The Zuul

All things Human, Hiver, Tarka, Liir, Zuul and Morrigi.

Moderator: Erinys

Bluehobo

Re: The Zuul

Post by Bluehobo » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:12 am

So I've been reading up on sots2 and have started fearing that I may lose "Super Happy Zuul Time :evil: ". Will they still be a playable race ,or will they just be referenced in the game? I just find that we are losing some interesting ships and gameplay without them. I know that it has been 100yrs ,but the Zuul are so cute in their own special way :lol: .

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:14 am

*chuckles* In my personal opinion, the Zuul in SotS ][ are more Zuultastic than ever. :twisted:

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

Space Voyager

Post by Space Voyager » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:02 am

Phenomenal!
ErinysSolForce Intelligence has great difficulty penetrating Liir society to that depth, for obvious reasons. fibioLack of scuba gear?

Keisari

Post by Keisari » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:52 am

Erinys wrote:*chuckles* In my personal opinion, the Zuul in SotS ][ are more Zuultastic than ever. :twisted:

Arinn <3

feld
Cassandra

Post by feld » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:05 pm

Erinys wrote:SolForce Brief, Xenoculture Branch.
Language, Morrigi: /ʒ/-/u/-/l/-/iː/-/g/-/iː/ Noun, proper, plural, collective. "Tribe of shool".
--Arinn

A question on the phonetics symbols above:
Does "/ʒ/-/u/-/l/" sound like "joule" spoken in French?

Thanks and v/r,
feld

edit: removed a question I answered for myself.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:17 pm

Yes. Morrigi have difficulty pronouncing the "z" in Zuul. The consonant tends to slide a bit.

--Arinn
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

Space Voyager

Post by Space Voyager » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:16 pm

He he he, Z must be a tough cookie with the beak and all. :wink:
ErinysSolForce Intelligence has great difficulty penetrating Liir society to that depth, for obvious reasons. fibioLack of scuba gear?

feld
Cassandra

Post by feld » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:58 pm

Erinys wrote:Yes. Morrigi have difficulty pronouncing the "z" in Zuul. The consonant tends to slide a bit.

--Arinn

Thank you and v/r
feld

P.S. I'm having great fun trying to figure out what "tribe of shool" meant to them and why the pronounced Liirian word seems so similar to the Morrigi one.

Jabbawocky
Doomsayer

Post by Jabbawocky » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:12 pm

Hi Erinys,

I'm not sure if this has been asked or not (the search function didn't turn up anything) but I was wondering if you might be able to provide any information about "Zuulish" - maybe some words/phrases, etc. Also, I was wondering how the language came to be - is it based primarily upon Morrigi, due to them being the first ripped victims? Or is it a bastardisation of a number of different languages (a bit of English, Morrigi, Tarka, etc)?

Finally, a little off topic - but is there any word on whether the Deacon's Tale is being published? I'm interested in reading it but have been unable to find a copy...

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:52 am

No word yet on The Deacon's Tale. Sorry about the delays, folks--that's the publishing biz, unfortunately.

As to the Zuul language? The Zuul are capable of speaking and thinking to some degree in any language they've ripped, but they also have their own language. For those interested in translating the Zuulian which appears in the game (as the names of ships, etc.), the nearest human equivalents are in Cambodia.

The Zuul use very graphic bodily metaphors to express states of mind. "Chett Thom" and "Thlaoem Thom", for example--"Enlarged Heart" and "Swollen Liver", literally--refer to the arrogance of ego which makes one fearless of all censure or reprisal. "Thlaoem Khmav", "Black Liver", is the characteristic of those who are particularly cruel. "Dach Chett", by contrast--"separated heart"--is cold detachment from the suffering from another. "Si Sach" is "to eat the flesh (of a sentient being)", while "Hot Cheam" "to sip the blood" is a bit milder.

"Etthi Pol", "Potent Power", is what the Zuul call their coercion--the power to crush another's will, despite resistance. "Amnach", by contrast, is "raw power", literally the physical strength and ferocity that they associate with the female. "Khoeng" is "rage"--specifically, the desire to kill when one is thwarted or opposed. "Karangsoek" is revenge--literally, "repayment to an enemy"--served at any temperature. "Kum Kuon" is a grudge, literally a "nursling" of rage which sips quietly, drinking from the teat of one's patience, until the moment when it awakens and is free to feed, with savage ferocity, on one's enemy. "Kdav Chett", "Burning Heart", is the state one enters when anger can not be suppressed. "Pchanh Pchal", "Complete Crushing" (of the enemy) is the desired goal in such cases.

"Machaskar", "Mastery" or "Lordship" is a social role. "Aek Areach" is "Independence", to be free of a master. "Korop" is prostration, the complete and abject subjection to another's power (Etthi Pol)--as when lesser races are made slaves. "Tveu Tam" is what a lesser Zuul does by choice, normally--"to follow and obey", the natural behavior of one who possesses inferior power. "Bangkoap" is to be commanded sharply, with an additional infliction of mental suffering. "Korop" is the word that Zuul use for "respect"--literally, the honor and obeisance which one owes to a father. "Sakti" is one's rank in the scheme of things: "Bonh sakti" is the rank earned by personal merit.

"Santesokh" is "security". "Baos Samat" is cleansing or purification--literally a "sweeping clean" of heretics from a region.

I believe that is a pretty good starting Zuul primer. ;)

--Arinn

Muzzy

Post by Muzzy » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:58 pm

Any particular reason for languages from Cambodia as a the basis for Zuulish? Just curious.

Verbreiten Sie bösartig Glee

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:39 am

Study of the Cambodian genocide. Many modern Cambodians refer to the Khmer Rouge as "the worms from beneath our own skin", which I always thought was a particularly horrifying image. And of course, a rather Zuul-y one.

--Arinn

duty

Post by duty » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:25 pm

It's a very good comparison. It takes a special kind of arrogance and a total lack of empathy to institute the kind of "social reform" that occurred in Cambodia. I had never thought of it before, but the reverse urbanization and the forced agricultural labor shares similarities with Zuul slavery, although the destruction of the intelligentsia was not as direct. The CPK couldn't rip minds.

Will the Lords of Winter be space Pol Pot? Or maybe the Lords of Winter were a Liirian version of the Angkar. It only takes a few radicals to wreak absolute havoc on a civilization.

Either way, you'd have a hard time finding a more brutal and cruel regime than the CPK. If this is your inspiration for the Suul'ka and its followers, then they are rightly feared.
Q: What's big, and red, and filled with shaped neutronium shells?
A: Everything in my fleet.

-a bit of Hiver humor

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:51 pm

There were multiple inspirations for the Zuul, all of them fairly horrific. I was asked to create a race that was evil, and the product of evil. I had to ask myself some serious questions about the nature of social, economic, and intellectual horror, and answer them without simply retreating to the old excuses and cliches.

The Khmer Rouge was only one source of the horror that is Zuul, and Suul'ka. There are others. ;)

--Arinn

duty

Post by duty » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:01 pm

I mean this in the best way possible, but it's creative minds likes yours that make me believe that telepathy is not necessarily an advantage in communication. Even a pleasant individual can have unspeakable nightmares cooked up by a powerful imagination. Socializing is easier when the nightmares remain in context. Unless you're Zuul, at which point I think the nightmares would go on display and be a point of pride.

Then again, I'm making broad assumptions about the nature of telepathy.
Q: What's big, and red, and filled with shaped neutronium shells?
A: Everything in my fleet.

-a bit of Hiver humor

Return to “The Races”