Rebirth of Silver Imperium civilian technology

All things Human, Hiver, Tarka, Liir, Zuul and Morrigi.

Moderator: Erinys

Simetra

Re: Rebirth of Silver Imperium civilian technology

Post by Simetra » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:26 am

Yeah and this is what I said - no where it is stated that this new fleet was built at the HW ;)

Hari Seldon

Post by Hari Seldon » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:55 am

Erinys wrote:
Jabbawocky wrote:A question has occurred to me: when matter is brought over the Meniscus (either way), it retains it's properties, yes? i.e. antimatter from the antimatter side remains antimatter when brought over to the matter side of the Meniscus..? Is there any way to preform a 'matter/antimatter transform' of sorts?

Yes. There is one technological marvel in the SotSverse which might achieve this feat...but it would be a one-time feat and a one-way ticket. ;)

But assuming their Meson shields protect them from the antimatter so they survive there, getting their energy from taking the antimatter around them, could they still have Com across the meniscus via Graviton Beam or omnidirectional graviton broadcast, since as you say the gravity is shared across universes creating the Dark Matter effect (err more like the Black Matter effect 8))? Graviton beams would not give FTL Coms, but the scout could remember where it entered the antimatter universe, and return there at FTL speed periodically so the lightspeed gravitons would not have to go far and take a long time to reach someone listening back at home in the other universe?

Don't know if I would destroy or something the Unique Technological Marvel for that, though colonizing the other universe is temping.
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Salvor Hardin, Foundation

COL Tatticky
Cassandra

Post by COL Tatticky » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:10 am

Hari Seldon wrote:getting their energy from taking the antimatter around them

You forget, you need matter to anihilate with that antimatter...

Basically, they'd run out of reaction mass long before they could figure out how to get a signal to the other side. Assuming, of cource, that the remaining Tarkans aren't too busy fighting off a Hiver incursion to listen.....
Adeptus Astronomica assesment: Psyker, Grade Beta
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
5 DE Cobra

Unwashed_Pleb
Ante Priore Wangum

Post by Unwashed_Pleb » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:46 pm

I suppose the fall of the Silver Imperium has garnered the following philosophy in modern Tarkesian scientists...

Never... ever... EVER divide by zero.
Plebeian. Adj.
1. Of, belonging to, or characteristic of commoners.
2. Unrefined or coarse in nature or manner; common or vulgar: plebeian tastes.

Unwashed. Adj.
1. Unclean
2. Plebeian: the unwashed masses.

Ringsead

Post by Ringsead » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:40 am

Ok, after reading these many pages I had two main areas of questions, every race has their coveted secret, the lirr, the tarka, the hiver, even the morrigi, what is the really hushed secret of the humans?

Second, could somebody post scientific links so I can read up on,
mirror of creation
Menisceal barrier
and a Dark Phlogiston, (is this like Scientology?)
This ship had a name, its name was Robert Paulson...

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:45 pm

Dark Phlogiston is a joke. It's what Mecron and I call "Dark Matter/Dark Energy" theory. Phlogiston is an out-dated but very funny theory that was proposed back when scientists couldn't fully understand combustion. Before they were able to formulate the right experiments and prove the existence of oxygen, they proposed a subtance called "Phlogiston" to balance their equations. As time went on they started adding more and more outlandish properties to Phlogiston, including the suggestion that it had negative mass. It's an excellent example of how outrageous scientists are willing to get, rather than admit that their model of the universe is plain old dead wrong. We feel that modern Dark Matter theory is equally ridiculous.

The Mirror of Creation is the highest level of Hiver Gate Station. It is also a general term for the Meniscus itself, the non-event layer which Hivers believe divides the matter universe from its anti-matter twin. This Menisceal Barrier protects us all from annihilation, according to Hiver cosmology.

--Arinn

P.S. Welcome to the forums.
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

Ringsead

Post by Ringsead » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:20 pm

Erinys wrote:Dark Phlogiston is a joke. It's what Mecron and I call "Dark Matter/Dark Energy" theory. Phlogiston is an out-dated but very funny theory that was proposed back when scientists couldn't fully understand combustion. Before they were able to formulate the right experiments and prove the existence of oxygen, they proposed a subtance called "Phlogiston" to balance their equations. As time went on they started adding more and more outlandish properties to Phlogiston, including the suggestion that it had negative mass. It's an excellent example of how outrageous scientists are willing to get, rather than admit that their model of the universe is plain old dead wrong. We feel that modern Dark Matter theory is equally ridiculous.

The Mirror of Creation is the highest level of Hiver Gate Station. It is also a general term for the Meniscus itself, the non-event layer which Hivers believe divides the matter universe from its anti-matter twin. This Menisceal Barrier protects us all from annihilation, according to Hiver cosmology.

--Arinn

P.S. Welcome to the forums.

Thank you very much for clearing that up, and for welcoming me, I really enjoy that this game has more thought put into it than the mechanics involved.
The reason why I asked whether the humans have a dark secret, is because as it was said earlier, we gleam information from the human perspective... not the hiver, or the tarkan perspective... so I have really would have no way of finding that out, because it seems the humans dont keep too many secrets... how they got there ftl engine, where they come from, there wars, they seem like an open book in comparison to the other races.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:31 pm

I don't think any race has a secret as dark as the Liir, but there are a few skeletons in the closet of humankind. Most of them originate in the early years of Sol Force, and emerging from the web of relationships between the Blasky brothers, Ashilde Falke, and the men and women who helped launch humankind to the stars--the Kliggermans, Otomi, Vance and others.

Although Maldonado also has his dark moments.

I have considered going back to that era to write a bit about the very early days of Sol Force, but this would be something I would have to do independently. Not sure if the fans really want to read about Blasky Yao-Hsiang? But he does appeal to me as a character, and I like his brother as well.

--Arinn
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

Sagerk

Post by Sagerk » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:34 pm

I'd read it ;)

Scirch

Post by Scirch » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:45 pm

Seconded. I would find/buy/hunt down almost any kind of fiction from the SotSverse, regardless of format, era or race. I've read the Deacon's Tale at least five times over, if not more so, and I don't see myself getting bored of it anytime soon. It's just so good! :thumbsup:
When one makes something fool-proof, they inevitably fail to take into account the ingenuity of fools.

Ringsead

Post by Ringsead » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:26 pm

Erinys wrote:I don't think any race has a secret as dark as the Liir, but there are a few skeletons in the closet of humankind. Most of them originate in the early years of Sol Force, and emerging from the web of relationships between the Blasky brothers, Ashilde Falke, and the men and women who helped launch humankind to the stars--the Kliggermans, Otomi, Vance and others.

Although Maldonado also has his dark moments.

I have considered going back to that era to write a bit about the very early days of Sol Force, but this would be something I would have to do independently. Not sure if the fans really want to read about Blasky Yao-Hsiang? But he does appeal to me as a character, and I like his brother as well.

--Arinn

Perhaps this would be a better question, what would human conspiracy theorists or conspiracy theorists of other races concerning humans, be talking about at the time of sots2? Besides the lords of winter.

It seems strange that the humans are the only ones that doesn't have some great mystery attached to them (though I do admit at least humans aren't the descendents of one of the elder races, required to activate ring shaped star bases capable of destroying systems, or in some way shape or form is needed to save the galaxy as has been so overplayed in scifi.)

COL Tatticky
Cassandra

Post by COL Tatticky » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:16 am

Ringsead wrote:It seems strange that the humans are the only ones that doesn't have some great mystery attached to them

Perhaps that's because the lore is primarily written from the point of view of SolForce, to whom even much of the other races' cultures remain mysteries.
Adeptus Astronomica assesment: Psyker, Grade Beta
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
5 DE Cobra

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:30 am

Ringsead wrote:Perhaps this would be a better question, what would human conspiracy theorists or conspiracy theorists of other races concerning humans, be talking about at the time of sots2? Besides the lords of winter.

What an excellent and interesting question! :thumbsup:

Conspiracy theorists from other races would be working on the following questions:

1. How is it possible that the first Human colony ship and its crew of dignitaries was set to launch on the exact date that a Hiver fleet reached near-Earth orbit? How were the passengers of the Nova Maria selected, and was it just a coincidence that so many government officials who had expressed doubts about Sol Force funding or its mandate to explore space were aboard?

2. What was the connection between Human research into cybernetics and Artificial Intelligence during the Hiver War and the sudden appearance of the Via Damasco virus during the Zuul War? Why are all infected AI's suddenly able to communicate in Latin, and why is the infecting code embedded in a verse from a Human holy book?

3. How did such an unprecedented number of Human Independents successfully traverse the contested territories in Tarka and Hiver space during the years from 2408-2452 to form colonies in formerly Morrigi-held space? The hardships of the journey are well-documented, but the mathematics of refueling those primitive destroyers have never been explained, and how did so many tiny "Independent" communities afford the supplies needed for terraforming and self-maintenance?

4. What exactly is the mysterious "Wild Talents" project up to? What unnatural abilities are being sought and fostered in the general population?

These are probably the sort of things they talk about when the monkeys aren't around.

--Arinn

Ringsead

Post by Ringsead » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:19 am

.....woah....

Im going to think hard on my next question...

Ringsead

Post by Ringsead » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:22 am

...This added many very, interesting questions for things I passed off as that there was a logical explanation that I just didn't have an answer for, and filed in for the gaps, but that other races pose these questions is very interesting to me. I would sincerely love to go around the table and find out what the conspiracies lay on the doorsteps of each race, but I do not believe I would get as profound a response again, however I will ask if I may do so? It would not answer any questions, but answer that there are questions.

(I do realize conspiracy is a very tricky thing, it is in my opinion the very same thing except in the opposite spectrum as religion, in that, it is based on doubt where religion is based on belief. A conspiracies existence is based on the lack of evidence, to a said truth concerning an event, and the importance to a people, not just to an individual. The strongest conspiracy I know of is the Kennedy assassination, because it was a large focus of attention, (A president) a large volume of information, cameras, first hand accounts... but large holes of information that cannot be answered and leave the possibility of an alternate event) The larger the event is, in people and time the less power it has, and the more information an event has shores up possible areas of doubt... some people claim the lunar landing was a conspiracy, the people, time, and information, leave little room for doubt, and does not have enough holes to create a decent following.

The actual question: That these are things talked about often behind the monkeys backs, would you put each of these conspiracies on a list that would match the Kennedy assassination, or would you put them with the lunar landing?

Return to “The Races”