The Zuul

All things Human, Hiver, Tarka, Liir, Zuul and Morrigi.

Moderator: Erinys

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Re: The Zuul

Post by ZedF » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:07 pm

Did he have help? 8)
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:10 pm

Actually, he didn't need it. It became clear in retrospect that he had never been a prisoner.

He was a penitent, which is a rather different thing.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:20 pm

So he didn't escape Solforce captivity because he wasn't really captive... and I suppose by the time he decided it was time to leave, Solforce didn't have a good reason to need/want him to stay so badly they'd risk using force? Is that correct?
Zed's TARs (sample):

The Apprentice

Post by The Apprentice » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:35 pm

I see Erinys answer above as indicating that the Deacon was never a prisoner because he could escape/leave at any time, not because SolForce wasn't trying to contain him.
Hence, his remaining in any kind of captivity was an act of penance. When the Deacon felt it was time to leave, he left, regardless of what SolForce might have wished- which accounts for the "in retrospect" part.

Obv., I could be wrong, but doesn't it make sense?
Feel free to call me App- it's shorter.

patton1942

Post by patton1942 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:03 pm

ZedF wrote:So he didn't escape Solforce captivity because he wasn't really captive... and I suppose by the time he decided it was time to leave, Solforce didn't have a good reason to need/want him to stay so badly they'd risk using force? Is that correct?

I was thinking something more along the lines of he CHOSE to stay with SolForce and chose to leave. They simply were unable to stop him.

As to screamers / Suul'ka I'm starting to think that the Screamers might be the great shame of the Morri and the Suul'ka remain the actual Suul'ka.
Mecron on Rebellions: "hell no, we won't go!" becomes "Holy crap! We don't wanna glow!"
Here be pirates

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:08 pm

Yeah, that's a very possible interpretation as well.

OTOH, I tend to think that SolForce could have killed the Deacon if they'd wanted to. They'd have known enough about him by then and would have had experience fighting Zuul, plus Cai Rui's debriefing, etc. Problem is, a reformed Deacon is no good to anyone dead, and the cost in SolForce lives would have been unjustifiable. Better to just let him go once they've learned what they needed to know, and hope he did some good, perhaps.
Zed's TARs (sample):

Eleahen
Doomsayer

Post by Eleahen » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:01 am

I wonder... Deacon was already old during events of The Deacon's Tale.

How much time did it take to cause significant split in the Zuul society?
Or did SolForce alter his metabolism somehow? Or was it Liir?

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:10 am

I assume that the Deacon had just enough life left to gather a couple disciples and pass on the replacement racial memory that Ishii showed him, but I imagine the Liir might have altered his metabolism. I don't really see SolForce having the knowhow for that.
Zed's TARs (sample):

patton1942

Post by patton1942 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:52 am

Old by Zuul standards had more to do with their average lifespan before being betrayed and ripped by younger Zuul and less to do with the actual lifespan of the race. IE: Most Zuul died repetitively young, was my interpretation.

If were able to 'teach' his followers or other zuul, then that constant infighting wouldn't be taking place, greatly extending his lifespan compared to an average Zuul.
Mecron on Rebellions: "hell no, we won't go!" becomes "Holy crap! We don't wanna glow!"
Here be pirates

Golden Yak

Post by Golden Yak » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:01 pm

I'd say the Apprentice has it right. Deacon was an inquisitor. He probably coerced the entire facility into opening the door for him. Humans being humans, I doubt they'd have let him escape... if it were up to them.

patton1942 wrote:Old by Zuul standards had more to do with their average lifespan before being betrayed and ripped by younger Zuul and less to do with the actual lifespan of the race. IE: Most Zuul died repetitively young, was my interpretation.

I read it as Zuul burning out under the stress of their modified metabolism - they don't sleep and they feed ravenously. I recall reading somewhere that a Zuul's abilities tend to increase with age right until his final moments.
Nerts to this space-crap!

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:22 pm

The Deacon should have died within a few years in captivity, of old age. He was already in his early 40's when captured. But he was alive and had not visibly aged any further when he escaped from captivity, many years later.

As to his escape...SolForce was certainly holding him in what they considered high security. They simply had no idea the degree to which his remaining in their custody was...optional.

When he decided it was time to go, he went. There were no deaths or injuries. He had been gone for over 72 hours before his absence was even reported. By then he was already a "guest" aboard one of dozens of ships which had come and gone from Sol system in those three days; it was never possible to fully say which one. Conflicting reports of his whereabouts kept SolForce Intelligence running around in circles for several months thereafter, but the Deacon was never caught.

--Arinn
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

nickersonm

Post by nickersonm » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:22 pm

Erinys wrote:As to his escape...SolForce was certainly holding him in what they considered high security. They simply had no idea the degree to which his remaining in their custody was...optional.

That level of ability makes me feel sorry for my poor researchers working on Dominate Zuul :(.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:27 pm

Obviously by that point the Deacon was no longer what one might consider an ordinary Zuul; if he were he would have died long since. ;)
Zed's TARs (sample):

Naja
Doomsayer

Post by Naja » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:48 pm

Here's something I've been curious about. According to Arinn, the Zuul (prior to SOTSII) lived in constant spiritual pain due to being separate from the Great Masters.

Now that the gods have returned in SOTSII, what do the orthodox Zuul "feel" now that their gods are present again, and part of their daily lives? Spiritual giddiness?

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Thu May 19, 2011 3:27 am

Naja wrote:Now that the gods have returned in SOTSII, what do the orthodox Zuul "feel" now that their gods are present again, and part of their daily lives? Spiritual giddiness?

Joy. Terror. Awe. Love. Submission. Vindication. Triumph.

--Arinn

P.S. And yes, the Zuul are still most definitely Zuul.

Return to “The Races”