Incident at Avalon

All things Human, Hiver, Tarka, Liir, Zuul and Morrigi.

Moderator: Erinys

patton1942

Post by patton1942 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:25 am

I don't know. the left screams "photoshopped 1950s SciFi short-story mag" and the one on the right makes me think of el chupacabra.

Not sure why that is, but thats what I thought when i saw it.
Mecron on Rebellions: "hell no, we won't go!" becomes "Holy crap! We don't wanna glow!"
Here be pirates

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:40 pm

patton1942 wrote:I don't know.

It's meant to be fun. Photoshop is the medium of fine humorists everywhere.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

patton1942

Post by patton1942 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:27 am

I realize I use a lot of self depreciating humor, but I'm not really so stupid that I don't recognize a photoshop when I see one.

(hence, the El Chupacabra comments) ;)

besides, I love a good photoshop, though my skills are sadly, exceptionally sub-par.
Mecron on Rebellions: "hell no, we won't go!" becomes "Holy crap! We don't wanna glow!"
Here be pirates

Hans Lemurson

Post by Hans Lemurson » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:29 am

patton1942 wrote:the one on the right makes me think of el chupacabra.

How do you know that they aren't? Maybe they just haven't grown up yet and eviscerated/psychicly enslaved us.

OrAllbowbemaybeforetheit'salmightybecausemasterheyou'reseesallaworkingndnoneshforallescapethem!!!

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:09 pm

patton1942 wrote:I realize I use a lot of self depreciating humor, but I'm not really so stupid that I don't recognize a photoshop when I see one.

Yes, we know. To the extent that you feel the need to pointedly mention it in multiple posts and threads? I'm not really sure why recognizing that a book cover was laid out with Photoshop is so noteworthy, though. A lot of the book covers on any shelf at Chapters could easily be laid out with Photoshop; the program is a very powerful graphic design tool. Either one of the two covers above could be transferred to a book jacket and printed quite easily. What is the big deal?

The covers were something cool and special that a very talented friend of mine did for the sake of a laugh and link to the fiction pieces. I'm hoping to get them on black t-shirts someday, myself. ;)

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

patton1942

Post by patton1942 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:57 am

I was just responding to sevian's post. Nothing personal was meant by it, and I would probably buy a tee shirt w/ the chupacabra on it. I like that one.

And do I really mention it all that often? that would be kind of creepy... *shrug*
Last edited by patton1942 on Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Here be pirates

Chris
Zuul Survivor
Zuul Survivor

Post by Chris » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:20 am

Hans Lemurson wrote:All bow before the almighty master he sees all and none shall escape

He has you too, I see!

Hans Lemurson

Post by Hans Lemurson » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:07 am

Notheweakheshalldoesperishnot.

Ari
Kerbicron Cleric - Paper!

Post by Ari » Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:12 pm

Erinys wrote:Lol...I am grateful for the Ghostbusters allusion, if only because it makes people pronouce the word correctly. I must admit, though, it wasn't the primary reason that this species referred to itself by this name.

--Arinn

It's been ages since I saw the movie- how are you supposed to pronounce Zuul? Does it rhyme with "pool"?
"Never attribute to stupidity that which can be adequately explained by laziness."
2 + 2 = 5, for sufficiently large values of 2.

Blazer
Zuul Survivor
Zuul Survivor

Post by Blazer » Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:17 pm

Pro Bono Populi

"I am constant as the northern star..."

Ari

Post by Ari » Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:44 pm

This would be what I expected. ;)
"Never attribute to stupidity that which can be adequately explained by laziness."
2 + 2 = 5, for sufficiently large values of 2.

Erebus

Post by Erebus » Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:09 am

Just wondering if anyone's put forward the theory that the Zuul are a sort of parasite?
It would allow them to infiltrate a host planet until it was too late. Perhaps they pull some sort of 'The Thing' trick. Either way it allows for variety in their physiology.
I figure they'd be rather small, very much like a bacteria/virus swarm. En masse they can conquer a host body, gain access to its information and memories and the sheer numbers of them somehow allow for the psychic abilities. This would also explain the "We are Legion" side to them.
Potentially this means they could inhabit the host body, or break it down at the basic DNA level and reconstruct it to their needs. But the latter presupposes they have do indeed have insane biotech skills.

Hans Lemurson

Post by Hans Lemurson » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:48 am

Erebus wrote:This would also explain the "We are Legion" side to them.

Either that or their native language lacks articles, and their organizational structure is eerily similar to that of the the post-marian roman military.

Blazer
Zuul Survivor
Zuul Survivor

Post by Blazer » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:44 pm

Erebus wrote:Just wondering if anyone's put forward the theory that the Zuul are a sort of parasite?
It would allow them to infiltrate a host planet until it was too late. Perhaps they pull some sort of 'The Thing' trick. Either way it allows for variety in their physiology.
I figure they'd be rather small, very much like a bacteria/virus swarm. En masse they can conquer a host body, gain access to its information and memories and the sheer numbers of them somehow allow for the psychic abilities. This would also explain the "We are Legion" side to them.
Potentially this means they could inhabit the host body, or break it down at the basic DNA level and reconstruct it to their needs. But the latter presupposes they have do indeed have insane biotech skills.

Now THAT is an interesting idea.

The Colonists at Avalon said "We had no idea what they were, until they started working together." “Oh God…they’ve gotten so big…"

Which suggests to me that they seemed rather innocuous to the colonists at first, and then "activated" somehow.

Check this out for the other info we've gathered. http://sots.rorschach.net/Physiology%2C_Zuul
Pro Bono Populi

"I am constant as the northern star..."

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:06 pm

Interesting idea, Erebus. Welcome to the boards! :wink:

Return to “The Races”