there are any records of experiments at the time of the disappearence?

.. wait, when exactly did the Hiver fleet show up in relation to the sudden disappearence of the colonies?

Hiver and Tark FTL's are based on the same principles but its a "two sides of the same coin" type of thing.

Does Hiver Gates have some kind of odd affect on SIlver Imperium era ships?
Was this Hiver incursion their first contact? with a gate?

I came to this topic not expecting much, and now Im excited as all hell!
Tarks are my favorite race, and all these mysterious happenings is great!
:thumbsup:

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:23 am

Erinys wrote:The systems are not there.

--Arinn

This seems pretty clear to me. The Tarka know their homeworld has not moved relative to the galaxy as a whole, and they know where the missing colonies should be. The missing colonies are just that, missing.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

SpardaSon21

Post by SpardaSon21 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:47 am

Negative Space Wedgie perhaps?

If that isn't it, I'm out of ideas.

AlanF5

Post by AlanF5 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:40 am

At once eager and dreading to read of the fate of the Silver Imperium. One more reason to get SotS2 as soon as I can.

<tips hat to Arinn> Your 'verse breathes; that's why I was here early, and why I keep coming 'round.

and why i wished my character might have lost his last SAN point at your table
Download my zombie outbreak mini-sim: unfortunately, it's not Fort Zombie.

Winner of the "Guess what the zerker discs are an homage to?" race. (The Mandarin's ten rings)

TrashMan

Post by TrashMan » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:16 am

erdrik wrote:mmm Not a system Killer if the disappearence was instant..

A coordinated attack by several system killers?
halo07guy wrote: Praise be to Trashman! All will revel in his holy modding skillz!
And I say onto you: Blessed are those who play my mods - for they are good!

Return to “The Races”