Escape From Avalon--Part One

All things Human, Hiver, Tarka, Liir, Zuul and Morrigi.

Moderator: Erinys

Golden Yak

Post by Golden Yak » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:02 am

Konrad wrote:From what I've read in Avalon incident, the "missionaries" seems quite brutal toward the colony they usurped...

Recall specifically what they did to the human place of worship, and the worshippers therein. Clearly, not a religion big on tolerating someone else's point of view.
Nerts to this space-crap!

Konrad

Post by Konrad » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:22 am

Golden Yak wrote:Recall specifically what they did to the human place of worship, and the worshippers therein. Clearly, not a religion big on tolerating someone else's point of view.

Indeed, after knowing what happened to converted Tarkas and the human missionaries in "Incident at Ko'Rappa". I still not convinced that the Zuul have those whole Crusader thingy on them.

Incident at Avalon wrote:My name is Legion, it teased, mocking. For we are many. Oh but do come back, Cai Rui. For you have seen such things…and I am so very hungry.

A race that sees the universe as a big farm! :D

Dire Wombat

Post by Dire Wombat » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:01 am

I'm still most fascinated by Zuul biology, since after the comprehensive writeups on the other races I know that it's all been worked out. My thinking on their birthing process (and this seems to dovetail with what Mecron's been saying) is that they can probably give birth as mammals do; they do look like mammals (which obviously doesn't necessarily mean anything), they appear (from what little we've seen) to have small litter sizes, and their females appear to be large, fully-developed members of the species, all of which sort of argue against "lethal auto-caesarean" as the standard delivery method. I suspect that they would normally give birth with less deleterious effects on the mother, but that under certain circumstances (apparently, at least when the mother dies) viable young can free themselves in a fairly gory fashion.

Edit: I kind of wonder if they have some similarities to terrestrial marsupials, for which the young move to an external pouch when they reach a certain level of development, where they can continue to develop to a significant extent. Obviously in the case of the Zuul, such a secondary stage of gestation for viable young wouldn't be in an external pouch, since the newborns in the story had to burrow their way out. But the fact that Zuul females (or just Zuul if they're hermaphrodites/asexual and the marine's assessment was wrong) can carry within their bodies young that are sufficiently developed to claw/bite their way into the world where they can then survive on their own makes me wonder if they have some sort of roughly analogous specialized gestation.

I was also wondering how the young would sense that it was necessary to "deliver" themselves like those in the story, but then I remembered that Zuul are telepathic. :oops: They could have all sorts of biological triggers, delivered consciously or unconsciously, that are just not available to Earth species.

Sevain

Post by Sevain » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:32 pm

Is there a limit to the evil of the ZUUUUL? Not killing their mothers on birth would suggest so, but I doubt it. :)

On a more serious note I think that for them you are unimportant. A minor detail. All that matters is finding the Great Masters. So you have a world and you shoot when the Zuul come to see if their Great Masters are there? The world must be destroyed! And now that the charred remains of your world are sorted through (in case one of the Great Masters was to be found in them), you seem to be able to use machinery. Would you use Zuul machinery to help the Zuul to find the Great Masters? No? The Zuul will kill you if you don't. Oh now you want to help them, yes? Looks like your species makes good slaves to help Zuul find the Great Masters. Send out enslavement fleets to get more of these useful slaves to help Zuul find Great Masters.

There isn't actual malice, as such, towards you and your species. You just are more useful as slaves than free aliens. Or atleast that is my theory on Zuul and slaves. Anywhere close to the Real Thing?

Jonny

Post by Jonny » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:53 pm

The "My name is Legion" quote makes me wonder if the Zuul are a telepathic hive mind, rather than individuals. It would explain why they don't seem to care about individual suffering and why their young would tear themselves out of their parents. Not being individuals they wouldn't strictly speaking be parent and child as much as cells in an organism.

But then again, I'm sure Arinn said somewhere she thought Hive minds were overdone in Sci-Fi, so maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree.

Konrad

Post by Konrad » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:49 pm

I don't think Zuul are hive minded/collective. Because it refer for itself not in unison. Having told "My name.." is seem more individual rather than "We are..." which is likely to indicate collectivity.

But then again... the Zuul could refer "My" to represent the whole of it's kind. Because of this line "For we are many"

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 pm

Telepaths tend to be more inclusive and knowledge sharing amongst members even WITHOUT being a hive mind.

The Captain

Post by The Captain » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:52 pm

Hmm...
Perhaps I am mistaken, or perhaps I misunderstood and missed critical details, but is it possible the crash of the Zuul slave vessel/craft/pod was unintentional?

I mean, we know there is or was some kind of fur-ball (no pun intended) going on in orbit where Zuul ships jumped a Sol-Force cruiser, right? It stands to reason then that the valiant sailors on said vessel would have resolved to try to take one or two of the vile monsters with them before their ticked got punched, certainly in hopes of buying any time they could for the people they knew were on the ground.

Is it then possible this crash was a Zuul vessel whom got picked off by Sol-Force guns before the cruiser's demise and crash landed, and that the dying Zuul we see on the ground might be dying from its wounds and the "parasite children" we see popping from its belly are in fact some kind of inbred Zuul trait that is part of their biology where children know to burst from their dying parents, or perhaps all Zuul are born "pregnant" and when you kill one, more can spring from its corpse? It certainly would make them hard to eradicate (something that would be intentionally placed in a race designed for interstellar warfare), and an embryonic stage of some kind could easily be harnessed for both this defensive purpose and for the offensive purpose of infiltrating a planet before the slaver host arrives to eh...gather up the goods.

I'm probably dead wrong, but if you hold down the trigger long enough you might just have a shot strike home...
When questioning whether or not planetary genocide is justifyable, remember the wisdom of Fleet Admiral Prescott TFN:
The best option is ALWAYS the Shiva Option!

Blazer
Zuul Survivor
Zuul Survivor

Post by Blazer » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:41 pm

Mecron wrote:bingo :wink: Now where did that rainforest go? Look more closely at the planet and realize the bright orange parts are fires :twisted:

The old world will burn in the fires of industry. Forests will fall. A new order will rise. We will drive the machine of war with the sword and the spear and the iron fist of the Zuul.

;)
Pro Bono Populi

"I am constant as the northern star..."

Golden Yak

Post by Golden Yak » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:08 pm

@ The Captain - I think it's unlikely. It'd be quite a coincidence that all of the ships that were downed just happened to be stocked to the gills with slaves. Recall this part of the story:

---
She shuddered. “What the hell did they crash all those ships for? It must have been at least four went down—that can’t have been an accident.â€
Nerts to this space-crap!

Sevain

Post by Sevain » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:47 pm

Maybe not. Perhaps that particular "slave pod ejector" suffered damage from the battle with the human cruiser and all other "slave pods" landed smoothly. Maybe unexpected planetary conditions caused a crash landing. Maybe the Zuul just aren't good pilots... There are many things that could go wrong in a drop like that (the fate of the other "pods" is not described in the story), so I think it is plausible to think it wasn't intentional. Or more properly I don't see any reason not to believe so (beyond the fact that the Zuul are "evil", of course).

Blazer
Zuul Survivor
Zuul Survivor

Post by Blazer » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:09 pm

Sevain, you're reaching too hard my friend. That line that GY quoted is there for a reason. If we had been meant to infer that they were accidentally crashed the character dialogue would have reflected something a little more accidental.
Pro Bono Populi

"I am constant as the northern star..."

erdrik

Post by erdrik » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:39 pm

Or the character could be wrong. Its not like Solforce Soldiers already know everything about Zuul. Isn't that the reason they went? To find out more about the Slaver-Zuul connection, and any details about a possible new enemy?

Sevain

Post by Sevain » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:39 pm

Could be, could be. Or it could be saved for Escape from Avalon part 2 as a mysterious plot point. I just feel there is no reason to presume either accidental nor intentional bad landing.

patton1942

Post by patton1942 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:09 am

While it is wise to keep in mind that we DON'T know for sure which one it is, accidental or intentional, it seems like a pretty safe bet to go w/ "intentional" and keep in the back of our minds, we have no real proof other than context of the story.

Which is usually a pretty good option, as the stories have been very well done by professionals, not amatures who tend to make mistakes in wording. So far the stories have made liberal use of foreshadowing, and have avoided excessive misdirection.
Mecron on Rebellions: "hell no, we won't go!" becomes "Holy crap! We don't wanna glow!"
Here be pirates

Return to “The Races”