Escape From Avalon, Part Two

All things Human, Hiver, Tarka, Liir, Zuul and Morrigi.

Moderator: Erinys

gaping_maw

Post by gaping_maw » Sat May 19, 2007 4:10 pm

nice work on the background story gear!

and

Wow, some people here scare me.
Activision is the Devil. Oh wait, it is 2013 and I don't have a current Devil assigned yet...

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Sat May 19, 2007 7:00 pm

Psymon wrote:I'd like to thank Arinn for teaching us all how to say "You and what army, bitch?" in Latin.

You're welcome. :P

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

Blazer
Zuul Survivor
Zuul Survivor

Post by Blazer » Sun May 20, 2007 2:29 am

Superb.
Pro Bono Populi

"I am constant as the northern star..."

patton1942

Post by patton1942 » Sun May 20, 2007 4:05 am

Cicero 43 BC - I hadn't noticed that until you said something. Nice catch Psymon, and very nice indeed, Arinn.

Why Cicero's death. Is Cai Rui a Octavian (Agustus Ceaser) fan, making him a dictator type, or is it he's a fan of Cicero, who opposed Agustus and Marc Antony.

The story, as usal, brings up interesting questions.

Why Grubs, I wonder. What kind of animal digs for grubs? not a wolf, a bear maybe. Flattened skulls, the feedback on telepathy. Perhaps surface commands (pull the trigger) don't require very deep contact. Maybe a quick burst command like FIRE and then release doesn't have feedback. Perhaps its prolonged contact w/ one mind that gives the feedback. Perhaps its communication (does your average Zuul speak latin?)

I'm personally going to vote for the "suggestion" not control. Zuul implanted the suggestion that made the guy fire. Something like, "they're all Zuul, KILL THEM" and then left it rattling around his brain, rather then the more direct control of each movement of the subject.

As to male / female: Are there any animals that have the women do the hunting and fighting rather than the males?
Mecron on Rebellions: "hell no, we won't go!" becomes "Holy crap! We don't wanna glow!"
Here be pirates

Kaorti

Post by Kaorti » Sun May 20, 2007 4:28 am

lionesses do the hunting in a pride of lions I believe.
Erinys gave me an E-Cookie! Yay!
For those arranging games: I'm on GMT -5

Hans Lemurson

Post by Hans Lemurson » Sun May 20, 2007 8:44 am

I don't think the Zuul telepathy is so much "suggestion" or other forms of mental trickery, as it is, as has been said, compulsion.

Probably something like:
"You will obey me. You do not resist me...you cannot resist. You are tired... You weaken... You falter... You let go...and slip into my grasp. You do not escape my hold; ...you are mine." :twisted:
-OMNES CORAM LEMURE CEDITE-
:idea: Just like the wOmBaT which ever yet continues climbing the Karakorums in vain, so indeed is absurdism a way of life. :idea:
(Timed Notes,)

Hunpecked

Post by Hunpecked » Sun May 20, 2007 7:33 pm

Do we know the voice in Cai Rui's mind is male?
"If there's one thing I can't stand, it's intolerance!" -- Me

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Sun May 20, 2007 9:14 pm

Where are you going, Cai Rui? You cannot hide in the mountain. My women will dig you out like a grub if they must.

The way the speaker objectifies the female Zuul he commands / controls implies that the speaker is male. It's not proof, but I imagine if the speaker were female she would says something like 'my sisters will dig you out' instead.

Kaorti

Post by Kaorti » Sun May 20, 2007 9:23 pm

I dont think so, from what we know about how the Zuul objectify everyone, it seems like the speaker could just as well be female. Also, if a large portion of Zuul fighters are female, "women" could be the martial collective term, in a similar manner to "men" today.
Erinys gave me an E-Cookie! Yay!
For those arranging games: I'm on GMT -5

Sevain

Post by Sevain » Sun May 20, 2007 9:24 pm

Well, there have been some hints that they might as well be objects from the Zuul leaders perspective.

Psymon
Zuul Survivor
Zuul Survivor

Post by Psymon » Sun May 20, 2007 10:09 pm

Ugh, listening to you guys speculate about Zuul society is causing me pain. I know the answers, but despite my values of altruism and generally being nice, I have signed an NDA and can't tell you. I just have to hold out until release, then I can spill the beans...

Man, it's weird being on his side of 'what is going on?' debate.
Ernest Hemingway once said the world is a good place and worth fighting for. I agree with the latter sentiment.

igotsmeakabob!!

Post by igotsmeakabob!! » Mon May 21, 2007 6:41 am

God DAMN this is some great stuff. Thank you. God damn.
-I play Liir. What can I say, I'm a blaspheming rebel.
-Don't put your trust in revolutions. They always come around again. That's why they're called revolutions. People die, and nothing changes.
-Civilization is like a herd of pigs. The herd brings many benefits, but no one should wonder at all the sh*t.
-How do they rise up?

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue May 22, 2007 6:54 pm

psymon...welcome to my world. :P

Les

Post by Les » Tue May 22, 2007 10:55 pm

You have to remember that Cai Rui is not and never was a Zuul Slave, though not for lack of trying. I can imagine that digging one's telepathic tendrils into someone's juicy brain-meats can be a rather 'intimate' form of contact, so much so that the subject suddenly experincing a bout of eye-searing pain would tingle most un-plesantly.

Once a subject's will is fully counterveaned however, it's probably more like, "Push Neuron X, Slave performs task Y." Without all those nasty feedback issues. If the slave suffers a terminal episode as a result why not just let them have their minds back just in time to go, "What the Hell was I.... *Gak!*"

That's what makes sense to me so far anyway. :P

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Wed May 23, 2007 12:37 am

Excellent deduction, Les. :)

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

Return to “The Races”