How to learn and research a particular tech your ally has?

All things Human, Hiver, Tarka, Liir, Zuul and Morrigi.

Moderator: Erinys

Yuji

How to learn and research a particular tech your ally has?

Post by Yuji » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:49 am

Actually I have research level 3 of the Xenotech of my Liir ally, they have Light Emitters while I don't have it and it looks like I can learn and research those Light Emitters using Xenotech but IDK how, can someone tell me?

MS_Cowboy

Re: How to learn and research a particular tehc your ally ha

Post by MS_Cowboy » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:07 am

Your ally has to research xenotech for your race up to the fourth level. Then they can offer you technology. There is really nothing you can do to get them to do this, so if you are playing with an AI partner you probably won't be able to get it. The AI does offer technology, but very rarely.
Blinded by X-ray Lasers

Yuji

Re: How to learn and research a particular tech your ally ha

Post by Yuji » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:17 am

That sucks then... but can you offer them technology? :) Cause I am Morrigi, they probably won't have asteroid monitor construction.

Then if this is possible, how to tech em?

BizzarreCoyote

Post by BizzarreCoyote » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:52 pm

You can, but they must have the pre-req already researched, and have missed out on the tech in question. Same restrictions apply, must have 4th level xenotech for the race in question.

Having all of this, just go into where you would give a player money. Select the player in question, and if you can offer a tech, there should be a button above the money/research sliders allowing you to do so.

overweightninja wrote: Bows & Arrows or small calibre weapons are all well and good, but unless you're exploding zed heads, you're just creating evil brain munching swiss cheese.

Yuji

Post by Yuji » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:46 am

Hmmph, I'll check that tomorrow :).

S0ny B1ack

Re: How to learn and research a particular tehc your ally ha

Post by S0ny B1ack » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:03 am

Crazie_Guy wrote:.... The AI does offer technology, but very rarely.

I don't think its that rare, in my latest 2 games I got some techs from my allies (but we were the same race (Morrigi in one and Liir in the other game), so maybe that is the reson they offered me the shared research projects)

Master

Post by Master » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:13 am

I think the AI rarely offers tech because researching the necessary language tier (and all lower ones) is pretty expensive. The AI probably prefers to research better weapons etc. Remember that the AI in SotS plays to win, not to make friends :)
"The next best thing to have after a reliable ally is a predictable enemy"

Mesaia

Post by Mesaia » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:46 am

Actually, they Ai is pretty consistent in researching the xenotechs. They know that to survive, one must occasionally make temporary friends.

Techs can usually begot though salvage. Saves them the cost of offering the tech and the 50k per turn. Techs can also be really powerful too... they might not like you enough to offer you techs.

Return to “The Races”