Incident at Avalon

All things Human, Hiver, Tarka, Liir, Zuul and Morrigi.

Moderator: Erinys

Blazer
Zuul Survivor
Zuul Survivor

Post by Blazer » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:31 pm

For you have seen such things

Dante, Paradiso, Canto 23 -The Vision of Christ

Open your eyes and look at what I am,
For you have seen such things that you are able
Now to withstand the vision of my smile
Pro Bono Populi

"I am constant as the northern star..."

Kaelis Ra

Post by Kaelis Ra » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:46 pm

That seems odd. He was just riding the diabolical vibe and suddenly goes to a Christ-line? Keep that on a back burner, but I suspect there's either a better fit or it's coincidence.

btw, after this, I think it's definately time for Sol Force to start looking into putting research spending on power armor, going back to the first thread I ever posted on these boards. I mean, they manage to put jump jets into just an environment suit, so it seems there's a lot of potential to blur the line between infantryman and tank... ;)
It's a rough road that leads to the stars, so take the node line instead. You'll get there in no time flat.

Sevain

Post by Sevain » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:51 pm

If they have jetpacks they ought to develope spinfusors next, not some silly armor! :)

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:03 pm

nothing in the piece is coincedence.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:05 pm

Kaelis Ra wrote:Look older than that.

Why, this is hell, Cai Rui, a voice replied—cruel, insinuating, coiling like a serpent in his mind. Nor are we out of it.

Mephistopheles in The Tragical History of Dr. Faustus was asked by the eponymous doctor how a demon could appear outside of hell, and gave the slaver's line verbatim.

Very good, Kaelis.

And what was the next line? ;)

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

Coyote27

Post by Coyote27 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:27 pm

This is beautiful. If that's the Zuul, I can't wait to play them. I always liked the villains better than the heroes... and these guys are dripping with panache.
"In the absence of any orders, go find something and kill it." -Erwin Rommel

Kaelis Ra

Post by Kaelis Ra » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:29 pm

Erinys wrote:
Kaelis Ra wrote:Look older than that.

Why, this is hell, Cai Rui, a voice replied—cruel, insinuating, coiling like a serpent in his mind. Nor are we out of it.

Mephistopheles in The Tragical History of Dr. Faustus was asked by the eponymous doctor how a demon could appear outside of hell, and gave the slaver's line verbatim.

Very good, Kaelis.

And what was the next line? ;)

--Arinn

Thinkst thou that I who saw the face of God,
And tasted the eternal ioys of heaven,
Am not tormented with ten thousand hells,
In being deprived of everlasting bliss?

That one wasn't from memory so I can't claim full intellectual points. Google strikes again, however.

But I'm afraid this isn't quite the shocking reveal you may have hoped for. You see, I read the press release for the expansion pack, and the things listed there-in have pretty much laid out most of what's going on with that angle. I say most, because there is still one thing that seems off.

[spoiler]Why does he think himself the devil, when in fact it is the Liir that rebelled and created hell? Or do they just like making people think of them as things to be feared and the clues to the real story are freudian slips? As observed from going to the effort of crucifying the priest last episode, the slavers do enjoy accumulating @$$hole points.[/spoiler]
It's a rough road that leads to the stars, so take the node line instead. You'll get there in no time flat.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:01 am

Rereading the press release, it looks more like the Zuul and the slavers might indeed be the same thing as the rippers from this story. So I'd guess that the hellish imagery is something that they've picked up on from somewhere, and that we're not talking about the real denizens of Hell here.

Ah well. Maybe someday Lucifer will take objection to those that are treading upon his shtick. ;)

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:08 am

or maybe someday zed will figure out from the earlier dialogue that the person hearing the zuul voice...IN HIS HEAD...is religious or at least steeped in the mythology. :P
Last edited by Mecron on Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hunpecked

Post by Hunpecked » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:10 am

Mecron wrote:or maybe it would just talk about what you do and dream of in the dark by yourself Hun, and whisper how everyone will know by the time it is done with you.

Ah, now I get it. Whatever the background, the Ripper pounces on the victim's worst fears, however low-brow they may be. Sort of a mental Room 101. For some it might be damnation, for others it might be rats, for me it would be...

Yikes! Hiver fleets that don't suicidally pursue my missile ships into oblivion! No, no, NOOOOO! :shock:
"If there's one thing I can't stand, it's intolerance!" -- Me

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:11 am

hun...well not quite, but you are certainly closer :wink:

Coyote27

Post by Coyote27 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:13 am

Lovecraft would be proud of what you have done.
"In the absence of any orders, go find something and kill it." -Erwin Rommel

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:17 am

Kaelis Ra wrote:But I'm afraid this isn't quite the shocking reveal you may have hoped for.

*chuckles* Revealing the full text of a quotation isn't exactly what I would call a "shocking" reveal, no.

I would go more with a word like "informative". ;)

--Arinn
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

Kaelis Ra

Post by Kaelis Ra » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:19 am

Mecron wrote:or maybe someday zed will figure out from the earlier dialogue that the person hearing the zuul voice...IN HIS HEAD...is religious or at least steeped in the mythology. :P

This is the same Cai Rui that was a member of a secret order of Catholics in the incident at Ko'Graapa, so I think it's rather safe to say that he is very religious.

But it is indeed uncertain from a reader's pov at this time whether the Slaver was picking up Marlowe on the fly from Cai Rui, or if he picked it up more slowly from the priests tortured to death at Ko'Graapa and would use the same or simillar phrasings on any given English-speaking human he wanted to play with the head of. There's a big difference in just how monstrous Slaver psi is to answer with that one.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:20 am

Coyote27 wrote:Lovecraft would be proud of what you have done.

Thank you. I appreciate the kind words. Lovecraft is a personal favorite and a big influence, obviously--the Old Gent has much to teach about the use of good reference material. ;)

--Arinn

Return to “The Races”