Escape From Avalon, Part Two

All things Human, Hiver, Tarka, Liir, Zuul and Morrigi.

Moderator: Erinys

Les

Post by Les » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:49 pm

Sounds a bit more reasonable. The biggest concern with the size of the ammunition isn't recoil, it's weight. They have .50 calibur/12.7mm rounds designed for rifles the size of the AR-15/M-16 available now (Though the cartridge is much shorter and sleaker than the .50 BMG round used in Anti-Material rifles and 'Ma-Deuce', shooting bullets shaped more like pistol bullets than rifle bullets i.e. short and stubby.), they're mostly used by sportsmen to hunt large and dangerous game like bears and wild pigs at relatively close range.... and the same-size magazine that'd hold 30 rounds of NATO-standard 5.56mm holds maybe 7-8 rounds of these pig-killers. :P

To carry a reasonable combat-load of ammo on such a weapon would require some ammount of up-scaling, to carry THREE reasonabe combat-loads and the mechanical systems to switch between them would require an even large ammount of up-scaling to the weapon. Then there's the weight of all the spare magazines to consider. I can see this 'rifle' being more of a crew-served weapon for un-powered infantry. :)

..and yes, I know way more than I should about military hardware.. it's scary. :oops:

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:54 pm

Boomer wrote:Oh, and loved the description of the personal surveillance drones from Incident at Avalon. You going with nanoswarms, or is nanotech too advanced for SotS cannon?

There is some microengineering involved in the building of the drones, but they are not the size of single-celled organisms. They're roughly the size of a wasp, and a standard suit carries a pack of twelve slaved to the helmet.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

Psymon
Zuul Survivor
Zuul Survivor

Post by Psymon » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:17 pm

So these guns can riddle an enemy with holes, blow fairly large holes in them for good measure and then set fire to what's left? I like it :twisted:
Ernest Hemingway once said the world is a good place and worth fighting for. I agree with the latter sentiment.

Return to “The Races”