Incident at Ko'Grappa

All things Human, Hiver, Tarka, Liir, Zuul and Morrigi.

Moderator: Erinys

Kaelis Ra

Post by Kaelis Ra » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:40 pm

Thank you both.
It's a rough road that leads to the stars, so take the node line instead. You'll get there in no time flat.

dwfait

Post by dwfait » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:36 pm

I can't wait for the Tarka version of Father Ted.

castewar
Kerberos

Post by castewar » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:03 am

"Good morning, Kan-dai."

"Good morning, Colm. Out and about I see."

"Same as yerself, Kan-dai."

"Good, good."

"I hear you're a racist now, Kan-dai."

"What?!"

"What's the empire's position on the racism, Kan-dai? Are we all racist now?"

"No, nobody is supposed to be racist!"

"'Cause you see, Kan-dai, I spend most of my day killing Liir, and in the evening, I just like a cuppa tea. I won't have a lot of time to devote to the old racism."

Lobukia

Post by Lobukia » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:06 pm

First of all, excellent read Erinys

Few thoughts on the slavers... Suul'ka may have had other enslaved races that when freed decided to become the slave masters instead of the slaves themselves. After some crude modifications to their former masters' vessels, off they went to do unto others as had been done unto them... ?

Where do they take all of those slaves... maybe the Slavers just prefer fresh meat... maybe the slave are the labor force that runs the planet killer (doubt it, but still)...

Would be nice if the main menu had a Codex Alienus... containing all of this fluff and depth... every new patch, more entries could be added... or maybe as you gained victories more would be unlocked?
Only the dead have seen the end of war ~Plato

Sevain

Post by Sevain » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:27 pm

That would be an excellent addition together with a story driven campaign, where each scenario/task/whatever unlocks new entries.

Gakl

Post by Gakl » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:47 pm

Lobukia wrote:Few thoughts on the slavers... Suul'ka may have had other enslaved races that when freed decided to become the slave masters instead of the slaves themselves. After some crude modifications to their former masters' vessels, off they went to do unto others as had been done unto them... ?

Wouldn't that mean the slavers have a drive similar to liir? As far as I can tell, in game performance of slaver ships acts like any other reaction drive.
-Do you ever feel a strong need to press F9 to end your turn?
Sounds of my current project: http://soundcloud.com/leopardmerkin/sets/basement/
Black Science -- http://www.myspace.com/blacksciencemusic
An Echo Through The Eyes of Forever (2012)
Cosmodemonic & Beyond (2010)
A New Mastery of Light (2008)
-- Download here --
Image Image Image

Gakl

Post by Gakl » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:54 pm

dwfait wrote:I can't wait for the Tarka version of Father Ted.

Hmm...somehow I can't see our lizard monkey friends frequenting massive souless suburban mega churches in SUVs. Seems like they would attain their spiritual highs through killing small furry animals, like suburbanites. =)
-Do you ever feel a strong need to press F9 to end your turn?
Sounds of my current project: http://soundcloud.com/leopardmerkin/sets/basement/
Black Science -- http://www.myspace.com/blacksciencemusic
An Echo Through The Eyes of Forever (2012)
Cosmodemonic & Beyond (2010)
A New Mastery of Light (2008)
-- Download here --
Image Image Image

Ari
Kerbicron Cleric - Paper!
Kerbicron Cleric - Paper!

Post by Ari » Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:50 pm

Rorschach wrote:In regards to the Suul'ka I think if you have enough power to enslave an entire world why would you stop with just one? There could be a whole bunch of former/current Suul'ka thralls out there.

Hunpecked, I think for gameplay reasons HR ranges are random from game to game but we haven't been told what the compatibility is for the storyline universe of SotS. It could be that the Humans and Tarkas are very compatible environment wise.

You assume it would be a wide occurance to escape slavery of the Suul'ka. Remember, we only know of one case. The Liir might well have been unique in that they started off passive and suddenly exploded, killing their oppressors in a co-ordinated fashion by using a biological weapon. That really left no room for retaliation from the Suul'ka. The Suul'ka might very well have simply killed off any resistance that followed more predictable (to them) patterns.
"Never attribute to stupidity that which can be adequately explained by laziness."
2 + 2 = 5, for sufficiently large values of 2.

Blazer
Zuul Survivor
Zuul Survivor

Post by Blazer » Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:16 pm

On the other hand Ari, the storyline itself says no one knows what vector the plague followed or even the extent of it's damage. They could have been completely destroyed by the Liir or even weakened enough to allow some other races to escape their clutches.

Consider this;

The Zuul are a biologically engineered race, or at least they are biologically altered in some way. Maybe they were being built by the Suul'ka as a warrior caste, but were being kept in some sort of stasis. They were being contained, but the release of the Liir plague killed the Suul'ka which in turn meant there was no one there to make sure the Zuul weren't woken up.

If the Zuul were a Suul'ka project, and then one day the Suul'ka vanished, the Zuul could now be wandering the cosmos looking for the people that created them. They scavenge some Suul'ka technology, play with it until they can figure out some way to make it work even if it wasn't the way it was intended to work, and wham-bam the slavers are loosed upon the galaxy.
Pro Bono Populi

"I am constant as the northern star..."

Nspace
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Nspace » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:08 pm

Alternately, what if the Zuul are the biological weapon that the Liir created to destroy the Suul'ka? The actual wording is:
"the Liir unleashed a bioweapon tailored to Suul’ka physiology on Muur."
The rest of the backstory does mention that it was a "disease", but could that have been a bit of misinformation planted by the Liir themselves? or maybe a bit broader of an interpretation of the term "disease" could be at work?
It is impossible at this point to say what agent the Liir may have used or what vectors it followed. We only know that the resulting disease was so virulent and lethal that it appears to have quickly spread beyond the colony and completely eradicated the Suul’ka, at least from nearby sectors of space.

It is of note that bioweapons, although lethal, are by nature not 100% reliable and that it is possible that remnants of the Suul'ka remain

So maybe the Zuul are looking for the Liir. Personally, I'm not convinced that the Suul'ka had anything to do with the Zuul and that the “The Great Mastersâ€
"Quando omni flunkus, mortati" - "When all else fails, play dead"
SotS 1 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots1/Main_Page
SotS 2 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots2/SotS2_Codex

Coyote27

Post by Coyote27 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:27 pm

Agreed - I'm not convinced that the Suul'ka were any more advanced when they enslaved the Liir than the Liir were when they won their freedom. Actually the converse seems to be true, since the Liir advanced in a quick leap because they assimilated the Suul'ka technology - so it couldn't have been that advanced. And if anything, the Suul'ka had pathetic biotech, or they'd have been better able to resist the plague.
"In the absence of any orders, go find something and kill it." -Erwin Rommel

Sevain

Post by Sevain » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:24 pm

I don't know, I could see The Least One of the Suul'ka slowly movings its tentacles up and down (equivalent of yawning in human communication), thinking how hard work it is to order enslavement fleets to be sent around and then commanding a sub-servient enslaver race to be created, so The Least One wouldn't have to bother with small stuff like that. On mysterious Planet X Suul'ka scientists labour and toil mixing a bit of Liir for telepathic powers, a touch of the family dog for loyalty, a drop of various local fauna for athletic abilities and maybe even a tiny, tiny crumb of human for will to see what is beyond the horizon (in this case to take it, put chains around its limbs and haul it back to work for the Great Masters). Before the just born ZUUUL can begin their reign of galactic terror the Liir bio weapon hits, kills off all the resident Suul'ka and leaves the surviving ZUUUUL to wonder where their Great Masters went. Because they have a bit of dog in them they want to find their Great Masters, fast forward a few decades and they are in space looking for them in the next solarsystem. My theory, anyway.

The Captain

Post by The Captain » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:47 pm

My question is whether these attacks upon colonies such as Avalon and Ko'Grappa are merely coordinated raids, or are probing attacks of some kind. Are they testing us? Preparing for some kind of massive, galaxy wide offensive? Will they fall upon the other civilized races like bats from hell and sweep all before them, forcing the others to unite in some kind of desperate alliance, just to hold them off?

I certainly hope so.
:twisted:

Let them come!
When questioning whether or not planetary genocide is justifyable, remember the wisdom of Fleet Admiral Prescott TFN:
The best option is ALWAYS the Shiva Option!

AlanF5

Post by AlanF5 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:50 pm

A "Red Harvest" scenario to parallel the "Hungry Children?"

Jerawolfe

Re: Incident at Ko'Grappa

Post by Jerawolfe » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:54 pm

Is the only way to find aquire this novel within the boxed set of CE?

Return to “The Races”