The Battle of the Jade Mirror, Part One

All things Human, Hiver, Tarka, Liir, Zuul and Morrigi.

Moderator: Erinys

The Magus
Doomsayer

Post by The Magus » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:19 pm

Writing Wraith wrote:
igotsmeakabob!! wrote:It just occurred to me to ask... how is Cai Rui's name pronounced? I assumed Cai is... Cai. Like 'high', but with a 'cuh' sound instead of the H. But Rui?

"tzi rue" with the "r" sounded with a slight humming/growl/motor kind of noise. Tone for the Cai surname would be 4th tone, Rui in the forth tone as well, I'd suspect.

The surname Cai is one of the 100 or so traditional Han monosyllable surnames. The given name Rui has the connotations of princely social standing and luck, if it's the one I'm thinking of and have seen as given names before.

Character form of the name would be:
蔡瑞

My mind is insuffecient to comprehend a tonal language...I think it would break if I ever tried to make it.
The teacher cut in smoothly, "Yes, of course. SolForce never fails to remind us how necessary they are to our...'survival'. ... It amazes me that the human race ever managed to exist, before you lot came along."

Cai Rui smiled thinly. "What amazes me is how quickly the human race could cease to exist, if we were gone."

--The Deacon's Tale

Writing Wraith

Post by Writing Wraith » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:20 pm

patton1942 wrote:
Writing Wraith wrote:
igotsmeakabob!! wrote:It just occurred to me to ask... how is Cai Rui's name pronounced? I assumed Cai is... Cai. Like 'high', but with a 'cuh' sound instead of the H. But Rui?

"tzi rue" with the "r" sounded with a slight humming/growl/motor kind of noise. <snip>

No, roll your "R" like RRrrr-icarrrrdo Montelban

Concarrr... wait, Ricardo Montelban?

Not at all how I'd describe the Chinese r sound. The tongue needs to be pressed more against the palate to make the sort of buzzing sound that comes with the syllables with the "-i" suffex.

The Magus
Doomsayer

Post by The Magus » Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:14 am

He was referencing a Taco Bell commercial I rather enjoy ;)
The teacher cut in smoothly, "Yes, of course. SolForce never fails to remind us how necessary they are to our...'survival'. ... It amazes me that the human race ever managed to exist, before you lot came along."

Cai Rui smiled thinly. "What amazes me is how quickly the human race could cease to exist, if we were gone."

--The Deacon's Tale

Return to “The Races”