Rendezvous at Ke'Vanthu

All things Human, Hiver, Tarka, Liir, Zuul and Morrigi.

Moderator: Erinys

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Sat May 26, 2007 7:17 pm

Slasher wrote:Just on a curious nitpicky note. Is the whole room Cai Rui wakes up in flooded with Ozone or do they just have some really bright lights in there?

The whiff of ozone is one of the hints that the Liir is in the room, although out of sight. His landsuit releases a minute amount of ozone along with oxygen as part of its scrubbing mechanism.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

Slasher
Platinum Post

Post by Slasher » Sat May 26, 2007 8:18 pm

Ah. Another reason to hate Liir. Their suits polute the air with toxic chemicals, if only for a short while before the Ozone breaks down...

Grendal

Post by Grendal » Sun May 27, 2007 12:01 am

Another really great addition to the story Arinn, some questions from the last story answered while more are raised. Simply magnificent storytelling as always.
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
[In regione caecorum rex est luscus.]
Desiderius Erasmus, Adagia (III, IV, 96)

Sevain

Post by Sevain » Sun May 27, 2007 1:00 am

A story like this is the perfect way to start a Saturday. Thank you!

patton1942

Post by patton1942 » Sun May 27, 2007 2:38 am

Simply Awesome, Arinn.
Mecron on Rebellions: "hell no, we won't go!" becomes "Holy crap! We don't wanna glow!"
Here be pirates

The Magus
Doomsayer

Post by The Magus » Sun May 27, 2007 3:54 am

Thanks, Ms. Dembo! It really adds to the flavor to keep reading these :)
The teacher cut in smoothly, "Yes, of course. SolForce never fails to remind us how necessary they are to our...'survival'. ... It amazes me that the human race ever managed to exist, before you lot came along."

Cai Rui smiled thinly. "What amazes me is how quickly the human race could cease to exist, if we were gone."

--The Deacon's Tale

Ante Priore Wangum

Post by Avatar_Squadron » Sun May 27, 2007 5:53 am

Awesome arinn. Way to work in details about inter-species relations and such... quite interesting that.

Question on Sara's speech... she calls Cai "Caido" and "Cai-do." Is this something unique to sara or a tarkasian naming honorific... much like the japanese -san and -kun (or if she is trying to be playful, -chan)?
"May Server watch over us, protect us, and guide our smart munitions"

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Sun May 27, 2007 6:46 am

"Do" is a suffix that indicates intimacy and affection, in the Tarka language. Cai Rui also uses the feminine equivalent, which is "dora", when addressing Sara.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

Psymon
Zuul Survivor
Zuul Survivor

Post by Psymon » Sun May 27, 2007 10:47 am

Awesome story, if I didn't already know a fair bit about the Zuul, I would be extremely tantalised. I like the way inter-species relationships are dealt with. Are Ishii's personality traits common to all the Drowned or just her?

And I've heard of a Zuul named 'Deacon' before. I wonder if this is the same one...

If so, you guys may just find out a bit about where they come from.
Ernest Hemingway once said the world is a good place and worth fighting for. I agree with the latter sentiment.

patton1942

Post by patton1942 » Sun May 27, 2007 10:14 pm

shush you. Don't spoil it :p

Right now, I've got a few ideas, some good, most are pretty off the wall kind of bad. I'm enjoying the moment.
Mecron on Rebellions: "hell no, we won't go!" becomes "Holy crap! We don't wanna glow!"
Here be pirates

Steve

Post by Steve » Sun May 27, 2007 10:57 pm

So when do we get to see a Hiver in the mix? Surely the humans or tarkas have hiver allies who would be interested to learn about the encounter with the Zuul.

baelthazar

Post by baelthazar » Sun May 27, 2007 11:25 pm

Hey Steve! (gratuitious Strong Bad reference)

Hiver catholics... gives "eating the Host" a whole new meaning...

Ms. Dembo, first rate work, as always! Can't wait until the next installment! When I see anything named "Deacon" in-game, I'll probably squeal with horror/delight. Maybe my first game will be human (Cai) in a universe that definately has at least 1 Zuul player...

Bael

Rorschach
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Rorschach » Sun May 27, 2007 11:34 pm

Steve wrote:So when do we get to see a Hiver in the mix? Surely the humans or tarkas have hiver allies who would be interested to learn about the encounter with the Zuul.

I'd think the humans are still bitter about the hiver attack. Probably less interaction with them than the tarkas or liir.

the_ubernoob
Zuul Survivor
Zuul Survivor

Post by the_ubernoob » Mon May 28, 2007 1:07 am

Either that or the nearest allied hiver gateship still has 15 years before it reaches a human/tarka world.
"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout."
-parody of the litany of command

Blazer
Zuul Survivor
Zuul Survivor

Post by Blazer » Mon May 28, 2007 2:01 am

If it were me they wouldn't be putting a gate anywhere near my system. Something tells me that the Hivers are at a real disadvantage when it comes to interspecies interaction. Essentially relying on the other races to initiate the contact so that they don't have to schlep at sub relativistic speeds.
Pro Bono Populi

"I am constant as the northern star..."

Return to “The Races”