Escape From Avalon--Part One

All things Human, Hiver, Tarka, Liir, Zuul and Morrigi.

Moderator: Erinys

Querente

Post by Querente » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:01 pm

Those babies had big teeth already to be simply fetusses or something. The critters eating from the belly were well-developed for new-born..able to use the body for cover as well, as well as eating out of it.

Either they are just nasty critters and their survival-instinct kicked in to eat out of their own mother....or they are actually two seperate species, one which eat the other. Or they are simply canabals and give their dead to their young :)

patton1942

Post by patton1942 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:03 pm

Or the ship crashed because its pilot was being eaten by a completely NEW alien species, that is chasing the displaced Zuul. (they could be called the Gozar, or even Stay'puft)

Just a thought. maybe some crazy resource depletion because we're being chased by these crazy alien face hugger thingies.

Or its a biological weapon, implant bodies w/ these things, launch them at a planet, the new alien hunters hatch and do their thing.

Or maybe something else entirely.
Mecron on Rebellions: "hell no, we won't go!" becomes "Holy crap! We don't wanna glow!"
Here be pirates

zerocold

Post by zerocold » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:06 am

when i read first about the zuuls , i though, ok religious guys, maybe a new dimension in the game, colony happiness and faith, maybe zuuls "prophets" that could make you trouble controlling some colonies, or spaceships with poor tech but high and brutal morale - with the possibility to train zealots as resource in diverse planets as part of a effective stealth-"terrorist"-kamikaze tactic, but it seems that religion mean nothing in the gameplay...or im wrong?

now with the other pic in which shown some kind of bio-cybernetic creature with the zuul skull,... that could mean that the "zuul" arent a race but a civilization composed by different races -or experimental genetic races came from an ancient civilization- linked together by the religion, so the super-bear-weasels are the "fighters" race of the zuul, as others concentrate on technology, philosophy, etc...actuallu zuul could mean somethig with their religion

i mean..... corpses, slaves, bloodthisty weasels, these guys are space the incarnation of evil??? :shock:

Coyote27

Post by Coyote27 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:09 am

I think you need to expand your definition of "religion" ... not all of them are about redemption and happy cuddly angels. Fhtagn!
"In the absence of any orders, go find something and kill it." -Erwin Rommel

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:10 am

one being's religion is ALWAYS some other being's definition of evil sooner or later. :wink:

Ante Priore Wangum

Post by Avatar_Squadron » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:13 am

Parallel the Zuul with Crusaders and maybe you get a better idea of their mindset... except this time the crusaders dont know where the holy land is.
"May Server watch over us, protect us, and guide our smart munitions"

Baldrick

Post by Baldrick » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:27 am

well.. cant you say.. the holy land is that way! *point* and they will... bugger off? lol

Blazer
Zuul Survivor
Zuul Survivor

Post by Blazer » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:28 am

zerocold wrote:wwith the possibility to train zealots as resource in diverse planets

Zerocold, buddy... what game have you been playing?

The only unit production that you have to play with is colony based production of ships. There are no citizen sized units... what on Earth would make you think the Zuul could train a Zealot any more than a Hiver colony can spit out a prince?

Sure you can fluff some stuff up and say that Zuul CnC ships are captained by the Zuul with the most zeal, but that's gotta be almost it.

I don't mean to come across as rude, but wha?!?
Pro Bono Populi

"I am constant as the northern star..."

zerocold

Post by zerocold » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:31 am

well, the reasons of the holy wars always were more about economics or politics, for example the crusades were done because the fear of the pope for the increase of political power in medieval knights, so the pope/church was happy to use some stupid zealots to start all that -i mean..... support :wink: :wink: -, the crusades wasnt a religion war, but a economic politic one -is more/less in modern times when some zealots talk about a christian/muslim conflict, when in fact that concept is being used to the energetic/resources control conflict-

but not always religion means chaos and decadency, thats because us in occident know about the medieval europe and the general decadency at that age, but in the other hand the muslims miss a true teocracy, because that was their brightest age in their civilization -and thats the reason why the religion things are so important to them-

zealots are stupid, no doubt, but not evil, the "evil" use the stupidity for their purposes
Last edited by zerocold on Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Coyote27

Post by Coyote27 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:41 am

Also, Zealots don't require any vespene gas to produce.
"In the absence of any orders, go find something and kill it." -Erwin Rommel

Konrad

Post by Konrad » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:41 am

I still see the Zuul as Reaver (in firefly/serenity) like rather than Crusader. They don't have any specific holy/divine cause to start with. If the Zuul were aiming at assimilation or cleansing in the name of their faith, that would be crusader like. Instead they use slaves for boosting their production or as livestocks. But then again, seeing Zuul as occult society seems relevant.

As for whatever critters that burst out like alien from the carcass. It would be interesting if it were Zuul's fetus/babies. Now that is a dark, very dark and twisted alien race indeed! :D

I like the idea that the babies/fetus/whatever-it-is clawed their way through their dead mother/host in order to survive. Killer premature babies ftw!!

zerocold

Post by zerocold » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:45 am

Blazer

i mean the concept of the zealothry and devotion, maybe well developed planets could generate some ammount of zealots, so you can move them on less deveoped planets, to increase the produccion or defences, of course high quantities of zealots in your great planets could be a trouble :wink:

or maybe you can use them to turn in missionaries, that , if reach an enemy planet -supposing that the missionary ship isnt destroyed, they could start a secret cult, that slowly could reduce the defense, steal production or turn in double nationality that planet

and of course if you have more zealots you can increase the production of kamikazes :wink:

Konrad

Post by Konrad » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:51 am

Missionaries with claw that can shred your body with ease, able to read your mind or telepathically communicate, and the size of a warrior hiver. That would go well if the alien colonist (non-zuul) isn't intimidated by their physical appearance.

From what I've read in Avalon incident, the "missionaries" seems quite brutal toward the colony they usurped...

Blazer
Zuul Survivor
Zuul Survivor

Post by Blazer » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:00 am

Before we spin waaaaay out of control and off topic, Ill just say this.

SotS is not the game where a you build a structure and the structure builds a unit. You design and order the construction of ships and platforms... that's it.
The game does not allow anyone to create singular and specific unit type outside of this system.

The way the Zuul get slaves is by sending their specially designed ships to a planet to reap them. Then they deposit them on a fortress world, and you micromanage that world.

You're suggesting a unit that would make things more efficient, and just as Coyote was suggesting, it sounds an awful lot like fleet commanders from SW:EaW.

This is not that game. :)
Pro Bono Populi

"I am constant as the northern star..."

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:01 am

Zero...yes...and then if you produce enough zealots the game changes title screens to Civilization. :P

Not every religion is hot for new converts. Some were just hot for everyone else to know their place and serve the big picture. Often that big picture was "Chosen of God= In charge"..."everyone not in the club=slave".

Points to Konrad...they are a very dark and twisted race indeed :wink:
Last edited by Mecron on Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The Races”