The Zuul

All things Human, Hiver, Tarka, Liir, Zuul and Morrigi.

Moderator: Erinys

kdonovan

Re: The Zuul

Post by kdonovan » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:05 pm

Naja wrote:Now that the Old Zuul are offically hooked up with the Domini Maiori, do they still use their old form of FTL transportation (node tunneling), or have the Masters imparted a new means of transportation?

It would be cool if they could choose which type to use. A race with two different drive techs would present a player with an interesting choice - do you use all node-bores, all Suulka (whatever that might be) or have some fleets with one tech and some with the other. Does a player try to transition over from one tech to the other during the course of the game as advances in technology change which is most efficient or does he stick with the older form in order to ensure his newer ships can operate in fleets with the older ones? The Liir-Zuul player might have the same choices.

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:23 pm

Liir don't react well to nodespace, so it wouldn't make much sense for their ships to utilize it. Especially not the Zuul-version.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Launch apathy protocols. Visual rotational thrusters engaged. Scroll command to HAND/DEXTER/02 received. Submitting pressure request to location Left Mouse. Visual augur confirms hit on Planetary Annihilation General Discussion.

Naja
Doomsayer

Post by Naja » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:43 pm

The species' drive technologies are a reflection on their culture and their overall "theme" in the game. Seeing as the Suul'Ka are ice cold, sadistic, domineering and covert, I'd expect a drive technology that would reflect those characteristics somehow.

kdonovan

Post by kdonovan » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:57 pm

Naja wrote:The species' drive technologies are a reflection on their culture and their overall "theme" in the game. Seeing as the Suul'Ka are ice cold, sadistic, domineering and covert, I'd expect a drive technology that would reflect those characteristics somehow.

True, but...

It might be cool if the drive tech for each race could be set to random for a game. So you never know which species will come with which drive tech. Too complicated given how dependent the ship types (such as Grav-boats, gates and rip-bores) and sections (node rings, etc.) are on the drives - but still might be interesting. Having at least one species with drive flexibility might be fun.

So what will the Suulka drive be like?

Naja
Doomsayer

Post by Naja » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:41 pm

We know that the Liir back-engineered their Flicker Drive from Suul'Ka ships left over from the plague. Mecron has also told us that Liir and Suul'Ka engines are completely different. In another post, Arinn has intimated that Suul'Ka ships enslave the consciousness of sentient beings much like the Shadows from Babylon 5 (that's where the word "screamers" comes from - the mental anguish from having your disembodied consciousness trapped in a horrifying machine).

My personal theory, in line with the Babylon 5 tribute, is that - much how Shadow ships "phase" in and out of hyperspace - Suul'Ka ships travel inter-dimensionally somehow.

Maybe the enslaved psychic consciousness of their ships help them navigate their ships, like some perverse reference to Dune?

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:52 pm

Naja wrote:In another post, Arinn has intimated that Suul'Ka ships enslave the consciousness of sentient beings much like the Shadows from Babylon 5 (that's where the word "screamers" comes from - the mental anguish from having your disembodied consciousness trapped in a horrifying machine).

I did remind fans of Babylon 5 that the "scream" of the Shadow vessel is the agony of the pilot. I did not draw a direct inference with Suul'ka ships. When you see them, the reason for this will become very clear.

Suul'ka and Screamers are NOT identical. I have said this many times, so please keep it in mind. It is actually rather important.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

kdonovan

Post by kdonovan » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:23 am

I sort of got the impression that the Suulka could manipulate time in some way - did they go hide in another time (or dimension/universe?) when they were driven off by the Liir (or whomever) before SotS Prime?

I wonder if there drive involves more a manipulation of time more so than space.

But then I am probably completely wrong about this.

Any comments from the developers (or anyone else in the know) on how the Suulka will travel FTL?

Will their Zuul allies/subjects share their drive or keep their own?
Last edited by kdonovan on Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

duty

Post by duty » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:30 am

So does that make the screamers not only slaves to the Suul'ka, but the power source as well? Just how fast could a Liir elder telekinetically push a starship? Or could a Liir exert enough telekinetic force to rip the universe a new node line?
Q: What's big, and red, and filled with shaped neutronium shells?
A: Everything in my fleet.

-a bit of Hiver humor

Naja
Doomsayer

Post by Naja » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:28 pm

How to the new Zuul regard the Liir? As superiors ("Mother"), or as equals? What term have they come up with to regard Liir?

nickersonm

Post by nickersonm » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:05 pm

Just a note: "mother" for Zuul is nearly synonymous with "baby food". They're born by eating their way out of their mother's pouch.

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:49 pm

"Father" would probably the more appropriate word, though i don't see the Liir really putting up with that kind of messy reproduction... they might have a word or ten to say about it.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Launch apathy protocols. Visual rotational thrusters engaged. Scroll command to HAND/DEXTER/02 received. Submitting pressure request to location Left Mouse. Visual augur confirms hit on Planetary Annihilation General Discussion.

Naja
Doomsayer

Post by Naja » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:18 pm

I think "Mother" would be appropriate, given The Deacon's exposure to the "Heart's Joy". Heart's Joy has become the New Zuul's version of "The Forging" (Great Father's memory), and was essentially a re-education of what "mother" means.

Golden Yak

Post by Golden Yak » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:12 pm

Like Naja said, I think the liir-aligned zuul will start to gain a new appreciation of what a mother is.

Regarding their attitude towards their liir allies, all the Black Swimmers seem to regard themselves as male, since they have no desire to bring children into their world. So 'father' or perhaps 'brother' would be a more likely term for the zuul to use... if they even go that far. 'Ally' might be all they're willing to consider them... unless the liir teach them a word for 'friend.'

Also, zuul women don't *have* to die to give birth - they can manually remove zuul babies from their pouches and put them into piles of prepared food, and the babies will wake up and happily eat that instead. Zuul babies never wake up and devour a living female - they only stir when the mother dies.
Nerts to this space-crap!

TrashMan

Post by TrashMan » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:52 pm

Where DOES the new zuul faction come from? The Deacon? Wasn't he locked up by SolForce?

I'd guess they released him on purpose to spread dissent among the zuul...or other zuul got captured and "turned" by the Liir....
halo07guy wrote: Praise be to Trashman! All will revel in his holy modding skillz!
And I say onto you: Blessed are those who play my mods - for they are good!

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:30 pm

The Deacon escaped from Sol Force captivity.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

Return to “The Races”