Escape From Avalon--Part One

All things Human, Hiver, Tarka, Liir, Zuul and Morrigi.

Moderator: Erinys

hargert

Post by hargert » Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:09 am

Maybe they got the idea from the humans but figured out a way to punch holes where they wanted. I am sure that cant be a good thing for the long term but the Zuul dont seem to be the enviromently aware peeps.

Tssha

Post by Tssha » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:25 pm

Of course, for any race to steal much of anything, they have to get there first, get the idea/device/smoking-wreck back to wherever they need to get it back to, i.e. get in, get out, and get rich. With interstellar distances, that means FTL drive. Given that the Humans are the ones being contacted in this scenario, I doubt they waylaid one of our ships in order to get their hands on this tech. Even then, you know how complicated it is to reverse engineer these things...takes years...decades maybe.

On another note, get in, get out, get rich is a mantra most incompetent thieves don't know (and hence why they get caught). If careful planning isn't done for EACH item (including not least of all get rich, since even money isn't liquid enough if it's stolen), then you're going to get caught (or get away with nothing, if you're lucky).
"The glory of friendship is not the outstretched hand, nor the kindly smile nor the joy of companionship; it is the spiritual inspiration that comes to one when he discovers that someone else believes in him and is willing to trust him."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

"In the beginning, there was nothing, which exploded." -Terry Pratchett

hargert

Post by hargert » Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:00 pm

True but all it takes is for one human scout to go to the wrong world and get nabbed and bingo the clock starts ticking until they figure it out and proceed to start strip mining world after world.

Tssha

Post by Tssha » Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:12 pm

Yes, I considered that, hence the decades thing. Still, I'm not completely ruling it out (since Arinn could override me at any moment), just calling it extremely unlikely.

Besides, picking apart one scout ship isn't guaranteed to bring you insight into a usable drive tech. If that were so, we'd be hyperspacing to Mars on our plundered Roswell tech. :P
"The glory of friendship is not the outstretched hand, nor the kindly smile nor the joy of companionship; it is the spiritual inspiration that comes to one when he discovers that someone else believes in him and is willing to trust him."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

"In the beginning, there was nothing, which exploded." -Terry Pratchett

zanzibar196
Note: Not A Moderator

Post by zanzibar196 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:11 pm

Tssha wrote:Yes, I considered that, hence the decades thing. Still, I'm not completely ruling it out (since Arinn could override me at any moment), just calling it extremely unlikely.

Besides, picking apart one scout ship isn't guaranteed to bring you insight into a usable drive tech. If that were so, we'd be hyperspacing to Mars on our plundered Roswell tech. :P

Well, since officially the roswell incident never happened, and the gov't. wants you to believe that aliens from other planets don't exist... I seriously doubt they would suddenly make it public. :twisted:

Golden Yak

Post by Golden Yak » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:21 pm

The Zuul could have all kinds of crazy toys to play with. Not just from the races we know about, but from others we don't.
Nerts to this space-crap!

erdrik

Post by erdrik » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:43 pm

the Zuul are a biologicly engineered race looking for "The Great Masters", right? Seems to me they reverse engineered the tunnel drive from a tech that their Great Masters had. It doesn't even necissarily have to be an engine tech... Maybe they just use it as one.

Sevain

Post by Sevain » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:48 am

Great Master #1: "The way the Zuul creations constantly whimper about Great Masters this and Great Master that got on my nerves. And that horrible constant blood thirst! Good thing the Greatest Master decided to leave them stranded on the Planet X! Are you sure, Great Master #2, that we didn't forget anything on the planet that could allow them to follow us?"

Great Master #2: "Absolutely. We stripped every scientific instrument, every piece of advanced technology and most of all anything star drive related from the planet. They have no way to follow us."

Great Master #1: "Excellent. Let the Daisy Drive take us away from this horrible place. Maybe our next attempt at obedient and peaceful daisy farmers is more succesful than this shameful failure of the Zuul."

Meanwhile on the planet surface a Zuul has discovered a pile of toasters left behind by the Great Masters. Ten years later first Zuul vessel leaves the solar system in search for the Great Masters, with thousand slaves tirelessly turning handle connected to a generator to supply the Tunnel Drive with power.

erdrik

Post by erdrik » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:50 pm

lol :lol:

...but then, who said the "Great Masters" left willingly?
I remember some forumites making connections to the Sul'ka(sp?).
Im not sure that is right, but I get the feeling the "Great Masters" were partialy or completly wiped out by either a massive disaster, or maybe unintentionaly by the Zuul themselves...

The Captain

Post by The Captain » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:47 pm

Some people have suggested that human beings need a sense of higher purpose in order to function, be it a God, a faith, a political creed, a unifying ideal or whatever you will. Perhaps this is a vein that runs in common among all sentient species. It could be argued that such a concept would be a defining factor of sentience itself, something that would separate a thinking being from a machine or an animal. Perhaps these "Great Masters" in designing the Zuul realized that if they wished to reach the degree of intelligence and cunning that they wanted in their creation they would have to somehow fill this hole in the Zuul's consciousness. It would seem logical that they might set themselves up as gods, as the goal for which their creation would strive and continue to exist. Maybe the Great Masters never "disappeared" at all. Maybe they simply stepped out of the way and allowed the Zuul to begin doing what they had been designed to do; searching for the "Masters" whom could very well be right under their noses the whole time, and in so doing fulfilling the mysterious will of those same masters.
In other words a race technologically powerful enough to create a whole species from scratch (this may not have been the case, they may well of 'evolvificated' a lower life form, but lets consider they did it from scratch for the sake of argument) I imagine would pull no stops and leave no part out, they would be comprehensive and ingenious in their design, in this case meaning they would program in the needed higher purpose to keep their little minions sufficiently motivated.

Sneaky damned xenos... :wink:
When questioning whether or not planetary genocide is justifyable, remember the wisdom of Fleet Admiral Prescott TFN:
The best option is ALWAYS the Shiva Option!

igotsmeakabob!!

Post by igotsmeakabob!! » Sun May 13, 2007 8:56 pm

Wow. Just wow. I finished reading the three-parter, it was great writing. I got a bit o' the chills from the Zuul... phew. I also like the main character. Woo. Great job. Can't wait for frikkin' Born of Blood!

Boomer

Post by Boomer » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:53 am

Minor nitpick.

Although granted, the warrior culture of earth was effectively disbanded till the first hivers showed up, currently, calling a Marine a "soldier" is an insult. A Marine is a Marine. A soldier is a member of the army.

Not sure if you care, just fyi. Kinda thing Marines tend to get all prickly about, and a pilot who hangs around modern day Marines wouldn't call em soldiers unless it was meant to be an intentional insult.

Also, great writing. I missed this forum. :-)
Boomer

"ΜΟΛΩÎ

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:08 pm

Boomer wrote:Minor nitpick.

Although granted, the warrior culture of earth was effectively disbanded till the first hivers showed up, currently, calling a Marine a "soldier" is an insult. A Marine is a Marine. A soldier is a member of the army.

In SolForce terms, there is absolutely no difference between the two. The SolForce Marines are the only ground-walking forces known to the human race.

If they aren't soldiers, no one is. ;)

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

Return to “The Races”