Zuul Lane Age/Quality

All things Human, Hiver, Tarka, Liir, Zuul and Morrigi.

Moderator: Erinys

Sentenza

Zuul Lane Age/Quality

Post by Sentenza » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:21 pm

Since Zuul lanes can collapse after 35 ish turns, is there some sort of indication of the age of the lanes?
Also, how do you handle this, truckloads of borers constantly going back and forth? Is there a patrol command? :)

On an unrelated note: Is search on this forum broken? I seem to hardly ever find anything...

On a slightly more related note: If as a Zuul I start using Mining ships, should I spread out my resources amongst the larger planets, or hoard them on the largest? Or just go to the closest to where I'm mining from regardless of Size?

DervMan

Re: Zuul Lane Age/Quality

Post by DervMan » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:25 pm

Yes you can: the Nodelines change through yellow to red, to flashing red, when they're about to collapse.

For the patrol, you have to set it up manually. Hold CTRL down on the keyboard and click at the systems you want the ship to travel between.

When I play as the Zuul, I find that if you're constantly working on your rearward infrastructure, you're almost certainly doing it wrong. The Zuul play best to the thought of what's in front, waiting to be eaten, than what's behind. ;)

That's one reason why I don't play as Zuul often...

Sentenza

Post by Sentenza » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:36 pm

I'm trying to play though the scenarios, failed the first two miserably, but I'm doubting I'll complete this, I really don't like the way Zuul plays.

I just now saw a lane turn yellow, at 40ish turns, does that mean lanes are completely safe until they start flashing red?

Also, should I colonize all planets that don't have prohibitive CHs, even if they're just size 3-4 and <3k resources? I'm not sure if I'm imagining things, but it feels like I'm better at terraforming than as when I played Human...
That might also just be because I crank up the Terraforming slider nowadays :)
The alternative would be operating Mining ships, is that better?

DervMan

Post by DervMan » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:40 pm

Nodespace is never completely safe! Don't look out of the window! ;)

I believe yellow means that the lane is getting unstable and it is about to fail. Red means you're pushing your luck and flashing red means, #busted really. If you're going to send a fleet through Nodespace, best make sure it isn't yellow as it if collapses with a fleet mid-transit, you lose the fleet.

I'm not especially a fan of the Zuul's playstyle as it's all out aggressive. I'm a lazy player: I like to let my Empire settle before going out on the offensive. I wait until I have things in place. With the Zuul, you just throw ships at the enemy, hoping to find somebody like me who is unprepared for your assault.

Quantity has a certain quality of its own. If you can bring treble the number of warships that the enemy has, if you're in the same power era, chances are you'll defeat the enemy...

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:13 pm

Sentenza wrote:I just now saw a lane turn yellow, at 40ish turns, does that mean lanes are completely safe until they start flashing red?

Depends on how many ships you want to send through that yellow line and how fast they can get through it. Sending lots of mass through a line at once is a good way to make it wear down faster. Generally with a small fleet and a relatively short nodeline, yellow should be safe, but it's a good clue that you need to rebore it soon if you want to keep it. (Or you can let it collapse, and then bore a more direct or more useful one.)

Also, should I colonize all planets that don't have prohibitive CHs, even if they're just size 3-4 and <3k resources? I'm not sure if I'm imagining things, but it feels like I'm better at terraforming than as when I played Human...

Zuul are a lot faster at colonizing planets than everyone else in SotS1 (possibly excepting Hiver in some rare cases, and AI rebels.) Partly this is because they have higher natural population growth and tolerance of a wider climate range than any other race. But it's also in part because they can overharvest more, sooner, and get more mileage out of it than any other race, and overharvesting can be a powerful tool to generate I/O on newly established worlds. Nobody else can colonize a new planet and turn it around to build a warfleet as fast as the Zuul, and if they have to strip the world bare to do it... there's usually more worlds around to claim. ;)

The alternative would be operating Mining ships, is that better?

Hivers are the best miners in the game IMHO, but Zuul are pretty close. They can mine more quickly than most other races, and generally they can dump the minerals wherever because a lot of the time they are just going to overharvest them to turn them into a fleet anyway. But I would tend to argue that for Zuul, the real benefit of mining is that it opens the way to mega-strip mining, which skyrockets your ability to overharvest even faster and stand up new colonies at lightning speed.

Note: for all this talk of overharvesting, you may be tempted to think it's all the Zuul do. This is not the case. I would tend to argue that the first thing you need to learn as Zuul is when to overcome any natural disinclination and crank up that overharvest... but the second thing you need to learn is when NOT to.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Sentenza

Post by Sentenza » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:22 pm

Thanks a lot, my questions are answered :)

Return to “The Races”