Incident at Avalon

All things Human, Hiver, Tarka, Liir, Zuul and Morrigi.

Moderator: Erinys

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:36 am

Mecron wrote:or maybe someday zed will figure out from the earlier dialogue that the person hearing the zuul voice...IN HIS HEAD...is religious or at least steeped in the mythology. :P

No, I got that part. ;)

I just prefer to hold onto the idea that the mythology might actually be real, y'know? So that, if it DOES make a for-real appearance in the story, we all know to duck and run for cover. Some guys reaching into a person's mind and pulling out whatever makes them afraid, or researching Christian mythology in their spare time and making use of it, is a bit underwhelming in comparison -- not that it's not cool enough in it's own right, it's just not anywhere close to as nasty. The Zuul CAN be killed, after all, or else they wouldn't be a race in the game.

Kaelis Ra

Post by Kaelis Ra » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:45 am

ZedF wrote:
Mecron wrote:or maybe someday zed will figure out from the earlier dialogue that the person hearing the zuul voice...IN HIS HEAD...is religious or at least steeped in the mythology. :P

No, I got that part. ;)

I just prefer to hold onto the idea that the mythology might actually be real, y'know? So that, if it DOES make a for-real appearance in the story, we all know to duck and run for cover. Some guys reaching into a person's mind and pulling out whatever makes them afraid, or researching Christian mythology in their spare time and making use of it, is a bit underwhelming in comparison -- not that it's not cool enough in it's own right, it's just not anywhere close to as nasty. The Zuul CAN be killed, after all, or else they wouldn't be a race in the game.

You and I are at a complete 180 on this. A well educated villain spouting off classical literature and messing with people's heads is always a treat for me. Yet another case of ancient religious myths being somewhat vindicated by space aliens, well it's been done by things like Babylon5, and perhaps overdone by another favorite of mine Warhammer 40,000. It has interesting story potential, but it's been done and I don't think it really meshes all that great with things that have already been laid out in the background material.
It's a rough road that leads to the stars, so take the node line instead. You'll get there in no time flat.

patton1942

Post by patton1942 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 am

I get more of an impression of catholicism of SoTS being more like a mythology, less of a zealous faith. Something more like how the Benegeserit manipulate the Fremen in the Dune serious, and less like a real world religion.

Maybe I should say that i think religion in the context of game / story is seen more from the point of view of the benegeserit manipulating, and less of the fremen being manipulated.

Religion as a tool, not so much as an actual faith.
Mecron on Rebellions: "hell no, we won't go!" becomes "Holy crap! We don't wanna glow!"
Here be pirates

Grifman
Ante Priore Wangum

Post by Grifman » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:00 am

Psymon wrote:
Kaelis Ra wrote:"My Name is Legion, for we are many" is iirc the catchphrase for a demon of multiple personality disorder that Jesus cast out in the New Testament.
Either that, or Arinn watches a lot of Red Dwarf. Due my near perfect memory for anything I find funny, I can tell you it's from one of the episodes of Season Five. Though yeah, the Bible thing's probably the right answer.

Ah, tis sad the biblical illiteracy of our present day culture . . . this was the quote of the possessed man of the Gadarenes . . .

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:59 am

Kaelis Ra wrote:You and I are at a complete 180 on this. A well educated villain spouting off classical literature and messing with people's heads is always a treat for me. Yet another case of ancient religious myths being somewhat vindicated by space aliens, well it's been done by things like Babylon5, and perhaps overdone by another favorite of mine Warhammer 40,000. It has interesting story potential, but it's been done and I don't think it really meshes all that great with things that have already been laid out in the background material.

Heh, well I could say 'been there, seen that' to people messing with others' heads in this fashion as well, so different strokes I guess. I agree that the 'mythology is real' angle doesn't really fit with SotS the game. My point was simply that if someone were to make the decision that the mythology were real in SotS, I'd want them to be a lot more dangerous than a race you can kill and wipe off the map.

Stonefish

Post by Stonefish » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:16 am

Grifman wrote:
Psymon wrote:
Kaelis Ra wrote:"My Name is Legion, for we are many" is iirc the catchphrase for a demon of multiple personality disorder that Jesus cast out in the New Testament.
Either that, or Arinn watches a lot of Red Dwarf. Due my near perfect memory for anything I find funny, I can tell you it's from one of the episodes of Season Five. Though yeah, the Bible thing's probably the right answer.

Ah, tis sad the biblical illiteracy of our present day culture . . . this was the quote of the possessed man of the Gadarenes . . .

Biblical illiteracy? He's not even Red Dwarf literate :roll: . It was Season 6, episode 2. Just after they got on board Starbug. Legion gave arnie his hard-light bee.

Blazer
Zuul Survivor
Zuul Survivor

Post by Blazer » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:05 am

I'm going to point something else out. Some people are speculating that these are the Suul'ka and that they're looking for the Liir because the liir turned them into these monsters.

Highly unlikely.

The slavers attack Liir colonies often enough right? If they had encountered their creators, it seems like the search would be over. Especially considering the Suul'ka knew where Muur was.

I think the Suul'ka created the Zuul and that is who they are searching for.
Pro Bono Populi

"I am constant as the northern star..."

Blazer
Zuul Survivor
Zuul Survivor

Post by Blazer » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:14 am

I'm interested in "he turned and roared toward salvation in the west."

That's where the shuttle was, but I wonder if there is something beneath the surface of this.

In Christian cultures the East is significant because it is said Jesus will return again from the East. The direction of the rising sun. Don't know any significance in the West though.
Pro Bono Populi

"I am constant as the northern star..."

Psymon
Zuul Survivor
Zuul Survivor

Post by Psymon » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:16 am

Stonefish wrote:Biblical illiteracy? He's not even Red Dwarf literate :roll: . It was Season 6, episode 2. Just after they got on board Starbug. Legion gave arnie his hard-light bee.
Arg, usually I'm better than that, :oops: I guess this is what I get for posting at around 12:30 AM. Remember kids, don't post when extremely tired.
Ernest Hemingway once said the world is a good place and worth fighting for. I agree with the latter sentiment.

Coyote27

Post by Coyote27 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:26 pm

Blazer wrote:I'm interested in "he turned and roared toward salvation in the west."

That's where the shuttle was, but I wonder if there is something beneath the surface of this.

In Christian cultures the East is significant because it is said Jesus will return again from the East. The direction of the rising sun. Don't know any significance in the West though.

The thing that "heading west for salvation" conjures in my mind would be the wagon trains crossing the prairie to the wild West where there's gold and open range and nobody knows your name or past... only problem is that the natives don't share your expansionist (pun intended) enthusiasm.

Wait... waaaait... anglocentricity detected.

The Indians had to run westward too... usually for their lives. Ever heard of the Trail of Tears?

edit:

Also, the Zuul seem to be "religious" in a quite different sense than most of us expected.
"In the absence of any orders, go find something and kill it." -Erwin Rommel

Sevain

Post by Sevain » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:30 pm

It is clear, the name Zuul comes from their Zeal.

Breniir

Post by Breniir » Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:22 pm

Wasn't Zuul in the first Ghostbusters movie? Then, Zuul's master, Gozer, preyed upon Ray's "fears" and made the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man. I'm still working on the claws and fur angle though, give me time!
[...]

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:07 am

Lol...I am grateful for the Ghostbusters allusion, if only because it makes people pronouce the word correctly. I must admit, though, it wasn't the primary reason that this species referred to itself by this name.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

patton1942

Post by patton1942 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:31 am

Breniir wrote:Wasn't Zuul in the first Ghostbusters movie? Then, Zuul's master, Gozer, preyed upon Ray's "fears" and made the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man. I'm still working on the claws and fur angle though, give me time!

"RAY! When somebody asks you if you're a god, you say, YES!"
Mecron on Rebellions: "hell no, we won't go!" becomes "Holy crap! We don't wanna glow!"
Here be pirates

Dire Wombat

Post by Dire Wombat » Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:32 am

Erinys wrote:Lol...I am grateful for the Ghostbusters allusion, if only because it makes people pronouce the word correctly. I must admit, though, it wasn't the primary reason that this species referred to itself by this name.

Wouldn't it be great if it was, though?

"We have searched through hundreds of your years on thousands of worlds for the old gods, and we will not be denied. Bring us the one called 'Venkman' or be destroyed."

Sorry, Arinn, I couldn't resist. :)

Return to “The Races”